Smith & Wesson Homeland Security Fixed Blade Review

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson Homeland Security Fixed Blade Review within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Smith & Wesson Homeland Security Fixed Blade combat knife and I wanted to share my experience thus far with this well ...

Thread: Smith & Wesson Homeland Security Fixed Blade Review

I recently bought a Smith & Wesson Homeland Security Fixed Blade combat knife and I wanted to share my experience thus far with this well made knife.

First the specs:
    Overall Length: 13.75" (35 cm)
    Blade Length: 8" (20.4 cm)
    Handle Length: 5.25" (13.5 cm)
    Blade Material 440C Stainless Steel
    Handle Material: G10

I have been looking into buying my first fixed blade combat knife for quite some time and with what I was willing to spend (less than $50) this was the knife I settled on. I had read a bunch of reviews that sounded like they were written by 10 year old children so I decided to post one of my own with a bit more than "Great knife". I have had the knife for about 2 weeks now and it has survived every test I have put it through so far. I have chopped, stabbed, hacked, and slashed with this puppy and have not had even the slightest problem out of the blade what-so-ever. The blade is monstrous at .25" thick (6.5 mm.) I have even tried throwing it, but it was not at all made for this as it is far too heavy. Figured I would like to know if I could throw it in a pinch, but I definitely would not put my life on the line EVER for that.

Out of the box the knife has an Urban Camo finish which was one of the selling points for me because I love all that is camo'd. Many of the reviews I read critiqued the knife in a negative way because "the blade was not sharp enough to cut hair." That really irked me reading that because who would buy a combat knife to shave with? I wouldn't want a blade sharpened to an angle that is that sharp because it would dull quickly for the type of work the knife is made for. Even if the edge were super dull the knife came with a mini diamond sharpener (measuring 2 7/8" x 1" (7.4 cm x 2.5 cm)) that even has a removable pocket that Velcro's onto the sheath.

The G10 handles are affixed with 3 #10 torx head fasteners that are tacked together with some sort of glue. I removed the handle scales to ensure that the black finish extends all the way down (which it does) because I didnt want anything to get trapped under the handle scales and cause any corrosion to the blade. There are the 3 fastener holes and 2 larger holes (I am guessing for weight reduction) that the handles cover, and a lanyard hole at the very end of the blade. After the 3 or so times I tried to throw the knife into a tree there was not even a scratch on the handles (or the camo finish for that matter.)

Now for the bad part, the sheath. I was not expecting the sheath to even be half way decent as most other reviews said it was really low quality. They were right. after about the 5th or 6th time of pulling the knife out the rivet holding the rubberized insert fell out. Now when you pull the knife out the rubber piece comes out still on the blade. The design of the sheath is really cool, but for a $40 knife I didnt hold my breath hoping it was Ballistic Cordura or anything. There is the removable sharpening stone holder, and a Velcro strap with a snap button at the end for carrying the knife on a tactical vest upside down. Also a length of thin rope for securing the knife to your leg. I took this off and sewed on a few Velcro cinch straps which work much better for the time being until I can go to the next gun show in town and find a better sheath.

Overall I would give this knife 9 out of 10 stars, removing the one because the sheath's quality was so low it broke after 10 minutes. As soon as I can locate my camera I will try to upload a few photo's of the knife. Just message me for anything else I might be able to help out with.

Administrator
    Congrats. Pleased that you found a knife that you're happy with.
    Just a reminder to all of just how dangerous a poor quality knife sheath can be especially in a hunting, camping, or survival type scenario when you could slip, fall, or take a tumble down a slope.
    Make certain that your knife sheath is high quality & with good retention and that your knife cannot penetrate it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Very nice review.

Links