Stun Guns

This is a discussion on Stun Guns within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. After many many talks between her father and myself, my girlfriend still doesn't want to carry. She does, however, seem interested in having ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Stun Guns

  1. #1
    Member Array GrandZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    86

    Stun Guns

    Hi all. After many many talks between her father and myself, my girlfriend still doesn't want to carry. She does, however, seem interested in having a stun gun in her purse. She lives in the sticks and goes running when its dark every so often, so one with a built-in flashlight like the Stun Master lipstick stun gun would be ideal. Does anyone have any recommendations or know of ones to avoid?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array Ntensity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    17
    If you really want her to carry a stun gun (or she wants too) instead of say pepper spray, then I recommend the real deal. Best Self Defense Products: TASER® C2. Yes it's probably more expensive than any other "stun gun", but it is effective and no more expensive than the cheapest of pistols. Most of the "stun guns" work on pain compliance techniques and require you to be in knife fighting distance to hit someone. If the person has a strong pain tolerance or is on a boatload of drugs, they are very ineffective. The taser c2 works on the neuro muscular system to incapacitate. It also has a flashlight on it per your requirements and a laser as well to help with aiming. If it is used and left at a crime scene, taser international replaces it for free with police report. I have been shot with a taser myself (not the c2, one of the law enforcement models although they work on the same technology) and they are very effective.

    I do not work for nor am I associated with Taser International in any way, shape, or form. I'm just giving my humble opinion. If the C2 doesn't look like its going to work out, my next recommendation would be pepper spray and to skip the "stun guns" all together.

  4. #3
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,247
    Word of warning... All stun guns are not created equal and stun guns are not tasers.

    Stun guns are contact tools that only cause pain. Anyone experiencing a serious adrenaline rush, not deterred by pain or drugged to the point of not feeling pain can fight through them fairly easily.. and they are within arms reach. Also, the shock stops the moment the stun gun stops being fired with zero lasting effects.

    Now, there are a variety of stun guns on the market with a variety of juices that can, have and will pack quite the punch but they are all still contact weapons meaning that if your girlfriend is close enough to stun them they are close enough to stab, hit, punch, grab, bite, etc.

    Tasers are a distance weapon that is designed to override the central nervous system so that no matter what the individual is on or even if he doesn't feel it he should still be incapacitated and from a distance to boot. Also, the taser is designed to be fired, dropped and will keep firing for several seconds giving the firer time to get away.

    Now, no machine is perfect (not even a gun for that matter) and you hear stories of people not being affected by tasers but it's generally pretty rare. That, and the media has a very hard time acknowledging the difference between stun guns and tasers often confusing the two.

    If I were to carry a shocking device it would be a taser. I would vote for pepper spray over a stun gun or at least in addition to it because at least with pepper spray you get a little more distance and you don't have to wait until they are touching you to be able to unload a whole bunch of nastiness into their senses. Good pepper spray will seriously mess up anyone's day. Yes, it can be fought through (just like a stun gun) but at least there are effects that even people under the influence will still have to endure like the watering eyes, etc.

    So, in my opinion, if you're going to get her a stun gun, do your research and get a good one and add it to pepper spray. If you're going to get her a taser, get her a taser.

  5. #4
    Member Array GrandZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    86
    The only real reason she doesn't want to carry a gun is because nothing she wears would conceal well and she's not willing to change her wardrobe up for it. I do have some Fox Labs 5.3 pepper spray I could give her. I know for a fact that that stuff works when I got backsprayed while testing the stream.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #5
    Member Array Ntensity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    The only real reason she doesn't want to carry a gun is because nothing she wears would conceal well and she's not willing to change her wardrobe up for it. I do have some Fox Labs 5.3 pepper spray I could give her. I know for a fact that that stuff works when I got backsprayed while testing the stream.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

    As per my original suggestion, if she doesn't want a taser as well because of the size, I'd skip the stun gun all together and give her the fox labs. Fox is great stuff and 5.3 million SHU hurts. Its what I use when I use spray as well.
    Brad426 and Old School like this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array Happypuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Small Town USA
    Posts
    824
    The above mentioned Stun Gun is the beat of them IMO. I too would go with OC spray such as the Fox 5.3 , Cold Steel or Sabre. All OC spray is not the same either , it comes in different strengths. If you have never been sprayed, a blast gives you a new appreciation to non-lethal alternatives.


    Sent via Messenger Pigeon

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,733
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Word of warning... All stun guns are not created equal and stun guns are not tasers.

    Stun guns are contact tools that only cause pain. Anyone experiencing a serious adrenaline rush, not deterred by pain or drugged to the point of not feeling pain can fight through them fairly easily.. and they are within arms reach. Also, the shock stops the moment the stun gun stops being fired with zero lasting effects.

    Now, there are a variety of stun guns on the market with a variety of juices that can, have and will pack quite the punch but they are all still contact weapons meaning that if your girlfriend is close enough to stun them they are close enough to stab, hit, punch, grab, bite, etc.

