Sharpening

This is a discussion on Sharpening within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know of anyone local to NM or someone I can send my knives to for a professional sharpening?...

Thread: Sharpening

Sharpening

Does anyone know of anyone local to NM or someone I can send my knives to for a professional sharpening?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Find a kitchen supply store or at a gun show.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Invest in an Edgepro and you will be able to produce professional results yourself. I have had an Apex for several years and highly recommend it.

http://edgeproinc.com/

http://www.pvknife.com/webcat/ has them for $130

I like the Spyderco SharpMaker, nice and simple. Puts an edge on the blade. It comes with a DVD to explain how to use it.
    Keep your powder dry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    I like the Spyderco SharpMaker, nice and simple. Puts an edge on the blade. It comes with a DVD to explain how to use it.
    +1

I bought a new SPY 204 MF Triangle Sharpmaker off Amazon's website from Allsparetools.com and got it yesterday. I sharpened 5 knives with no problems. It was less than $60 shipped. The kit consist of 2 coarse and 2 fine stones and seem to be good quality.

I use a kit by Lansky that will put an edge on just about anything.

Lead Moderator
    I use a lansky, but opinion here (from some real knife pros) was get a Edgpro(I think) for a better sharpening. PM Betty for more info.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Go to Bladeforums and look for the FAQ about sharpening, by Joe Talmadge. It's very informative.

Also, there is a book you can find from various sources called The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening by John Juranitch. Get it. It's good.
    Last edited by Betty; October 25th, 2006 at 11:18 AM. Reason: fixing broken link

I used a Lansky for 20 years. Last spring I was up in Golden and stopped by the Spyderco plant. When I saw their SharpMaker I knew it was a winner. Now the Lansky sets idle. The SharpMaker is easy to learn and use. As mentioned above it comes with a DVD. You can sharpen just about everything you've got that cuts, shaves or skives. In addition to all my knives, I've sharpened scissors, scapel blades, box cutters, fish hooks, exacto blades, awl blades, swivel knive blades and touched up my round knife. There's not much it won't do. They've got other ceramic stones in you just want a traditional system.

Administrator
    I am still using my original old Lansky but, upgraded to the diamond hones some years ago. If I had it to do all over again I would go with the Sharpmaker but, I get a great razor sharp edge with the Lansky and so I can't really see investing in another sharpener for as often as I need it.
    I also do a pretty serviceable sharpening job just using NORTON stones and finishing up with a water stone and then a rouge leather strop.
    Everyone should learn how to put on a good working edge with just a stone or hone and no sharpening system. It's a good skill to have.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I just got my spyderco sharpmaker in the mail today...foundit on ebay for 46 bucks shipped...

I must be old fashioned. I still use a whet stone for the rough edge, then spend hours with a very fine bar sharpener getting the edge razor sharp. In the boyscouts we used to sit around the campfire sharpening knives late into the night. Habit I've never quite gotten rid of. My carry knife gets a few honing brushes on the rod every day. Wait, I'm in my 20's, how can I be old fashioned
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    If you are talking about the sharpener that has the triangular sharpeners , I fully agree. I use the same one. Excellent, professional sharpening that is simple to do in a short amount of time of quality steel. Just for kicks we sharpened a "disposable" blade on it and got poor results. I have found that a knife that is 440 or better will get a great edge with the Spyderco.

Links