Defensive Carry banner

Tactical pens

9K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Happypuppy 
#1 ·
I was wondering what others used to carry when they are not able to carry 'obvious' weapons such as their handgun/OC spray/knives etc due to workplace, on an airplane, etc. I was looking into the tactical pens that can double as a pointy weapon that could cause damage if used appropriately.

Thoughts?
Your favorites?
Ones to stay away from?

#4 ·
The first time I saw one, I honestly laughed a little to myself. But then I also thought how much it might hurt to get stabbed by one of those.

+1 on the self defense classes. If a situation comes to you needing to use a pen for self defense, that pen's not gonna be any good if YOU aren't any good in close quarter hand to hand combat.

#5 ·
I have actually gotten to stab a deer carcass with a tactical pen. We had Rick Hinderer (the custom knife maker) in my knife class and he let us use his pens in class to give them some "real world" testing and see what we thought of them.

I bought one that day.

Granted, a sturdy metal pen and even a plastic pen will do the job, but a good "tactical" pen (IMO) should will have ridges for a better grip and a nice pointy tip so that it can stab a little better.

I now have 3 Hinderer tactical pens. One of the big ones and two of the little ones (investigators). I have gone through security at airports with them several times and while tactical pens are starting to be frowned upon in TSA, as long as they do not have any weaponized attachments and do write like a pen, they are usually admitted. You just don't stand there and say, "Hey! I've got a tactical pen!"

I put it in my laptop bag next to the other pens and call it a day. I haven't even had a TSA agent look closely at it.

Yeah, I think knowing out to use it is a big plus. At the knife class we were taught knives but also substituted things like pens and tactical flash lights to show how what we were learning with the knife could translate to other defensive tools. It was a lot of fun and, yes, a pen will do a LOT of damage if wielded correctly.

PS.. I carry a tactical pen in my hand when I'm going shopping, etc. Not only can I use it for lists, etc, but a weapon in the hand is worth two in the holster.

As far as ones to stay away from? Stay away from anything that SAYS "tactical" on the side of it or ones with gun names on them (S&W, per say). They are very recognizable as tac pens to security. Also (and this should go without saying, but...) stay away from the pens that are meant to look like a pen but do not write (they just have a pointed tip but no ink cartridge).. those are expressly forbidden on planes.

#6 ·
I have actually gotten to stab a deer carcass with a tactical pen. We had Rick Hinderer (the custom knife maker) in my knife class and he let us use his pens in class to give them some "real world" testing and see what we thought of them.

I bought one that day.

Granted, a sturdy metal pen and even a plastic pen will do the job, but a good "tactical" pen (IMO) should will have ridges for a better grip and a nice pointy tip so that it can stab a little better.

I now have 3 Hinderer tactical pens. One of the big ones and two of the little ones (investigators). I have gone through security at airports with them several times and while tactical pens are starting to be frowned upon in TSA, as long as they do not have any weaponized attachments and do write like a pen, they are usually admitted. You just don't stand there and say, "Hey! I've got a tactical pen!"

I put it in my laptop bag next to the other pens and call it a day. I haven't even had a TSA agent look closely at it.

Yeah, I think knowing out to use it is a big plus. At the knife class we were taught knives but also substituted things like pens and tactical flash lights to show how what we were learning with the knife could translate to other defensive tools. It was a lot of fun and, yes, a pen will do a LOT of damage if wielded correctly.

Here's some pics of the pens.

Investigator

Extreme Duty Pen

Scale Reference

I hope Rick makes an Investigator that is the regular length of a standard pen.

#9 ·
Thanks couldn't tell from the picture, do one of you have a link that you could post?

#11 ·
I was wondering what others used to carry when they are not able to carry 'obvious' weapons such as their handgun/OC spray/knives etc due to workplace, on an airplane, etc.
A fist.

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

Reactions: 65108
#15 ·
I have a monkeyball, a weighted ball bearing wrapped in 550 para chord. Its more for asthetics though and for quick access to my keys. I think it would anger a BG more than hurt them. My pen light is made from aluminum and is pretty solid, it would be good as a light weight kubaton... or whatever thoes things are called.

#20 ·
I have a monkeyball, a weighted ball bearing wrapped in 550 para chord. Its more for asthetics though and for quick access to my keys. I think it would anger a BG more than hurt them. My pen light is made from aluminum and is pretty solid, it would be good as a light weight kubaton... or whatever thoes things are called.
I know making or selling "slungshot" is illegal in FL. Don't know about mere possession of it.
(12) “Slungshot” means a small mass of metal, stone, sand, or similar material fixed on a flexible handle, strap, or the like, used as a weapon.

#16 ·
I have 4seven tactical pen $99 from their website. While in the class no one even notices it. For me it is more of a novelty item that could be used for defense if you don't have your gun or knife on you. Some Tactical pens can cost up to $200 like Benchmade pens

#17 ·
The TecPen is a must-have for every mallninja. Order today!