    Tasers are a distance weapon that is designed to override the central nervous system so that no matter what the individual is on or even if he doesn't feel it he should still be incapacitated and from a distance to boot. Also, the taser is designed to be fired, dropped and will keep firing for several seconds giving the firer time to get away.

    Now, no machine is perfect (not even a gun for that matter) and you hear stories of people not being affected by tasers but it's generally pretty rare. That, and the media has a very hard time acknowledging the difference between stun guns and tasers often confusing the two.

    If I were to carry a shocking device it would be a taser. I would vote for pepper spray over a stun gun or at least in addition to it because at least with pepper spray you get a little more distance and you don't have to wait until they are touching you to be able to unload a whole bunch of nastiness into their senses. Good pepper spray will seriously mess up anyone's day. Yes, it can be fought through (just like a stun gun) but at least there are effects that even people under the influence will still have to endure like the watering eyes, etc.

    So, in my opinion, if you're going to get her a stun gun, do your research and get a good one and add it to pepper spray. If you're going to get her a taser, get her a taser.
    You can say that again.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntensity View Post
    As per my original suggestion, if she doesn't want a taser as well because of the size, I'd skip the stun gun all together and give her the fox labs. Fox is great stuff and 5.3 million SHU hurts. Its what I use when I use spray as well.
    Echo this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  10. #9
    VIP Member
    Array tacman605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas/On the X in Afghanistan
    Posts
    3,031
    GrandZJ. Welcome to the forum.

    I will echo what others have said. I was a Taser Instructor for years and they do work. Part of my instruction was to take hits with various stun guns do demonstrate that they are simply not very effective. Once contact is lost the pain is gone.

    The Taser is designed to give a 5 second ride where the C2 gives a 15 second ride, if I remember right, allowing the person to drop it and leave. Remember to any pepper spray is also a pain compliance tool. Even the hottest can take up to a minute to be effective and if the person is intoxicated or high it may have little to no effect on them. What hurts me might not hurt you and vis versa.

    There are several options to on body carry with different purses and bags so she would not have to change her wardrobe at all to carry off body.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

  11. #10
    Member Array GrandZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I was a Taser Instructor for years
    I could not do that. I can't stand changing batteries on cars just because of the one time I got zapped. Buhhh. But from the collective opinions I'll go with a can of Fox Labs 5.3 for her. Tasers are out of her price range and she has lost a purse before so I wouldn't want to have her lose a few hundred-dollar investment.

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211

    Cool

    They have holsters that go with the C-2 that look like an eyeglass case.

    http://store.taser.com/taser-c2-p116.aspx#back

    Lots of pepperspray to choose from. I like the MK 6 size for concealed personal carry.

    Less Lethal Gear | Stun Guns | Pepper Spray | qmuniforms.com

    OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

  13. #12
    Member Array Bill340's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lakeland florida
    Posts
    163
    My wife jogs with a 5 shot 38, tucked in a Smartcarry.com. I have to ask if she is carrying you can not tell.

  14. #13
    Ex Member Array Dennis90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5
    well studying all about stun gun opinions and viewing video clips about spice up apply, you might come to a factor when you are prepared to buy one of these factors. You are done with knowledge and product choice and now it's a chance to buy one of those stun weapons.

  15. #14
    Member Array patrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    Hi all. After many many talks between her father and myself, my girlfriend still doesn't want to carry. She does, however, seem interested in having a stun gun in her purse. She lives in the sticks and goes running when its dark every so often, so one with a built-in flashlight like the Stun Master lipstick stun gun would be ideal. Does anyone have any recommendations or know of ones to avoid?
    IMHO....A stun gun as some have said is not a taser at all...a stun gun requires you to be too close to the threat versus a taser or a firearm. I'd personally opt for and frequently carry a knife or two as well for those types of encounters when I can't get to my gun or when someone is trying to get to my gun..
    The question you have to ask is what is your girlfriend willing to do when the caca hits the fan? She has to be willing to act to stop the bad guy even if it means killing them. If you go into this dangerous realm of defense thinking you can't do this at the least get a weapon that works where you can keep your distance from your threat. Powerful OC spray or OC for grizzly bears and a brand name Taser should be a good alternative.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

  16. #15
    Member Array GrandZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    86
    I picked up a 2oz Fox Labs 5.3 and I also got her a Spyderco Delica 4 FFG with a 3/4" monkey fist lanyard. She is getting the hang of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

expensive stun guns

,

most expensive stun gun

,

most expensive stun gun flashlight

,

most expensive stun guns

,

most expensive taser

,
pocket size stun gun
,

ruger stun gun

,
stun gun for my girlfriend
,

stun gun forum

,

stun gun forum 2012

,
what if feels like to be hit with stun gun
,

who makes the hardest hitting stun gun

Click on a term to search for related topics.