ASP Palm and Key Defender

This is a discussion on ASP Palm and Key Defender within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought I would share this excellent personal defense option for less lethal encounters. Those of you who work in law enforcement or know about ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brent2006

Thread: ASP Palm and Key Defender

I thought I would share this excellent personal defense option for less lethal encounters. Those of you who work in law enforcement or know about personal defense understand that ASP makes some of the finest products. Every one of their products has a lifetime warranty and is patent protected. ASP also has excellent customer service and stands behind every product they produce. I first started carrying an ASP Key Defender back in NOV 2000 and I have been 100% satisfied with this product. It is an effective personal defense option that is designed for law enforcement but is also for consumers who need to protect themselves. The unit is made of aerospace grade aluminum and features an integral key flail backup feature. Each Defender deploys multiples blasts of a 10% OC spray, 2MM SHU and 1.33% Major Capsaicinoids (the Capsaicinoids are the active ingredient in the OC that cause the inflammation. Bear Sprays by EPA Reg start at 10% OC @ 1.0% Major Capsaicinoids so the ASP Heat formula is extremely hot). If you decide not to deploy the spray or the perp needs to be dealt with more, the ASP Defender does double duty as an impact weapon or key flail. You can refill the Defender with replaceable HEAT (OC) or test (Inert training) inserts for about 8 bucks. You can get it in 7 colors and 3 option finishes.

Additional advantages of the ASP Defenders include:

1. The unit is discrete and the assailant does not know what you're holding until the OC is in his face.

2. It won't break or accidentally fire.

3. You can use it as a Kubotan and Key Flail.

4. If someone gets it away from you in a struggle they likely won't know what it is or how to activate it.

5. If you choose not to deploy OC or its ineffective you already have an impact weapon in hand ready to strike about the eyes and trachea.

6. You activate the unit on the same end you hold your keys. You can use your keys in a functional manor and still have the unit ready to fire without having to readjust the unit.

7. They are attractive, lightweight and low profile so women and men don't mind carrying them openly and in the hand. This beats having to reach in a pocket or purse to get to your OC.

8. The Design of the Defender makes it impossible to spray yourself. You can tell in the dark or in a stressful situation which way the device is pointed without having to look at the unit.

You can buy the ASP Palm, Key or Street Defender from Galls Inc, Midway USA, GT Distributors, Defense Devices or any ASP Distributor.

Below are some pics as well as the video where I took a hit of the product. It was very nasty and one of the hottest OC sprays I have been hit with.

https://www.asp-usa.com/store/defenders.html

ASP PALM DEFENDER EFFECT.jpg

ASP HIS HERS.jpg

ASP DEFENDER SPRAY PATTERN.jpg

I've owned a Key Defender for years and will ditto your testimony. Not a huge fan of OC in general, but this product can function as a kubaton and and deployed in other ways as you mention.

ASP is a top notch outfit that thrives on satisfied customers worldwide.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Senior Moderator
    I've had this on my keyring for a long time. Love always having it and no one knows it's pepperspray. They just think it's a big keyring. Great option.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I've had this on my keyring for a long time. Love always having it and no one knows it's pepperspray. They just think it's a big keyring. Great option.
    That is one of my favorite things I like about the system. You can carry it openly and ready to fire when walking, riding public transit etc and nobody know what you are holding.
    limatunes likes this.

Just watched this. And at about 4 ft he missed because of the wind...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnTMYVIVBpw

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    Just watched this. And at about 4 ft he missed because of the wind...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnTMYVIVBpw
    Yeah any OC can blow around in the wind. The good thing is in the Baltimore Country Police Study over 90% of pepper sprays were deployed at 3 feet or less. A good OC spray only needs to have a distance of 3-6 feet to be effective. Most advertisers market their products as firing 15+ feet and while that may be preferable, you aren't spraying pepper spray at someone across the street. The proper reactionary gap for most OC deployment is 3-6 feet. If it is windy or you decide you don't want to deploy the OC you still have an impact weapon/key flail already in your hand. I have read testimonials from people who have used this on everything from dogs, a hog and a woman in Dallas who used it to escape an attacker. It's a very effective option that has been street tested since it was first released in 1996.

Here are a couple of other great videos of the ASP Defenders in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiRB...w&feature=plcp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au8yULYwEJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgKUsdwHKKE

If you ever get sprayed with OC, all u can say is it works while u have a water hose in ur face. Lol
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Baltimore county did that study? That is where I live. And its illegal to carry OC spray as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    Baltimore county did that study? That is where I live. And its illegal to carry OC spray as far as I know.
    Nope OC Spray is legal in Baltimore County and you can carry it in all 50 states. In Mass you have to get a permit (go figure). IN NY you can only buy it from a licensed firearms dealer or pharmacy. In CA you can't have more than 2.5 ounces of solution. In Florida its 2 ounces and in NJ is 3/4 an ounce. But in Maryland it is perfectly legal to carry.

Here is the Baltimore County Study

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/162358.pdf

Overall, OC was very effective in the
    194 incidents where it was used (see
    “Officers’ Comments on OC”on page 6).
    A total of 156 (90 percent) of the 174individuals sprayed were incapacitated enough to be effectively arrested.
    Data indicate that almost all officers
    applied OC to the suspect’s face, as
    they had been directed in training.
    However, officers generally did not
    spray from a distance of 4 to 6 feet as
    instructed. In 144 incidents, the spray
    was activated at a distance of 3 feet or
    less; in 102 of these, OC was sprayed
    at a distance of 2 feet or less.

Links