Good article on defensive carry knives

This is a discussion on Good article on defensive carry knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got this in an email from the Personal Defense Network. Its a really cool article on EDC folding knives for defensive purposes. Its a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tokerblue

Thread: Good article on defensive carry knives

I got this in an email from the Personal Defense Network. Its a really cool article on EDC folding knives for defensive purposes. Its a good read. I think I am going to add the lanyard and be on the lookout for knife with a thumbhole to make a wave cut also. All my current knives have either a thumbstud or a finger flipper. Anyway, here is the link to the article.

Optimizing the Everyday Carry Folding Knife

Good tips. Thanks for posting the article.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I got this in an email from the Personal Defense Network. Its a really cool article on EDC folding knives for defensive purposes. Its a good read. I think I am going to add the lanyard and be on the lookout for knife with a thumbhole to make a wave cut also.[/url]
    - Be careful with a Wave mod. You can ruin the temper of the knife very easily when grinding. IMO, you're better off buying an actual Emerson or a knife that has a Emerson Wave license (Spyderco, Fox Knives, Southern Grind, etc.). You can also do the poor man's Wave using a zip tie.
    hammer2213 likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Benchmade has a number of knives w/the thumb hole. Knife centre sells them at the Benchamade LE/.mil price.

ETA: just clicked the link and saw Benchamade was one of the featured manufactures
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

I'm going both routes:

1> Buying the Spyderco Delica 4 Emerson
    Amazon.com: Spyderco Delica 4 Emerson Opener Plain Edge Knife, Gray: Sports & Outdoors

2> Cutting the hole on my cheap Byrd (Spyderco) Cara Cara
    Amazon.com: Spyderco byrd Cara Cara2 Black FRN PlainEdge Knife: Sports & Outdoors

Administrator
    If you want to do a modification to WAVE then use a DREMEL at the highest speed setting with an abrasive cut-off wheel.
    Keep a wet towel handy to cool the steel off every few seconds. Wear eye protection because those cut-off wheels break easily and pieces tend to go flying at very high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you want to do a modification to WAVE then use a DREMEL at the highest speed setting with an abrasive cut-off wheel.
    Keep a wet towel handy to cool the steel off every few seconds. Wear eye protection because those cut-off wheels break easily and pieces tend to go flying at very high speed.
    I totally agree. It has happened to me a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    Benchmade has a number of knives w/the thumb hole. Knife centre sells them at the Benchamade LE/.mil price.

ETA: just clicked the link and saw Benchamade was one of the featured manufactures
    I have been a big Benchmade fan for years. I am currently carrying a Benchmade Ambush and love it. I think I am going to get me a Griptilian 550HG with the thumbhole and do the wave mod. I helped a friend to the wave mod on his cheap karambit folder and it works great! My turn.

I decided to give some of these mods a try. I picked up a SOG Sogzilla today because I liked the looks and it was affordable. I made a nice little lanyard and then cut a wave and finished off the edges. It works good! Its my EDC until I order a Benchmade Griptilian.

Given that I always carry two handguns, my folding knife (Spyderco Native) really is more of a tool than a weapon. I usually carry it in my support side rear pocket. The zip tie wave mod doesn't seem to work that well back there...and if I've gone through two handguns and need to resort to a knife, I'm in heap big trouble.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    As the article suggests all of my knives have a paracord lanyard attached.
    IMG_0051.jpg
    My EDC (SOG Trident) is a little complicated because it has a "lock" that keeps it from accidentally opening in your pocket, but it just adds
    anotherstep when trying to access the blade quickly.

I superglued it in the unlocked position and eliminated that extra step.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Sponsored Links