Help me pick a knife for my son

This is a discussion on Help me pick a knife for my son within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would encourage you to consider adding just a little to get a good quality knife. My personal two all time favorites that I've used ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Help me pick a knife for my son

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I would encourage you to consider adding just a little to get a good quality knife. My personal two all time favorites that I've used more than all of my other knives combined are:

Benchmade Axis Lock Griptillian: Benchmade Griptilian reviews, styles, and other information about the Griptilian style EDC knife.

And in fixed blade the Essee Izula II: ESEE Knives

The grip on the Izula II even fit's larger hands perfectly. Either of these knives will last him a lifetime; their quality and design are about perfect. The Benchmade is in my pocket every day but when I head to the woods or water, the Izula comes with me.

Gideon

2. Remove Ads

+3 for a Buck knife. The 110 may be a bit big but they have some smaller folding knives. They last a lifetime. Blains Farm and Fleet has them on sale and I think you can order online from them. The 55 may be a good size, I think the blade is 2 3/4". Every review I have read on Buck knives states they are very sharp and last a long time. Blain's Farm & Fleet - Great Brands, Great Values

In a folder, I'm fairly fond of the Spyderco Native FRN (C41PBK). Durable, reliable, simple, S30V steel. ~$75 at Walmart, Amazon, elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    And in fixed blade the Essee Izula II: ESEE Knives

The grip on the Izula II even fit's larger hands perfectly. Either of these knives will last him a lifetime; their quality and design are about perfect.
    Yes. For a fixed-blade knife, something under 3in, this is what I would suggest as well. 2-1/2in blade, well made. If willing to go larger, the ESEE-4, -5 or -6 are exceptional too. As suggested, they'll last forever and be able to tackle just about anything. Can be found for $75 or so (ie, at Knife Outlet).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Im partial to cold steel knives. In that price range it might be tough however.

ESEE Izula II...hands down!

The Kershaw Leek is a nice cheap knife.

Help me pick a knife for my son

Spyderco Delica would be my reccomendation

Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

It's nice to wake up and read that some of the American traditions carry on to this day. My grandfather gave me a Case jackknife when I was young. The blades I favor are for defensive purposes these days and maybe not suited for your son so I can't really offer any sage advise there. I just wanted to say thanks for reminding me of my grandfather and better times.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

bear grills scout is a good one, but my grand father gave me a buck knife 110 when I was younger I still have it and still carry it on my belt on my left side in case I need it ill prefer it over any other skinned dear coons and much more I love it and ill always treasure it.

buck 112 can't go wrong for first knife .
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

I really appreciate all the responses. Thought I'd let you know what I got my son. He wanted a fixed blade and is a fan of KA-BAR knives, so I got this leather-handled Hunter knife with 4" blade. He loves it.

2013-01-26 10.43.28 (800x600).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    My 12-yr-old son is growing fast. He'll be man-size before long--his feet are already bigger than my size-9. He'd like a good quality general-purpose knife for Christmas. I think a folder with a clip would be most useful because he likes to carry it, but a fixed blade is also fine. After looking over the EDC threads I've noticed Spyderco, Kershaw, and SOG listed pretty often, so I'm looking at those on Amazon. Trying to keep the price under $50. Any recommendations?
    I've had my gerber ar 3.0 for a couple years and it is still going strong after everyday use (folder with a pocket clip). for a fixed blade you can't go wrong with one of those Ka-Bar mini versions of the full size fighting knives. Which to me sounds like a decent size knife for a young man of 12.

Edit: I didn't skip to the second page whoops. Glad to see he likes one of kabars smaller fixed blade :)
    Ransom likes this.

My first knife was a a 3 blade Old Timer. It worked great for all my kid needs. Stll have it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Spyderco!!!
    Hands Down.Check what they have on Amazon under $50 n there all good..
    But Kershaw has some folders for around $20 that are really good to..So check em both out

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Interesting people are giving recommendations when they don't know what the 12 yo will use the knife for. Carving branches? Cutting sandwiches?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links