New Knife Question

New Knife Question

This is a discussion on New Knife Question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I just asked a knive question the other day, but it seems my situation has now changed...and I'm a bit confused. Link to ...

Thread: New Knife Question

New Knife Question

OK, so I just asked a knive question the other day, but it seems my situation has now changed...and I'm a bit confused.

Link to my old question.

So after speaking to some of the police in this fine state it seems that some of them, in certain areas, are interpreting our laws in a way that is very concerning to me. The law is one regarding "Gravity Knives". The following is a cut and paste of the NYS law that I'm refering to.

- Section 265.00 4. "Switchblade knife" means any knife
    which has a blade which opens automatically by hand
    pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in
    the handle of the knife. 5. "Gravity knife" means any
    knife has blade which is released from the handle or
    sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application
    of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in
    place
    by means of a button, spring, lever, or other
    device.
    5-a. "Pilum ballistic knife" means any knife which
    has a blade which can be projected from the handle by hand
    pressure applied to a button, lever, spring or other
    device in the handle of the knife. 5-b. "Metal knuckle knife"
    means a weapon that, when closed, cannot function as a set of
    metal knuckles, nor as a knife and when open, can function as
    both a set of metal knuckles as well as a knife.
    It seems that some areas are enforcing this to mean any folder that can be "flicked" into the locked position with the wrist ....now, as I said in my other post, I'm no knife expert, and maybe I've only had el-cheap-o folders in the past, but I've never met a folder that I couldn't flick out...and an everyday folder is simply NOT a gravity knife...but with the way the law is written, and the political climat in the area, combined with the fact that I don't plan on living here a long time, make me not want to risk it. I actually saw a news report that seems to back up the position of the police I spoke with (some of the locals will know what I'm talking about here)...I'll see if I can find it and post it for more info...

So my question: Are there any good EDC folders short of the Buck 110 that can't be flipped with the wrist? If not can you give me some good recommendations for fixed blades that are easily concealed, readily accessable, and in the 3.5" to < 4" range.

actually, i just got the spyderco chinook II, and it has a pretty solid lock, and it has stiff action. the only way to do a "brooklyn snap" with is with a baseball swing. most spydercos have pretty stiff action on them; go for one.

Yep Spydercos are great. I have 5 right now and my EDC is a limited edition Delicia and you cannot just flick it out. You have to use your thumb also, but the large hole makes it very easy. I used to have a Buck knife and Applegate Combat Folder that you could just flick you wrist and they would snap open all the way. The Applegate was especially intimidating because the blade is very long.

Any traditional pocketknife where the back of the frame holds the blade closed is unflickable. I have a Camillus that is so tight I have to make sure my fingernails are short before I open it or they'll break before the blade moves. Of course, none of these traditional picketknives are fighting knives, but I think that's the point of the law. They don't want people fighting with knives, daggers, switchblades, etc.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

excellent thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of information I needed! :) Spyderco is one of the few brands that I have not looked at much...I'll have to go out and do some investigating today to see if I can find a place that sells them around here. I've heard nothing but good things about them too so that helps. That Waved Endura might just be calling my name after all...though I do like the looks of that Chinnok II as well!
    Thanks again for the help!

Just something to help you shop...
    If you don't decide to go with a spyderco (and I love those BTW), it has been my experience that knives with spine-locks (like the lock most spydies, and older folders like the Buck 110), and Frame-locks (not to be confused with liner-locks) place a little more tension on the blade thereby making it hard to do an inertial-opening.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Hi all, first time post here. (sorry if I get this wrong!) Seems like that law leaves room for assisted openers. I have a Kershaw Ken Onion. It doesnt "opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife." nor can you release the blade using gravity.

It releases by pushing on a screw on the blade. Does this seem like a correct interpretation? By the way this is a fantastic site. I cant believe how much I learn for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by lvnlg View Post
    Hi all, first time post here. (sorry if I get this wrong!) Seems like that law leaves room for assisted openers. I have a Kershaw Ken Onion. It doesnt "opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife." nor can you release the blade using gravity.

It releases by pushing on a screw on the blade. Does this seem like a correct interpretation? By the way this is a fantastic site. I cant believe how much I learn for you all.
    yep, assisted openers are legal here as long as you can't open them by flicking them open as I described in my post...I haven't been able to find one until today! Actually it was a Ken Onion design...the Cyclone...it wasn't coming out no matter what I did to fling it open...so now I'm off to look at a few others before I decide on one...the blade on the Cyclone seemed a bit broad for me, but the "Blackout" (I think that's it) wasn't "flickable" either so I think I've found at least two knives that I will be able to use...and to my surprise, both are assisted openers. I still think I'm going to go out and pick up a Spyderco too though since I've been chomping at the bit to try one!

Whats legal, and how LEO's understand the law are sometimes different. That sucks simply because you could be holding something legal, and still catch some crap because a particular LEO isn't sure of the law. It's a scenario you have to be prepared for when you carry a knife.

For that reason alone, I typically carry a simple straight blade in a holster. Around here it is extremely common to see since I live in a farming community. I find that if I dress fairly nice (I am young, and some people jump to conclusions if you are dressed any particular way) and make sure the knife is in plane sight I have absolutely no problems.

I have been considering a nice fold out knife lately, but I know that I'll be asked about it more often than not.

You would think it would be the other way around with the type of knife I carry, but it simply has been the case. Like I said, it's mainly because I live in a farming community.
    Beretta 92FS

PJH
    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    yep, assisted openers are legal here as long as you can't open them by flicking them open as I described in my post...I haven't been able to find one until today! Actually it was a Ken Onion design...the Cyclone...it wasn't coming out no matter what I did to fling it open...so now I'm off to look at a few others before I decide on one...the blade on the Cyclone seemed a bit broad for me, but the "Blackout" (I think that's it) wasn't "flickable" either so I think I've found at least two knives that I will be able to use...and to my surprise, both are assisted openers. I still think I'm going to go out and pick up a Spyderco too though since I've been chomping at the bit to try one!
    I have a Ken Onion/Kershaw Blackout and a Leek. Both are excellent for the money. I find myself carrying the Leek most often due to the ultra-slim design. I've lost count of the number of times it's gone through the wash clipped in my pocket because I forgot it was there!

-Paul

CRKT

Another good choice would be a Columbia River Knife and Tool. I carry a Voodoo, but there is another model on the same mechanism. It uses what they call the Tailwind Technology, which is a very stiff assisted opening. When it's closed it's closed, but when you get it about an eighth of the way open, it's gone. Has a solid lock and seems to be good metal, also made in the USA.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

CRKT also makes a some nice knives in the M-16 and variants. They have a knob on the blade that helps with quick one-handed openning, but it isn't assisted. The knob becomes a hilt when open. Good knives and not very expensive. Also check out the many Ken Onion designs. I carry a Kershaw Tactical Blur.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Sponsored Links