'Dangerous objects' banned on Las Vegas Strip

This is a discussion on 'Dangerous objects' banned on Las Vegas Strip within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fireworks, sharp items and other "dangerous objects" are now off-limits on Las Vegas Strip. Clark County commissioners voted Tuesday on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 'Dangerous objects' banned on Las Vegas Strip

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fireworks, sharp items and other "dangerous objects" are now off-limits on Las Vegas Strip.

Clark County commissioners voted Tuesday on the latest ordinance aimed at cleaning up the popular tourist corridor. It comes after commissioners banned pets and unlicensed vendors, and put restrictions on people handing out pamphlets and ads.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports (Dangerous objects banned from Strip sidewalks - News - ReviewJournal.com) the ordinance won't take effect for about two weeks. But when it does, people carrying a dangerous object could face a misdemeanor charge that carries a sentence of up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

Banned items include toy guns, anything that can shoot flames or other projectiles, blades longer than three inches, and skateboards or roller blades.

Information from: Las Vegas Review-Journal, Las Vegas News, Business, Entertainment Information - ReviewJournal.com
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

2. Remove Ads

Why not post the part that is applicable to the forum:
    The ban does not apply to firearms.
    Capt. Todd Fasulo with the Metropolitan Police Department said officers will not look to ticket people for merely possessing the items. They will be looking for situations that pose a danger to the public.
    "The goal is to curb dangerous items that are in the public right of way that are used or displayed in a way that could be dangerous to the public," Fasulo said.
    marcclarke, sensei2 and Rollo like this.

To be honest,not everybody on the "Strip" is rational either under the influence,or some having mental health issues that don't like getting turned down for donations.I can understand the sword and flamethrowers ,Even being lawfully armed it would be tough reacting to a threat only feet away,not to mention the huge crowd of people that would make shooting a nightmare,I'd be carrying some "Pepper Spray" and be ready to Haul Ass.
    I guess "Jack Sparrow" is gonna have to carry a plastic "orange tip" Cutlass ARRRR
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Why not post the part that is applicable to the forum:
    The ban does not apply to firearms.
    Capt. Todd Fasulo with the Metropolitan Police Department said officers will not look to ticket people for merely possessing the items. They will be looking for situations that pose a danger to the public.
    "The goal is to curb dangerous items that are in the public right of way that are used or displayed in a way that could be dangerous to the public," Fasulo said.
    AND I thought this part of the forum was about knives and Other dangerous weapons not firearms
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

The ordinance doesn't apply to weapons carried for self defense as they are "not being displayed in the public right of way in a way that could be dangerous to the public". Unless you're juggling your EDC items while on the Strip, it's not an issue.
    sensei2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    The ordinance doesn't apply to weapons carried for self defense as they are "not being displayed in the public right of way in a way that could be dangerous to the public".
    The trouble I have with lingo like that is the fine line between rational and over-exhuberant interpretation of the words. All it'll take for an enterprising chief of police to "crack down" is to interpret such language in the typical GATTTOTP way.

I'd much prefer such a statute to be extremely clear and forthright about defensive weaponry, ie: Mere carry of defensive firearms and other weaponry SHALL NOT be deemed ... Short of that, IMO there isn't much to guard against such misinterpretation, once the politicos get pressed by the anti's.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

anything that can shoot flames
    That's an issue in Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post
    That's an issue in Vegas?
    I thought the same thing lol.
    Naufragia likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I see where the vagueness of "dangerous objects" is going to be trouble. My tactical pen (I hate "tactical") can be dangerous, but so can the Bic. Who gets to decide what's "dangerous"?
    Last edited by OldVet; October 20th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Has the new ordinance been challenged in court yet, to see if it exceeds what the county can do? It appears that they are limited as to what restrictions they can put in place.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I see where the vagueness of "dangerous objects" is going to be trouble. My tactical pen (I hate "tactical") can be danderous, but so can the Bic. Who gets to decide what's "dangerous"?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The trouble I have with lingo like that is the fine line between rational and over-exhuberant interpretation of the words. All it'll take for an enterprising chief of police to "crack down" is to interpret such language in the typical GATTTOTP way.

I'd much prefer such a statute to be extremely clear and forthright about defensive weaponry, ie: Mere carry of defensive firearms and other weaponry SHALL NOT be deemed ... Short of that, IMO there isn't much to guard against such misinterpretation, once the politicos get pressed by the anti's.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

Its gonna be a wait and see, until you get some gung-ho beat cops to get the marching orders from city hall to round up the usual suspects.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

O e more reason to never go there. :p
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Apparently you've never been there. There is so much more to Vegas than gambling. It is not the Sin City of old.
    Beans, ironmike86, Foxy and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

So the ban does not apply to firearms, and yet toy guns are banned. I fail to see the logic in that. Oh wait, it's government in operation. Logic doesn't apply. My bad.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Since Freemont Street is not technically on 'the stip', does all this nonsense apply there? Was there two weeks ago and the security was very high, to protect the tourist morons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links