knife carry laws

This is a discussion on knife carry laws within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a limit to how many knives can be carried by any one person? For example i have a shoulder holster that carries three ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: knife carry laws

knife carry laws

Is there a limit to how many knives can be carried by any one person? For example i have a shoulder holster that carries three 5 1/2 inch throwing knives as well as i carry a custom made kukhri fighting knife and a boot knife. My kukhri is the only one that is over 3 1/2 inches long. "8 inch long blade"

2. Remove Ads

I have never seen such a limit, but you might want to look here:

KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS

Handgunlaw.us

http://www.akti.org/legislation/finding-knife-laws

A careful read of the Arkansas Statutes should yield an answer.

A Google search as in "knife laws USA" will provide a lot of reading opportunities. Of course, you have to live with the results, so read carefully!

Welcome to the forum too!
    limatunes and ANGLICO like this.

Thanks I'll look into it

The info from the provided link doesn't look favorable in Arkansas.

In MD, you can carry a folding knife of just about any size, but a non-folder can't be concealed.

As long as the knives & carry method all pass legal scrutiny, I've never heard of a limit on the number. But it might be hard (in the eyes of a jury) to justify being geared-up in public like a circus performer if you ever had to use one for SD.

Quote Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
    In MD...but a non-folder can't be concealed.
    Even with a Concealed Weapon Permit?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker
    ... Even with a Concealed Weapon Permit?
    All I found so far for MD re carrying:

4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun.
    (b) Exceptions.- This section does not prohibit:
    (2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

--------------

and about knives:

Dangerous weapon under MD Criminal Article CR 4-101 a 5i

4-101. Dangerous weapons.

(5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(ii) "Weapon" does not include:

1. a handgun; or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

In Kentucky, if you don't have a nice, big ol' knife on you somewhere, we'll give you one!
    aus71383 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Just my two cents: In Arkansas IFF you do not carry the knife/knives as a weapon you MAY legally carry anything with a blade at or under 3.5".

Arkansas - 5-73-121. (a) A person who carries a knife as a weapon, except when upon a journey or upon his own premises, shall be punished as provided by section 5-73-123(b).

(b) If a person carries a knife with a blade 3-1/2 inches long or longer, this fact shall be prima facie proof that the knife is carried as a weapon.

Bernard Levine - Knife Expertise: Knife ID, Knife Laws, Knife Values
    Note a blade longer than 3.5" is deemed to be carried as a weapon thus you are in big do do.

5-73-120,121; travelling exception; sec. 120 bans carry of anything with intent to use as a weapon. A three-justice dissent in Garcia v State 969 S.W.2d 591 (1998) makes a good argument against the constitutionality of the 3.5" limit, with a good U.S. Supreme Court quote toward the end of the dissent. Sec. 120 was enacted after 121, and they overlap; 121 probably should have been repealed, and 121 is probably unconstitutional. Also, Nesdahl v State 890 S.W.2d 596 (1995) and Smith v State 411 S.W.2d 510 (1967).
    While one may argue the Constitutionality of a law all day long, unless you want to go to Court, I'd quit carry of anything over 3.5".
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; November 20th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.

Re: knife carry laws

Arkansas repealed knife blade restrictions, you can buy one as big as you want.

That said it is illegal to carry a knife in Arkansas for defensive purposes.

My Spiderco I carry is for peeling apples.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Arkansas repealed knife blade restrictions, you can buy one as big as you want.
    You mean this is repealed? Do you have a cite for the repeal?

5-73-123:

(b) If a person carries a knife with a blade 3-1/2 inches long or longer, this fact shall be prima facie proof that the knife is carried as a weapon.
    I guess you can carry as big a knife as you want (i.e. restrictions have been repealed), but it is assumed it is carried as a weapon and thus a criminal act. Do I misunderstand?

I can buy many types of knives in many places that are illegal to carry. What can be bought means nothing.

Re: knife carry laws

5-73-121 was the section that dealt with blade size and also things like butterfly knives - it was repealed.
    5-73-120 remains in effect.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

knife carry laws

I looked at the Texas laws and its says switchblades and spring blades are prohibited but I didn't see any further clarification of what they mean by those terms. Would a regular pocket knife with assisted spring open fall in this category, or even a knife with push button open like in the link below?

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Dalton-...Automatic--977

???? I got an email saying people replied but now I see nothing?

Links