grays harbor washington knife laws

This is a discussion on grays harbor washington knife laws within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello new to the site i carry a snub sp101 and i have wanted a good fixed blade and i cannot find laws that tell ...

Thread: grays harbor washington knife laws

hello new to the site i carry a snub sp101 and i have wanted a good fixed blade and i cannot find laws that tell me blade size for conceal carry or what defines a open carry. im just not trying to get a fined or get in trouble. let me know thanks

I would suggest starting with the state laws, then checking the county laws to see if they have any additional restrictions. Individual cities may have their own specific rules as well.

It's best to be informed by reading it yourself - and I would definitely suggest reading the state laws first. They have some very specific language on what a "dangerous weapon" is. I think you are best off with a reasonably sized folder with exposed clip (like everyone has), unless you are going to be out hunting or doing some legitimate knife-required-to-do-it work.

Here is a link to get you started: Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Remember it's just a CPL - not a CWL.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    WA state law in the RCW makes concealing ANY fixed blade knife illegal. I'm not sure about the county, but with state law, any size folder is ok, any size fixed is not. The fixed blade is covered by the "dagger or dirk" description in the dangerous weapons section.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    WA state law in the RCW makes concealing ANY fixed blade knife illegal. I'm not sure about the county, but with state law, any size folder is ok, any size fixed is not. The fixed blade is covered by the "dagger or dirk" description in the dangerous weapons section.
    Do you know of case law or other info on that? I could find no definition for either dirk or dagger in the state law itself; only the proscription of carrying a dagger or dirk furtively with intent to conceal. A single edged blade is clearly not a dagger and a dirk is a pointed stabbing instrument so that would leave out skinning blades, sheepsfoot blades, wharncliffe, and possibly others.

Perhaps you are confusing it with Seattle Municipal code which does indeed outlaw any length of fixed blade.

So you can carry a concealed handgun in a magnum caliber, but it's illegal to carry a knife!???!

How does this make sense?

Welcome to DC, I can't help with your question but the logic amazes me.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    So you can carry a concealed handgun in a magnum caliber, but it's illegal to carry a knife!???!

How does this make sense?

Welcome to DC, I can't help with your question but the logic amazes me.

NOTE: It's a Pistol Permit not a Weapon permit. It's one of the details that needs to be fixed in this state.

Absolutely - the current laws really don't make much sense. "Keep and bear arms" doesn't necessarily mean rifles, pistols and shotguns. If your "arm" of choice is a dirk, dagger, "sand club" "slung shot" etc... it makes sense that you should be able to keep and bear them as well. This is what we have for now though! Could be worse.

Austin

Here's some bonus info: RCW 9.94A.825: Deadly weapon special verdict

Austin

At least Florida is sensible with our Concealed Weapon OR Firearm License. Best luck getting things changed in a way that makes sense.

The wife and I are visiting Seattle next year so kind of hurry up, ok? ;)
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Here's some bonus info: RCW 9.94A.825: Deadly weapon special verdict

Austin
    Interesting that it says "any knife having a blade longer than 3"". I had not seen that reference anywhere else in the RCW. Good to know.

And no, I do not have any case law as to the defnition of a dagger, but knowing the liberal nature of the populated portions of the state, I would not push the issue. Marriam-Webster.com says "Definition of DAGGER. 1: a sharp pointed knife for stabbing . " Most other definitions just involve a pointed blade, which could mean a lot of things. I have chosen not to risk this personally, as there are plenty of options for quick access folders.
    Walk softly ...

Sponsored Links