Anyone know about TOPS knives?

This is a discussion on Anyone know about TOPS knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking about getting a survival knife to keep with a BOB. What do you think of these?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Anyone know about TOPS knives?

Anyone know about TOPS knives?

Thinking about getting a survival knife to keep with a BOB. What do you think of these?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    My psychic powers are at work....TOPS Knives....Survival...Bug Out Bag....Hummmm...The TOPS T.B. Tracker. <~~~

Was that a good guess on my part?

TOPS (in general) are good well built knives but, if you are contemplating buying the Tom Brown Tracker as a survival knife...please don't.
    It LOOKS like it would be some sort of "well thought out" do everything style of knife but, in actual use it is a true pain in the ass.
    And for most of what you will be wanting a "survival" type knife FOR like daily mundane & camp chores and processing meat/food etc...it absolutely sucks. You will spend the majority of your time wishing for a more conventional knife.
    Don't walk away from it ~ RUN!
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    This has the potential for being a great, valuable thread. I am chiming in because I have given the topic much thought recently and...as a matter of fact I will be off the forum and heading out for a three day weekend for a woodcraft shelter building event with a couple of good, decent, local young people.

In the past I thought that the BUSSE NMSFNO would be my "go to" knife for Bug Out inclusion but, that has changed. I LOVE that knife but, in attempting to trim carry weight it is a bit on the heavy side.

I am not one of these people that believes that "ideally" One Knife can perform EVERY TASK easily & perfectly - though ALWAYS "a knife" & "any knife" sure beats the Hell out of having "No Knife."

I also believe that some/most of the time a larger knife is better than a smaller knife...because while it's possible to do "small knife chores" with a large knife but, it's not very possible (or practical) - or very much fun - to do large knife chores with a blade that is too small or short. Well strike that...it's technically POSSIBLE but, not without expending far too much energy (wasting what could be too much precious time) as well as burning up too many valuable calories.

SO...I dumped the NMSFNO (for Bug Out purposes) & I replaced it with the latest BUSSE offering which is The Team Gemini. An amazing knife in every way for general survival.
    Then with that savings in weight I added a high quality folding saw (a SILKY) for processing wood and shelter building...etc.
    THANKS! Moderator Tangle for suggesting the SILKY...it FLYS through wood like the toughest wood is Styrofoam.
    Then I am piggy-backing the BUSSE Team Gemini with a small flat Scrap Yard Scrapavore in a custom sheath...the Scrapavore being a fixed blade suitable for ALL small knife tasks. It is a TOUGH little SonOfAGun!

And then as a back-up knife I (of course) have a Leatherman for pocket carry.

So...while it is possible to "shop around" for ONE knife that is (hopefully) not too big and not too small and not too heavy and not too light...blah blah blah...it is better to diversify if possible.

Of course this is all just one opinion that happens to be mine.

But, IF a survival scenario was such that I unfortunately lost all other knives but the Team Gemini...I could multi-task with it by choking up on the blade and I would feel suitably equipped in having only it with me for a survival scenario.

And (as a huge plus) like all BUSSE offerings it is damn near indestructible.

ALSO BUT...that is not to say that there are not OTHER great knives and great choices out there. The country is chock full of great knives but, these items are what I personally decided on.

Other folks will have other suggestions.
    DefConGun likes this.

ESEE Junglas!
    DefConGun likes this.

QKShooter: Good idea about the folding saw. I was thinking about a hatchet, but the saw might be better. What size and teeth do you recommend?

I was thinking more of a 56 function, Pakistani-produced, Swiss Army knife knock-off with cork screw, tweezers & a tooth pick.

Nothing wrong with TOPS knives, except they're all named like a Sylvester Stallone movie. QK Shooter makes good points & good sense. In general, I'll pass on any BOB knife that requires a leg tie-down, has double-edges or named anything remotely tactical-sounding including the word "Bowie". Any seasoned Deer Camp veteran can help you pick wisely 'cause it's the same fixed blade they finally decided upon. It's utility you're seeking, not a movie prop. It holds an edge but sharpens easily. It skins squirrels & cleans fish much better than it field-dresses monster crocodiles. It doesn't have to easily & repeated pierce oil drums without scratching because you're seldom attacked by oil drums, nor can you pan fry them to tasty perfection. Think trout, not truck. If your Granny is from the country, especially the rural South, go look in her "knife drawer". Pick something old, well-used, non-serrated with <5" blade. You'll be miles (and wide dollars) ahead of the vast majority of dedicated BOB knives.

