Help me pick a knife for my son

This is a discussion on Help me pick a knife for my son within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 12-yr-old son is growing fast. He'll be man-size before long--his feet are already bigger than my size-9. He'd like a good quality general-purpose knife ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Help me pick a knife for my son

My 12-yr-old son is growing fast. He'll be man-size before long--his feet are already bigger than my size-9. He'd like a good quality general-purpose knife for Christmas. I think a folder with a clip would be most useful because he likes to carry it, but a fixed blade is also fine. After looking over the EDC threads I've noticed Spyderco, Kershaw, and SOG listed pretty often, so I'm looking at those on Amazon. Trying to keep the price under $50. Any recommendations?

I got one of these at the Punkin Chunkin contest in DE

Byrd Cara Cara

Amazon.com: byrd cara cara

A Mora is a good inexpensive fixed blade. Lots of folders out there but quality might be poor for <$50. I'd try to find something without serrations - then he can learn to sharpen it himself.

Austin

Nothing wrong with a mature kid getting a knife (I like Kershaw's), but make sure he doesn't forget it's in his pocket and go to school.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like the Smith and Wessons at big5, usually $12 and they work well. Also not going to be the end of his college fund if he loses it.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'd get a multi-tool. Nothing crazy. The Leatherman Skeletool is small enough to fit in your pocket like a regular size pocket knife, and it's got basic tools that are useful on a day to day basis. Screwdriver, pliers, blade, etc. The only reason I've had to replace mine is because I lost it once.

I absolutely love mine.

Leatherman Skeletool
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Spyderco Delica or Edura
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nothing wrong with a mature kid getting a knife (I like Kershaw's), but make sure he doesn't forget it's in his pocket and go to school.
    I appreciate the thought. He's homeschooled, but he does go to an academy a few days per week and he knows to leave it home. Any particular Kershaw you can recommend? Amazon has a $10 off discount on Kershaw knives over $50 so I was looking at these three:
    Kershaw Ken Onion Tactical Blur Folding Knife with Speed Safe
    Kershaw Black Shallot Knife with Tungsten DLC Black coating on Blade & Handle
    Kershaw Leek Knife with Sandvik 1660CB Stainless-Steel/CPM-D2 Composite two-tone Stainless-Steel Blade

I have two Kershaw Leeks, and my wife has a Leek and (I think) a Shallot. They are inexpensive, well-designed, and a good all-round EDC. We particularly like the assisted-opening feature for using the knife for chores. I would recommend them to you. For a fixed blade, the Moras are excellent utility knives. Don't forget the Swiss Army knives, as well!

I got my son a Buck 112 and had it engraved. Had my buck for 30+ years and he always saw it but never said anything until I gave him his for birthday. He then stated he always admired mine and was thrilled with his...

So, get one that may be close to what you carry as that signals to him that you have a high regard for that. Son's like to emulate their dad's in most cases... Nothing like feeding that beast...

If you don't carry, then I would suggest a buck... look for the ones that are still made in USA like the 112...

Forget all those chinese made junkers...

My 30+ year old Buck...

Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Re: Help me pick a knife for my son

My first real knife was from my dad too. I treasure it and still carry it. It's a Case stag stockman. The case store in Lebanon MO has a huge selection and good prices.
    BigJon10125 and Ransom like this.

If he doesn't loose things easily, I got a nice case pen knife, When I was a kid. Still have that thing. That was my first knife. and it's a Case. I like the uncle henry, knives too.
    Supraman762 and scgunlover1 like this.

Well I have no idea what to get a son, because I have no experience with that but my little brother loves his case 'trapper' 2 blade folding knife, one is the rounded type blade. He loves it. It's not one of those knives built for a 12 year old that no sane adult would carry. It is the same kind of knife my grandpa gave me when i was 12. Check them out I really think he'd like it.

NMB
    +1 for the Buck 112 with leather case.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

If OT is for more utilitarian purposes I revote for a buck or case. I have a case trapped that my wife gave me and I love it. Has that classic non tactical look much like the buck knives.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links