#22 ·
I have a UZI Tactical pen also. It rights really nice and is very sharp on both ends. When travelling I carry it in my shirt pocket and 12 sharpened pencils in my brief case that are held together with two sets of rubber bands. That makes a really nice defense device when you need it and always goes thru TSA. (TSA) Terrible Stupid Agency. I have no use for them as they cannot stop anything from getting on a plane including the food service folks.

#23 ·
The original tactical pen was the ones we used for years as LEO. The matched set of cross pens. Metal and thin with a sharp point. You could get them in either gold or chrome to match ur uniform hardware. That's what I use to this day but only carry one the pen.

#24 ·
I have a Tuff Writer Tac Pen that is attractive, well made, and writes smoothly due to the Space Pen ink cartridge. Since Tac pens have become more known I don't risk carrying it through TSA checkpoints anymore due to it's expensive cost and the risk of confiscation. One drawback to many of the different tactical pens is the non-attaching top/cap. Many are threaded on the ink end of the pen, which is great, but when being used as a writing instrument the cap doesn't attach to the off end. This requires you to maintain control of the cap or risk loss.

Definitely look at the Tuff-Writer brand; good quality.

#25 ·
I have a Kley Zion got it free with something a long time back,
writes great and I like the weight and feel of the pen in my hand.
I Use it daily, I like it, and yes it could do some damage in a pinch but so will a rolled up magazine (the kind you read) in the right hands.

#27 ·
Never bring a tactical pen to a knife fight.

#29 ·
Before I got my permit to conceal carry a tac pen, or TP as we pros call it, I used to open carry it on my hip. Problem is that every time I went to into a Starbucks, parents would pull their kids close to them because they got an eye full of my Mont Blanc Ninja class. Then, after a 48 hour three week class given at my local Office Max, I put in for my class XI license and now carry it concealed. I had a local guy make a kydex holster that's tuckable. I'm telling ya that even when wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I barely print. My wife asks me all the time, "Are you carrying Thor?" I call my TP Thor. Scrares the bejeezus out of the dogs when I threaten em with it.
I'm saving my money to have a Crimson Trace put on that sucka. Watch out.

Reactions: PEF
#32 ·
Other areas to look into beyond tac pens and flashlights are objects such as a cane/walking stick or an unbreakable umbrella. Many times those who don't need a cane have flown numerous times and never got questioned (for legal reasons). If there is just a slight chance of rain from where you are at or where you are going you won't likely be bothered with an umbrella.

A couple major benefits a cane has over pens and lights include: reach to keep the attackers at a distance and you do not have to deploy the improvised weapon because it's already in your hand.

There are also a lot of weapons of opportunity out there. It's just important to identify what can be wielded as a legitimate weapon and which ones are more unrealistic you may see or read somewhere. For example you will read people talking about making a fist and having their keys stick out between their fingers. Heck, your average Joe doesn't even know how to throw a good punch to avoid breaking something. You'll also read things such as using their belt. That's great of you have plenty enough time. BUT realistically how quickly can you take you belt off and get it into the fight? I'm not saying it's a bad concept but is it realistic?

#33 ·
Other areas to look into beyond tac pens and flashlights are objects such as a cane/walking stick or an unbreakable umbrella.

Okay, I gotta admit, I was a bit skeptical about an umbrella, then I found this site: Real Self-Defense | The Unbreakable® Walking-Stick Umbrella
I'll be damned. Watch this guy split the watermelon then wail away on the punching bag. The ability to turn it around and use the J handle portion is actually what made me think it's not too bad.

#35 ·
I have concealed carried for years and I have always been amazed at the guy with a gun, no mag or anything else, or the guys who train to shoot and that is it. You will more than likely get into a physical altercation before you get a chance to get your gun out. You may not be in a position where legally you can shoot them but you can use an impact tool to break contact. HAVE OPTIONS, BE FLEXIBLE, TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. And that does not translate into shoot shoot shoot. One thing I hate is how people think the fight stops after a few rounds have hit a target. Sometimes that is just the beginning. *Rant off*

A tactical pen is a good less than lethal option as is a flashlight or a knife (but will draw less attention in certain settings). If used properly as a pain compliance tool they can be very effective. I find there is nothing wrong with having one availible over a Bic pen. Just a tip the more ordinary the better. Chances are you will lose your pen in a fight anyways as you will your knife. I dont do strider knives nor do I do annodized titanium Hinderer pens cause they are as good as gone when you really need to use it to protect yourself or at least use it to break contact to get to your gun or other devices at your disposal.

#36 ·
A lot of food info. I am carrying a Maxim tactical pen I think I got for $12.00 off amazon. Less than lethal options are really underutilized IMO by the average person walking about.

They can allow you time to get away from a situation, buy time to seek cover etc. They can be used more places, and its a lot easier to explain why you wacked some fellow with a stick, poked them with a pen or said Hello with a face full of OC Spray. vs stabbed with a knife.

Sadly knives are very often considered tools of thugs and criminals, another thing to keep in mind.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.