question about GERBER F.A.S.T 06 and PA knife law...

This is a discussion on question about GERBER F.A.S.T 06 and PA knife law... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it legal to carry a gerber FAST 06 in PA? i bought it at the local walmart. but from what i understand spring assist ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: question about GERBER F.A.S.T 06 and PA knife law...

question about GERBER F.A.S.T 06 and PA knife law...

Is it legal to carry a gerber FAST 06 in PA? i bought it at the local walmart. but from what i understand spring assist is not legal to carry in PA. im no lawyer so i cant be sure. i figured id ask here since there would be more experienced people here.

so whats the word did i just buy a fancy new paper weight or can i carry this thing as an EDC knife?

oh and my apologies if this is something thats been posted else where im new to the site.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    As far as I know you can carry a spring assisted knife in PA. I sure do carry one from time to time in PA. A SOG FLASH.

And my absolute best guess is that if you bought it off the shelf in Pennsylvania then you can carry it in Pennsylvania otherwise it either never would have made it onto the store shelf in PA. or it would have been pulled off the shelf shortly thereafter.

But, if you have any doubts you can call the State Police Barracks and they can give you a definitive answer on your specific knife.
    They won't trace your phone call and then knock on your door and arrest you.
    There is also no blade length restriction in PA so I usually carry a SOG PENTAGON ELITE II because I like a longer blade and with a small amount of practice it's just as quick to open as a spring assisted since you thumb it open as an integral part of your presentation out to the threat.

There is also some previous legal precedent that makes Butterfly Knives OK in PA but, since I think they are totally asinine knives I would never want one.

If I had it to do all over again I'd go for a SOG SPEC-Elite II but that was not available back when I bought the Pentagon Elite II.
    Badey likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

"And my absolute best guess is that if you bought it off the shelf in Pennsylvania then you can carry it in Pennsylvania otherwise it either never would have made it onto the store shelf in PA. or it would have been pulled off the shelf shortly thereafter. "

that was pretty much my line of thought as well. i just wanted a bit of re assurance. thanks for the fast response.
    ive been reading the post that some one made in another thread that contains the actual law. and its confusing as all heck.

Administrator
    Don't take the following as Gospel or anything because it's nothing more than a guess on my part.

But, personally I think that the Pennsylvania knife laws are intentionally confusing, conflicting, foggy, grey, and shrouded in mild mystery.

I think that PA. wants their knife laws to "read' that way so that if some bad guy commits a more serious crime and the Police need to hold him for a while until they can gather more evidence...they can hold him for a knife violation when they are unable to detain him for anything else.

Because I cannot IMAGINE how a group of supposedly intelligent people could construct such bad, abstract, nonsensical, undecipherable, State Law.

I mean if you are a State Legislator among other State Legislators and you need to enact State Guidelines and Laws regarding Knives or weapons and which ones are restricted, prohibited, and which exact ones are OK then...COMMON SENSE - Contact a knife and weapons expert - gather specific information about what types of knives exist "out there" - with what exact mechanical features - Learn WHAT is a switchblade and what is an "assisted opener" and what is a pocket knife and what is a Butter Knife...and THEN write a doggone worthwhile law and pass it!

How difficult IS THAT?

But, In Pennsylvania we constantly elect idiots and morons that have never had a single reality based rational thought so we get what we deserve I guess.

Links