Y'all stop-in when you can.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    I didn't want to buy them all to try them...so at first I watched a few more than a few VIDEO reviews and then I ran it by Mod Tangle since he does some tree work and tree climbing and he suggested the SILKY since he owns a larger one and knew quite a bit about the brand.

I did not want to go the hatchet/hand AX route do to the weight addition. So I bought the SILKY and to be perfectly truthful it was a tiny bit heavier than I expected it to be.

At first I said : ******! Until I actually tried/tested it. It is SO much less work than a hatchet or AX. It is just "a pinch, a squeeze, & an ocean breeze" ripping through both live and dead wood and the cuts are SMOOTH!

I'll post a PIC of the exact one that I have. I bought it on ebay using the Buy It Now & searching by the lowest price + shipping option.

It's the red handled Pocketboy which has the large teeth.
    Although the Medium teeth would probably work very well also.
    Worth it's weight in GOLD for the B.O.B.

Thanks QKShooter! Just ordered one off ebay.

QKShooter: Got the Silky yesterday. Thanks for the suggestion.

New Member Array thesurvivalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigarm View Post
    Thinking about getting a survival knife to keep with a BOB. What do you think of these?
    I have two TOPS knives, the Condor Alert knife aka CA99 and my newest one, the M4X Punisher. And I tell you right now, TOPS makes some of the best knives I have ever owned as far as buying knives that is partly machine made and partly handmade. I actually still consider the TOPS Knives to be handmade, but they do make their blades from stock steel. They don't hand forge their blades. But then again, many knife makers use some type of machines to make their knives. Some use kilns, ovens, grinders.

Some use power lathes and drills. It is not the same as cheapo mass production knives where the whole knife is made by presses and machines. In fact, I have only One knife that is handmade from the ground up! Forging of the steel, heat tempering, shaping, sharpening. It is definitely 100% handmade. No power tools at all. And that knife is a commando kukuri knife. But anyway, as I got off the subject herel yes, I believe the knives from TOPS Knives are some of the best knives made. Then again, I love knives that have a thick spine and a thick point! Take care!

I carry a Tops Interceptor fix blade boot knife under my trauma plate of my body armor in case someone tries to take my duty weapon and instead of being shot with my own weapon I can use my weak hand to bury it in the thugs temple.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Administrator
    TOPS are great knives in general. I am just not sold at all on their brain dead TRACKER.

These are some of the best value in a no frills Survival type knife these days for a VERY reasonable price - for how much knife you are getting for your money.
    Pick your desired blade length. They absolutely can take a livin' beating. The SYKCO knives.

Scrap Yard Knife Company

I looked them over, for the money, I'd get a Randall. Order one through a dealer and get it in 6-8 months. Some models available at shops like AG Russell immediately.

Randall Made Knives

Lots of great knives out there. I'm an ESEE fan and lean toward the smaller models (Izula-2, ESEE 4) as they're the most useful for normal chores.

I also have the TOPS Tom Brown Tracker - the thing about this knife is that it's really a tool to make other tools or to use scraping hides. Using it to filet a fish would be a mistake.
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigarm View Post
    QKShooter: Good idea about the folding saw. I was thinking about a hatchet, but the saw might be better. What size and teeth do you recommend?
    Hatchets and axes are heavier than a small folding saw. You expend more energy and calories using a hatchet or axe than a saw. A hatchet or axe is more dangerous to use than a saw, especially in a survival situation where your stress level is high.

Hatchets and axes have their place. Especially if you can carry the weight and are skilled with their use.

Sawvivor
    (plus a small can of WD40 to lube the blade = an excellent survival cutting tool.)

QKShooter likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links