I'm looking for a compact prybar/wedge

This is a discussion on I'm looking for a compact prybar/wedge within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My breaching tool of choice would be a Halligan tool - second comes a sledge hammer with a shortened handle, and a friend to swing ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I'm looking for a compact prybar/wedge

My breaching tool of choice would be a Halligan tool - second comes a sledge hammer with a shortened handle, and a friend to swing it. Using a small pry bar all by yourself would be a real bad situation!

Lots of the "interior doors" in public buildings like schools/malls/etc are the heavy duty fire rated type - a lot harder to get through/into than residential type interior doors.

One thing to consider would be an Air Wedge - they are light and small, and can make accessing locked doors much easier.

....which leads to lock picking. Not sure exactly what you do that you'd have an active shooter bag in the first place, but you may be able to get some lock pick training. A small set of picks takes up almost no space at all.

Austin

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yes, the FUBAR modified is fairly common in these parts, and works pretty decent. What I'm looking for is pocket sized, like the Boker.

Austin, I'm an LEO, with some extra duties. The idea behind this is a very mobile light weight pack with bare essentials I can grab with my M4 when I don't have time for the full ninja turtle kit up. The bag Im using is a maxpedition remora, adding some exterior molle attachments for a few spare mags. I like the air wedge idea, I'm looking into that now. I hate to admit it, but the basement savers have some dang neat toys too.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

mini Halligan! 23" long.....so not nearly as "mini" as the mini pry bar. ZAK TOOL | Halligan Entry Tools

Austin

You have boots don't you?

I thought Sixto would just need to ask the door to open, and it would immediately jump out of your way.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

i have the Boker COP Tool (about $50 on eBay) as well as the similar Wilson COP tool (about $140 from Wilson). the Boker is made from stainless steel, and the Wilson from D2 steel, which should be a little tougher in extreme use. either is fine.

I've used a CountyComm breacher bar at the FD for years. Cut windows and windshields with it. Broke some residential glass and pried windows. Opened a door or two with it. I think I've replaced the 550 cord handle 3 or 4 times. I even used it as a rope anchor once in a self rescue class. I made a sheath out of old firehose but CC now sells one. I had been using a Glock field knife on my SCBA, but one of the captains objected to it looking too much like a weapon. I chopped and pried a lot with that, but the blade was pretty nicked up by cutting some auto glass and wires. The Breacher bar was easy to touch up with a file and nobody objected to the looks.

For a real micro pocket sized one, I got the wife a micro bar from them for her keychain. She uses it all the time to open soda cans, etc. Saves wear and tear on her fingernails.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Emergency Rescue Mini Breacher (Yellow)

This is about 14". Would it be too big?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

004.jpg I carry this skeleton key pry bar it has about eight tools on itfound on ebay solid titianium pretty handy to go with strider lmf

Quality & Precision that's ... Dead On®!

click on the "annihilator".

I helped out our local range owner when he bought the building for the shop/range. We near 'bout tore down the whole thing w/ a pair of these things.

dan

CountyComm - EOD Bar Family

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I've used a CountyComm breacher bar at the FD for years. Cut windows and windshields with it. Broke some residential glass and pried windows. Opened a door or two with it. I think I've replaced the 550 cord handle 3 or 4 times. I even used it as a rope anchor once in a self rescue class. I made a sheath out of old firehose but CC now sells one. I had been using a Glock field knife on my SCBA, but one of the captains objected to it looking too much like a weapon. I chopped and pried a lot with that, but the blade was pretty nicked up by cutting some auto glass and wires. The Breacher bar was easy to touch up with a file and nobody objected to the looks.

For a real micro pocket sized one, I got the wife a micro bar from them for her keychain. She uses it all the time to open soda cans, etc. Saves wear and tear on her fingernails.

004.jpg this titianium skeleton I found on ebay has 8 functions

Boker cop tool

-BTO-
    -BTO-

Wow, thanks for opening my eyes to these. Although I no longer need to pry open anything so I would likely just resort to my crowbar, these would have came in handy back in the day. I've broken ka-bar fighting knives prying open some things before. I would be curious to know exactly what the above mentioned tools could handle.

I mentioned the Boker Coptool earlier and just found mine. It's a tough little tool that I find useful for things all the time.

-BTO-
    QKShooter likes this.
    -BTO-

Not "tactical" but I've used a Stanley Wonderbar to pry open and off lots of things like door frames and such. They make it in a seven inch version: http://bit.ly/13suBKX

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links