Defensive Carry banner

pepper spray

3K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Xader 
#1 ·
my wife needs some for walking from class at the university to her van. recommend me the best brand please. i have never bought nor had any interest in buying this stuff but it is her only option.

#7 ·
Which model do you recommend? Cone spray, or stream?

My daughter is one of those that doesn't need to carry a gun, because she can't say for sure if she could use it, and is not going to spend the time necessary to learn to use it, even if she would use it, so that option is out for her. However, she would use pepper spray, so this is a very timely post for me, as a campus apartment nears hers was recently broken into during the night with 2 female occupants at home asleep.

#3 ·
Fox, Sabre come to mind. Look for one that is easy to use and yet not subject to accidental button depression. I highly suggest getting a training one as well. The popular keychain types are a bit harder to aim. They come in several types cone, stream , gel and foam with and without a color/ultraviolet dye.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

#5 ·
I prefer throwing salt into their eyes and wounds....!

I go to Cheep - Dirt and buy a bunch of low end dispensers and liberally distribute them in our vehicles, around the house and elsewhere, so we are covered.

#6 ·
Aside from the brand and the size, keep in mind it must be in a dispenser she can get quick access to.
It does no good at the bottom of a purse. She has to be able to grab it and without looking, by feel and experience,aim it
and activate the device. It takes some playing around with these things and practice to get proficient.

I've taken to putting tape on one side of a Fox Mean Green dispenser. It took some trial and error to figure out how I wanted
to carry, which side up, which side down, and in which pocket.

And for all the playing around and practice, the one time I thought I might need to pull it--and with two different devices
in two different pockets-- I'd probably not have been able to get to and deploy either as quickly as necessary.

In short-- just buying it and sticking it in a purse accomplishes nothing.

#10 ·
For someone who doesn't train on a regular basis with pepper spray the cone pattern is by far the best way to go. You have to imagine trying to hit a saucer sized moving target with a laser vs trying to his the same target with a regular flashlight. The cone is much easier to get a face hit. It really is a splatter pattern more than a fog. What blow back you get is tolerable compared to missing your target all together which is easy with the stream pattern when your under stress and trying to move and spray.

Go with the flip top MK3 which is a 2 oz size. The flip top is easy to deploy and offers the best protection from accidental discharge. Avoid the key chain versions since first they don't hold very much, they don't spray as far, and they are more prone to accidental discharge. (There's a forum member here that will verify that with a great story)

Fox labs 5.3 is about the most carried spray out there and you are getting a good product.

#13 · (Edited)
Just go big and get the Bear Spray industrial sized canisters.

When it is empty, you can still beat someone to death with it - if that is what you need to do.

#16 ·
Keep in mind when buying, Wisconsin Law: Pepper spray only is permitted, meaning the spray cannot contain MACE, tear gas or UV dyes. By regulation, OC products with a maximum OC concentration of 10% and weight range of oleoresin capsicum and inert ingredients of 15-60 grams are authorized. This equates to between 1/2 oz. and 2 oz. of spray.

#20 ·
I don't recommend this. It only contains 2 shots, isn't accurate, and is around $40-50. Its also a good idea to always test your sprays after you buy them to make sure they work correctly, which isn't possible with this. Just my opinion.

#19 ·
Top brands IMO are Fox Labs and Sabre.

A good majority of the Fox Labs sprays contain UV dye, which is illegal in Wisconsin, so finding one that doesn't contain any isn't very easy. If you want to buy locally, Scheels in Appleton normally has a decent selection of Sabre and Ruger brand sprays (by the guns, next to the holsters/mags).

If you want any more info on OC spray check this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...iscussions/142088-all-about-pepper-spray.html

#22 ·
My favorite OC spray is the ALS Top Cop. Sadly they get all HK about the stuff and make it difficult for non-LEO/mil to purchase. It seems to act more quickly than the Fox to me, even though the end heat is somewhat lower (not that I could ever tell after getting hit with it). It may be worth the effort to buy but with Sabre and Fox being so much more available maybe not.

#23 ·
My favorite OC spray is the ALS Top Cop. Sadly they get all HK about the stuff and make it difficult for non-LEO/mil to purchase.
FYI, Top Cop appears to be available from Brownells with no apparent LEO-only restriction.

They also appear to have an OC grenade... :image035:

#24 ·
Just make sure you get a container that's large enough to have several sprays in them and have her practice with it at least once and make sure she is up wind and you wash it off well especially around the nozzle area.

The two depicted below are the Mark 6 .68 oz with clip and the Mark 3 which is the size most LEO's carry on their duty belt. Also make sure what you get has the "flip top". Have her carry her keys in one hand and the spray ready in the other.

If she has to use it make sure she sprays a copius amount in the face/eyes of the attacker and immediately leaves the area. Fox is an excellent brand of OC to use. I use the brand in the photo because Florida allows a combination formula of OC/CS.

click image to enlarge....

#26 ·
I don't believe that an OC spray with UV dye is illegal in WI. They refer to OC "mixed with other tear gas substances" as being illegal but the dye is only for ID purposes after it's used.

Many states restrict chemical sprays that contain other than just the oleoresin capsicum (OC) as the irritant.

This is directly from the WI gov site http://datcp.wi.gov/uploads/Consumer/pdf/PepperSpray157.pdf

There's a number on the pdf you can call with questions so that's what I'd recommend to get the straight skinny.

#28 ·
Thanks Xader. I'm lucky in that all of the channels sell it to me. Maybe ALS has backed down off their high horse, or Brownells just refuses to put up with it. Either way, I'm glad the lesser known product is out there for those that prefer it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.