Weapons in lieu of a gun

Weapons in lieu of a gun

This is a discussion on Weapons in lieu of a gun within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, What would all of you recommend for constant carry for someone who is not yet old enough to carry a handgun? (This involves ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weapons in lieu of a gun

Hey guys,

What would all of you recommend for constant carry for someone who is not yet old enough to carry a handgun? (This involves carrying on your person and your car).
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Assistant Administrator
    Wish I had the link - but we have a recent thread dealing with all sorts of non-firearm weapons suggestions.

That is what you need to see. Hopefully I or another can find the link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here ya go - well, it's about things that don't look like weapons, but, should help you maybe.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=14697
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member

Alternative weapons/retention issues

Quote Originally Posted by Risque007 View Post
    Hey guys,

What would all of you recommend for constant carry for someone who is not yet old enough to carry a handgun? (This involves carrying on your person and your car).
    Elsewhere folks suggested a cane. True, a great non-weapon weapon. But, it can take a remarkable amount of effort to learn to use one effectively without having it taken away. Cane retention drills are taught in some martial arts classes; and well worth while.

The same goes especially for a knife. If g-d forbid you are disarmed, your opponent has something to stick you with. So again, learning retention is important.

I think learning retention methods is important for almost anything one might use as a weapon. Guns too. A swift adversary with some training, not the typical street drunk, might just manage to take it.

The martial art "Arnis" is not particularly popular, but it stresses use of short sticks (or belts, or flashlights or bare hands or whatever is at hand) and their retention.

Your mind. If you can't find something to kill or maim someone with in nearly any setting, you aren't trying hard enough.
    I say this not to sound like a psychopath, but because it is the truth. I'm the first person to admit that I won't willingly go places which require removal of my pistol. However, even when carrying(99% of the time), I constantly look for ways to disable an attacker without the use of my firearm.
    Many times, we get caught up in weaponry, and forget to take care of the most essential weapon of all, which is the human body. Learn a good striking art, such as Muay Thai. Learn at least the basics of ground fighting. Keep your body fit, and your mind sharp. I'm very good at the latter, not doing so well at the first part right now.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Non firearm or cutting edge everyday item defensive 'tools' that all are 100% legal in every state be they carried openly or concealed:

* Large group of keys as an impact tool
    * Mini-Maglight keyfob as an impact tool
    * A half roll of dimes/pennies stowed in a pocket as an impact enhancing tool
    * A mini-can of hairspray or aerosol deodorant inones backpack as a blinding tool and escape assist
    * Single long shaft key with large head as a piercing/cutting tool

* Regular everyday casual/dress belt used as a impact tool or binder/garotte
    * Shoes used as a hand held impact/deflective tool (heel is most effective)
    * Backpack 'loaded' with a heavy book in the bottom
    * Lunch pail 'loaded' with dense/heavy objects such as apple(s) and/or thermos
    * Hands with raised edge ring(s) e.g. classring as an impact tool
    * Pencil as a piercing tool
    * Bicycle lock or standard 'Master' type lock attached to a chain/cable/heavy string as an impact tool
    * Wooden hairbrush

* Sharp edged comb or hair pick

* Hair stay/pin

* Letter opener

* C or D cell Maglight

* Screwdriver (standard, mini, or jewlers sized)

* Ruler (preferably wooden but plastic will work)

All of the above I've used at one time or another defensively at the advisory of my mother, or seen used on others (belt, wooden hairbrush, and hairpick), and I've been stabbed upon being jumped by a kid with a #2 pencil. He got me in the back as I turned away thinking I'd beaten him back.
    I grew up in Wash., D.C. and MD going through schools in PG and Montgomery counties. I've had lots of fights and seen even more that almost always involved a weapon of some sort, none involving a firearm which in my time was something generally reserved for older folks and crossed over into hard crime hoods.
    There are atleast a hundred viable and very effective non firearm devices, tools and everyday objects that can be used defensively to high effect.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; October 4th, 2006 at 11:59 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

good points (pun intended) Janq.

btw - re your avatar - "Man on Fire" is one of my all time favorite movies.

Agreed Steve, an entertaining sleeper of a movie it was.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Ruler (preferably wooden but plastic will work)
    Janq, I have a Westcott Aluminum Ruler (13618) that I bought for travelling. It has a beveled edge on one side and the other side is groved with a 1/8th" wide steel cutting edge. It will not bend nor will it break easily since it is 1/8th" thick at its thickest point. It is about 1.25" wide. Costs about $9.00 at Office Depot. Drop it in a portfolio or have it on your desk and no one will even notice.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

George,

The thing about metal rulers is that trying to keep hold of one in winter is tough as metal gets cold. I the summer with a sweaty palm from fighting/nerves it's equally difficult. Also they make those to be very thin which makes life hard for holding on/retaining it if need be.
    With an old school wooden ruler they are most often thick and dense good for slapping a person defensively or offensively. The plastic ones are slightly better than metal as they have thickness allowing for a good grip.
    But if worst came to worst I'd not shy away from a metal ruler if no other option were available to me.

Along the lines of work related tools for propeller head type students, a protractor open or closed would work as well.

- Janq

"Everythings a weapon." - MommaJanq

Jang is on the money. If you want some great impact gear, register at Total Protection Interactive, and look up "Todd1" and "Dissector"- the sap-n-jack kings. They also make some purpose-built, but "improvised" striking implements, as well.

I can highly recommend the waved Spydercos, and Kershaw's Boa and Leek, for rapid, one-handed, folding knives.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    George,

The thing about metal rulers is that trying to keep hold of one in winter is tough as metal gets cold. I the summer with a sweaty palm from fighting/nerves it's equally difficult. Also they make those to be very thin which makes life hard for holding on/retaining it if need be.
    With an old school wooden ruler they are most often thick and dense good for slapping a person defensively or offensively. The plastic ones are slightly better than metal as they have thickness allowing for a good grip.
    But if worst came to worst I'd not shy away from a metal ruler if no other option were available to me.

Along the lines of work related tools for propeller head type students, a protractor open or closed would work as well.

- Janq

"Everythings a weapon." - MommaJanq
    Janq, the Westcott has a groove in the back about 3/4" wide that runs the length of the ruler and has a rubber non-skid piece in it. When I grip it with the back toward my palm the non-skid surface rides right along the pads below the fingers and doesn't slip at all. Steel rulers tend to be flexible and thin, but this aluminum one is about the thickness of a wooden ruler that has one edge beveled. It weighs a bit more than a wooden ruler, but is much stronger. You can use the end for prodding, the flat for a slap, and coming down with the beveled edge will break skin easily. If you used the back edge with the steel rod in it you can easily break bones in a hand.

The photos that are on the web of this ruler are poor, so this afternoon I'll take some and post them. I looked at a lot of wooden rulers before settling on this particular aluminum one. By the way I have a 35 or 40 year old three sided ruler of the kind used in drafting. It will do a job on someone as well.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member

Picture of Westcott Ruler

View of bevel

End view

Back with non-skid rubber insert

This last image shows the steel insert on the back side.
    George

Worked with a young lady once who was jumped by three drunks with illeagal activities on their mind in our back parking lot. It was late, she was mean and carried a screwdriver. By the time we got there the three were down to two needing emergency care and one unconcious soul who would be walking funny for a few hours. The cops question was "that little girl did this with a screwdriver?"
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Now that is a ruler!! :D

George you have an exception to the general rule.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links