beater fixed blade for belt carry?

This is a discussion on beater fixed blade for belt carry? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hi all, I've been carrying a pocket knife most of my life, got my first Old Timer on my 10th birthday. lately I have been ...

Thread: beater fixed blade for belt carry?

hi all, I've been carrying a pocket knife most of my life, got my first Old Timer on my 10th birthday. lately I have been wanting a small fixed blade as a utility knife that I can use when I don't want to dull or abuse my nice folder... IM looking for something relatively small, call it 2.75"-3.25" blade. and I would like a sheath that I can wear horizontal on my belt. the problem I am having is I wear a 1.75" 5-11 belt as my edc belt and need something that will work with this belt. none of the web sites give specs on what size belt they will fit...
    Anyway I would love to hear from others that may know of something that would work for me... nothing fancy, just something that I can be a bit rough on and not worry about it... A work Knife.

Since you've got some Schrade/Old Timer history, find a pre-'04, USA made Sharpfinger (OT-152). Have a nice horizontal Kydex sheath made with loops to fit your 1.75" belt. It would almost disappear on your belt, be light as a feather, and quick as a hiccup to deploy. I've got a similar project going right this minute.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Becker BK&T 2. US made from 1095 steel. Indestructible, and Ethan (Becker) seems to be a really nice guy (FWIW).
    ESEE or Busse are good, but 3-4 times the price. Stryker is also made in USA, but the same price range as the last 2.If you can't find a sheath, then it's time to fire up the ol' oven in the kitchen and throw a sheet of kydex in there.

Administrator
    Swamp Rat Knives. The Rodent Solution. 3.5" Blade. Very indestructible. Great ergonomics.
    You'll have to have a sheath made for it though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Scrap Yard Knives SYKCO 311 - less expensive. Also indestructible.

You can use and abuse the heck out of both of these.
    Figure that a custom Kydex horizontal sheath for either one should be about $35 ~ $40

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up ordering a KABAR BK 11. I saw some places offering grips for it, and as woodworking is what I do, I figured I can make some of my own if I want... I have scraps of Rosewood, cocobolo, Ebony, Redheart, Purpleheart... well you get the idea.
    Here is a pic of some of my recent work.

001.jpg

I make knives, and there's one wood I gave up on. It was black and white ebony. Now, that's a real hassle. Superhard on tools and belts, and next to impossible to cut. But I'm sure any of your wood choices will be fine, if you polish the scales properly and give them a shine with antique wax.

Congrats on your choice. Becker designs some great knives.

Sponsored Links