New Batons

This is a discussion on New Batons within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife saw these at a truck stop in New Mexico. She wanted the 24' and I decided I liked the 30'. They are pretty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Batons

New Batons

My wife saw these at a truck stop in New Mexico. She wanted the 24' and I decided I liked the 30'. They are pretty well built for being a no name brand, although, the carrying cases leave ALOT to be desired. They are flimsy nylon and require two hands to extract/draw. I think I will have to have some custom leather sheaths made. (any recomendations?) I was actually thinking of having mine made 90 degrees opposite of normal and inline with the belt and carry it on the back of my belt, above the two pockets. Probably won't but an intersting idea...

A question I have is are there places you can not carry these? My wife put hers on her fanny pack and it is out in the open. Hers really looks like a flash light to the sheeple... At a quick glance I thought it was a flash light at first and I bought it!

My intent was to not conceal them but to be suble about it...
    Last edited by Lew; October 13th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately, batons aren't "OK" in most places. If you do keep them, I would fill a canvas duffel bag with clothes/linens, and REALLY whack on it. ASPs don't bend or wobble after a good workout, anything else, I would give a good trial run to.

I definitely wouldn't open-carry these. 30" will have the swing of a short-sword- great for breaking through a mob, or fighting someone armed with a bat, but getting it solidly open in confined spaces can be a touch tricky.

I know ASP makes a flashlight that will screw onto their batons- I don't know if there are any after-market products that are similar, but, with the larger stick, that would be the way to go: flashlight head sticking out of your rear pocket, getting some knicks and dings. Won't get a second glance, after it gets a few miles on it. I know of a CA truckstop where CHP only goes with 4 or more cars, and they only get called after things are "getting stiff"- perfect for that environment. Use could have unfavorable ramifications, used in "gentler climes".

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In Fla. they are treated as concealed weapons. We can carry them(also a SAP or Billy) with a permit(CWP). I would strongly suggest that you check the laws of every state that you will carry it in.

Don't know what you paid but see the ones shown above at gunshows for $19.00.

I have the ASP brand, and that model is built very well. Mine was $62.00 however. I have taken approx. 13 hrs of instruction on it's use so far and gotta say that they are impressive.

With my instruction and practice, I fully understand why they are considered a deadly weapon.

Would finally suggest that if you are serious about owning and carring one of these "items",get some training .......and buy an ASP. --------

ASP? Have to look into that...

Sigh... looks like I am back to carring a cane. Very annoying....
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

The monadnock batons are very nice too.

Isn't that your nice extending tire checker? Safety is a must!

Hey, can we get a shot of the truck too? I love cool well kept rig's and want to convert one into an RV/pulling bad boy that I can pull with, travel in, vaction in, etc, and tool down the road in style. I have large 13,000 to 18,000 + lb equipment not including trailer and other equipment that needs to be moved to different states when we are following the work so I could justify the cost using it for both.

Didn't mean to get off topic!

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; October 14th, 2006 at 12:22 AM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    Check local & state laws. If legal get some training in using em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Actually they are laying on the running boards in the photos above....

That was my thought, is an extendable tire thumper... too bad I actually use an air guage to check the tires...lol.

My Truck on my dieing trucker site...

My Blazer Website

Lead Moderator
    So got any pics of the truck in robot form? Nice rig.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

DC Founder
    Nice looking rig, Lew!

I have an ASP and carry it in my truck (pickup) all the time and have considered getting the flashlight head that attaches to the ASP but already carry a couple of flashlights....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

My Blazer Website

Plumb Crazy Purple! Nice looking rig Lew, thanks for posting.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Nice looking rig Lew! I've been pondering the idea of an Asp or a blackjack in my pickup here in FL. Not sure yet.

Ti, gotta love those semi RV haulers. My wife and I live in a motor home now. Only way we can afford living in this area right now! Besides we are nomads at heart. If we weren't dead set on getting back on a boat I wanted to do a semi conversion myself. Pay a shop for the frame and sheetmetal and with my shop I could handle the rest. A major improvement over the standard RV fare.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

That is funny the wife and I were considering doing just that. Although we are just the opposite, we can handle the metal work, but the interior is another matter...

My Blazer Website

Unfortunately, we cannot possess batons in California; but a tire iron is fine!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links