What do you guys think of the Emerson Karambit

This is a discussion on What do you guys think of the Emerson Karambit within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love them so much I have THREE! It's an awesome EDC knife. It has the patented "pocket hook" where all you do is remove ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By QKShooter

Thread: What do you guys think of the Emerson Karambit

What do you guys think of the Emerson Karambit

I love them so much I have THREE! It's an awesome EDC knife. It has the patented "pocket hook" where all you do is remove it from your pocket and the blade automatically opens itsself. Great for skinning, letter opening, or anything youd use a knife for. It's also an awesome defense knife since it has a finger hold and the curved blade. Anyone else have one?

2. Remove Ads

I tried, bro.
    But, I'm just too simple to really gain the most out of this design. Wanted to get some training from Steve Tarani, but never got the chance, and couldn't find anyone locally versed in the tech. I did, however, come to understand the first rule of Kerambit: do not spin the Kerambit. yup, sitting at my desk, yammerring on the phone, spinning said curved blade of destruction, and .............right into the top of my thigh.

Wish from time to time I'd more fully committed to it.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    I tried, bro.
    But, I'm just too simple to really gain the most out of this design. Wanted to get some training from Steve Tarani, but never got the chance, and couldn't find anyone locally versed in the tech. I did, however, come to understand the first rule of Kerambit: do not spin the Kerambit. yup, sitting at my desk, yammerring on the phone, spinning said curved blade of destruction, and .............right into the top of my thigh.

Wish from time to time I'd more fully committed to it.

dan
    Oh, I know. I punched a hole right into my knee with it once doing the same thing.

I think the Karambit is an amazing personal defense tool. But like a chainsaw, it's v-e-r-y dangerous to the careless or inexperienced. Don't know about Florida knife laws, but I much prefer a fixed blade karambit. Don't misunderstand, I like the E-wave feature & have it on my Spyderco Endura. But I believe SD knives are fixed blades, period. Simple is better.

Very nice Emerson though.

P.S. - Skinning? That I'd have to see.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Great knife, great design. Very hard to drop and next to impossible to disarm. Great for barrier removal and levering techniques. Check youtube for some Silat and FMA techniques. Sayoc Kali has some good stuff.

I love the Combat Karambit. Even more as a custom framelock. I carry it in my support side rear pocket for weapon retention.

ck1y.jpg

ck2h.jpg
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

The karambit (kerambit?) is a very cool design but, in my experience, a very technique-driven blade. If you aren't willing or able to put in the time to becoming proficient with it, you may be better off with a good, stout traditional folder. I own the Spyderco version and I tried for some time to work up the skills. Took some time practicing kali and silat, but I just feel stronger with other designs. Go for it, if it makes sense to you, though. Any good knife is handy to have around.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Best knife I've ever owned... and had stolen.(90% likely by someone I knew) Really bummed me out because it had a sentimental value as well.

Do you just wait for yours? Or can you let me in on a secret? (Want to sell one?)
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

I want one ... may even shelf my Kershaw lol

Administrator
    I have never been a fan of Karambit style knives. Not for knife fighting anyway. They limit you to a slash cut and so you are highly predictable in your attack to your opponent and therefore much easier to defeat.
    Sorry but, there is a reason WHY personal fighting knives have been profiled like traditional knives for thousands of years rather than being profiled like bananas.
    marcclarke and Spidey2011 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by MisterAvis View Post
    Best knife I've ever owned... and had stolen.(90% likely by someone I knew) Really bummed me out because it had a sentimental value as well.

Do you just wait for yours? Or can you let me in on a secret? (Want to sell one?)
    Cant sell em, I'm holding onto these, they're hard to get

I called emerson to order my first one and they told me they were backordered, so I asked if there was ANY way i could get one. I was pretty persistent. She told me that they had two that I could have if I paid a premium and bought them together, so I did it.

The other one I got from someone at a gunshow, he had it on his pocket and I asked what he wanted for it. He sold knives so he had ways to just get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I love the Combat Karambit. Even more as a custom framelock. I carry it in my support side rear pocket for weapon retention.

ck1y.jpg

ck2h.jpg
    Where in the world did you get THAT? I've never seen one like that

Administrator
    There are some listed on Ebay. This is the lowest priced one that is a Buy It Now - AKA you don't have to bid against anybody.
    Call it $240.00
    Emerson Knife Combat Karambit BT Black Plain Edge Prestige Dealer | eBay
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    These guys have some Karambit knives in stock.

Search Results : Warriors and Wonders

Maybe not the models you're looking for, but they also have a DVD on how to use it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Links