Is Assisted a Switchblade?

This is a discussion on Is Assisted a Switchblade? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m Unless you are willing to fight it in court, many knife laws are written and enforced on the side of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is Assisted a Switchblade?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Unless you are willing to fight it in court, many knife laws are written and enforced on the side of the road.

Michael
    I agree,the line is so blurred,I do not carry assisted opening knives. In Texas and Louisiana many laws are made up on the roadside. I once heard a cop say a knife is illegal if you cannot hide it in your hand,whatever that means. You would probably beat the charge but who wants the ride over a knife?
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

2. Remove Ads

I did see a few assisted and autos that are nice as I surfed the web. I guess some of them would just stay home.

I should start preparing my Xmas list.

As long as its not activated by a button or switch (the kick on the knife is fine) it is not considered a switchblade.

I carry a 3 3/4 inch Kershaw Tremor assisted knife and have been asked about it but about it. I have even carried a full 5.5 inch Benchmade LFK with no hastle even when ive pulled it out. Just make sure your local ordinance. Some regulate 3.3 and some say only fixed blades so thats all you have to be careful with.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Administrator
    One thing that folks can do is have a look around at the types of knives offered for sale in local stores. Chances are good that if a knife like an assisted opener is being sold in store locally then it's legal or they would be pulled off the shelves.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    One thing that folks can do is have a look around at the types of knives offered for sale in local stores. Chances are good that if a knife like an assisted opener is being sold in store locally then it's legal or they would be pulled off the shelves.
    Wellll, just because it's available locally doesn't always make it legal. Prostitution comes immediately to mind.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

If I'm not mistaken, at one time, a couple of states made assisted knives illegal. That may have changed by now as most states allow spring assisted knives.

However, they are not defined by law as the same as a switchblade/automatic knife. They are two distinctly different opening methods. Just make sure your state allows spring assisted knives.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

well butterfly knives are illegal in Tx, and I see them for sale. So I would go more with check your local law. ask a cop buddy and see where it goes. Worst case dcall a lawyer lol
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Gotta watch City Ordinances also IIRC San Antonio has a law a gainst folding knives with locking blades that are under 5.5" when open,my kershaw 1/2 ton would get me in trouble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Re: Is Assisted a Switchblade?

It is considered a switch blade...if it assisted by a spring or similar means
    DON'T carry in Texas

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    USM1976 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    In Virginia if you can use gravity to open it, it's illegal.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    Texas legal definition of switch blade:

"“Switchblade knife” means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or
    retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
    (A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device
    located on the handle; or
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of
    gravity or by the application of centrifugal force."

So long as the operator does a portion of the work themselves, it's not a switchblade. Assistance by a spring is not considered a switchblade.

I cannot determine how this Barrage knife actually operates, but you need to re-read that statute because both elements (A) and (B) specifically states (A) "pressure apllied to a button or other device located on the handle" and (B) "...or the application of centrifugal force" both of which indicates the operator has to make a phyiscal move.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I agree,the line is so blurred,I do not carry assisted opening knives. In Texas and Louisiana many laws are made up on the roadside. I once heard a cop say a knife is illegal if you cannot hide it in your hand,whatever that means. You would probably beat the charge but who wants the ride over a knife?

I hope that the cop who told you if you cannot hide it in you hand it is illegal wasn't fromTexas because Texas has a definite length (5 1/2") upon which it becomes illegal to carry. Yep, even if I stopped you and found you caarrying a kitchen knife with a blade over 5 1/2", it would get you arrested.

Texas Penal Code 46.01(6)(7):

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.

(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.

But, with all this being said about knives, anyone can be killed with a knife shorter than 5 1/2"...

Distinguished Member
    No it's not a switchblade, but it is faster to get into action then a switchblade IMHO.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

...don't ask a cop...or a friend...read Texas law...HB 4456 of 2009...the law gives us the right answer...again

...side-of-the-road justice (not justice at all) stops when someone stands up to it and demands the law be the standard...as long as we roll over for it...some will be heavy-handed with our rights...

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...pdf#navpanes=0

http://www.akti.org/news/governor-pe...kti-texas-bill

Well; I can hardly believe it; I am putting the Spyderco Endura pocket knife I have carried for about 30 years into semi-retirement.

After reading a story where someone (turned out to be a New Orleans cop but just the same) came up behind a guy open carrying, put his left arm around his neck and seized his sidearm got me thinking, the Spyderco rides great in the right pocket hinge down great for rapid deployment. But if my right hand is occupied securing my sidearm I need something for the left hand.

It is very difficult to find folders that clip hinge down, and have not found a left handed hinge down, until yesterday. So if grabbed in a choke hold from behind, the new knife can be deployed with left hand only ready for "Operation Castration". New knife is on the top, out of the box it is scalpel sharp, ready for a little "surgery". The extensions on the blade serve as a hand guard when open and can be used for opening either with the index finger on the top one, or hooked on the pocket on the bottom one like the wave.
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links