"Modest," low-profile SD folder?

This is a discussion on "Modest," low-profile SD folder? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a folder with SD features (the main one I'm interested in is fast deployment and some design element related to retention/grip/keeping ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Modest," low-profile SD folder?

I am looking for a folder with SD features (the main one I'm interested in is fast deployment and some design element related to retention/grip/keeping your fingers from sliding onto the blade) that still looks fairly innocent and has a 3-inch or less blade. Preferably it wouldn't look like an alien talon a la H.R. Geiger--the more conservative the design, the better. Oh, and, I'd also like to not break the bank. Any ideas?

Yep, Spyderco Wave Delica. Fastest deployment short of a fixed blade (I EDC the Wave Endura). 3" VG10 blade. GREAT pocket folder. Gonna' cost you ~$60.
    RonCo likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

SOG mini Aegis.

Benchmade Mini-Barrage with axis-assist
    surefire7 likes this.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations James Madison 1788

I like the deep pocket clip on the SOG aegis. $40-$65 now as well depending on knife specifics. Not the hardest steel on the market but mine holds an edge great with daily use going on 3 years now. love the fat belly also. a great knife that won't break the bank.

VIP Member
    Kershaw Black Blur.Black Blur.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

If you're fine with a 3.4 inch blade length with 3 inch cutting edge.

SPYDERCO PARAMILITARY 2

Really light weight, nice gimping, good choil, thump ramp, fast deployment, compression lock, full flat ground, stainless steal liners, and you can get it in a bunch of different looks, steels, and the pocket clip is reversible.

Spyderco Paramilitary for sale - Blade HQ

I have the Earth Brown G10 model on preorder w/ S35VN Blade steel.
    SA MC Operator
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    G26
    Sig P238

I just bought the Kershaw Zing SS. ~$30 on Amazon.

Spyderco delica - repeat this three times!

i love delicas. They are awesome little blades for everyday cutting, but for an SD application, like the OP mentioned, I would greatly prefer the longer reach of the paramilitary 2 with it's the finger choil and reinforced steel liners. If the 50 dollar upcharge is too much, a delica is a great smaller EDC knife and it would be better than nothing in an SD situation. I think an endura would be a more affordable step up, but it doesn't have the same SD features as the paramilitary. I have a 15 years old gen. 3 delica and and gen 3 endura that I still carry from time to time and they both are in awesome shape after all this time.

The problem is, you want something affordable, under 3 inches, adequate for SD applications, and won't freak people out if you flip it out in mixed company. I think that's asking a lot. What you really need is two blades. A small one for EDC cutting tasks and a real SD knife for worst case scenarios. If that's not an option, personally, I'd go for the more expensive, larger SD folder because it will perform both type of tasks well and if it's a sypderco, it will last. I believe it's better to use a knife that is actually designed for self defense, like the para/police/military for non self defense purposes rather than hope a knife designed for ease of every day carry to perform in a life or death situation, and I don't consider spending $110 for a tool that will last me over a decade as breaking the bank.

Also, I like my SOG Aegis, as other posters have recommended, but just tonight it "scared" someone when I flicked it out. That SOG assisted open is awesome! lol

Let us know what you get!
    Last edited by pocketgroove; October 24th, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
    SA MC Operator
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    G26
    Sig P238

One of the best EDC blades out there in it's price range - KAI USA : Kershaw Product Details
    lyz_grace likes this.
    Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
    The Knife Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Knives
    Facebook - Instagram

I've tried all the folding knife opening methods from wrist snap, studs, flippers, holes, automatics, spring assisted, et. al. Once I found the Emerson Wave (on a Spyderco Wave Endura) I haven't looked back. IMHO, it is THE FAStest way to get a knife into action short of already having a fixed blade in your hand.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'll be watching this - I lost my Kershaw chive over the summer and am looking for a new EDC knife. My only problem is that most of my pockets are less than 3 or 4" deep. Really cuts down my options I did adore my chive, though, might just have to go back to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links