Suggestions For First EDC Fixed Blade Knife?

This is a discussion on Suggestions For First EDC Fixed Blade Knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, after lurking and learning on this forum and others, I've decided to augment my daily routine with a fixed blade knife carried IWB. Any ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Suggestions For First EDC Fixed Blade Knife?

So, after lurking and learning on this forum and others, I've decided to augment my daily routine with a fixed blade knife carried IWB. Any suggestions for a moderately priced ($100 max) knife w/ sheath? Suggestions on max or optimum blade length for such carry? Very partial to Benchmades for my folders, and would prefer USA manufacture.

Links would be preferred as well...

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

VIP Member
    I really like my TDI Kabars, which, unfortunately aren't made in the US. Decently priced on Amazon.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Okay, flame on for not searching thoroughly enough. I just saw the thread on "Help me choose...", but I'd still like to hear opinions...

Cheers,
    Tom

Esee Isula 1 or 2 all I carry you can baton with it.

I think it all depends on your daily routine. For a fixed blade for every day carry I like the Buck 118 Personal with D2 steel. It's agreat little knife. If I was going into the bush I'd take something a little more substantial like the Buck 119. You may have guessed I'm partial to Buck knives!!!

Sponsor
    American made. Under $100.00.

Scrap Yard Knives "Scrapivore" or "SYKCO 311"

Bench Made "Nimravus Cub II" Make sure to use the discount code. It brings the Cub II down to $92.44
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Second the ESEE Izulas. ESEE is hard to beat. There is an even smaller ESEE called the Candiru.

As your EDC knife, are you a tradesman, craftsman and/or outdoorsman? Will this fixed-blade be carried in addition or as a replacement to your folder? Is your EDC knife primarily a utility tool or rather serving as a defensive backup to your handgun? Are there restrictions in your locale about blade length or number of sharpened edges? We LOVE to spend OPM (Other Peoples Money) around here & we're righteously-skilled opinionators. If you'll just dial us in a little closer to the details, we'll then be MUCH better at helping you answer your quandary.

BTW, welcome to the zoo!
    Betty likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    As your EDC knife, are you a tradesman, craftsman and/or outdoorsman? Will this fixed-blade be carried in addition or as a replacement to your folder? Is your EDC knife primarily a utility tool or rather serving as a defensive backup to your handgun? Are there restrictions in your locale about blade length or number of sharpened edges? We LOVE to spend OPM (Other Peoples Money) around here & we're righteously-skilled opinionators. If you'll just dial us in a little closer to the details, we'll then be MUCH better at helping you answer your quandary.

BTW, welcome to the zoo!
    All good questions. Primary carry would be for last-ditch self defense (I have a CCW, and always carry a handgun), but also for seatbelt cutting in both the truck and airplane (my office). I travel nationwide, so I'd have to constantly check the local laws, but if it's well concealed, who will know? I carry any one of a variety of Benchmade folders right now, and would continue to as a useful tool. Would probably sell the Mini-Griptilian Tanto I received for Christmas to finance this purchase.

Hope this sheds some light and provides more guidance...

Cheers,
    Tom

So far leaning toward either Scrapyard knife or the Esee Izulu II. Anyone know if there are scales available for the Scrapivore?

What say you about Tops knives? "Desert Fox" model? "Ferret"? "Baghdad Bullet"?

Sponsor
    I don't know if anyone is making scales for the Scrapivore but they are easy to fab up for yourself. Check knifekits.com for the bone yard specials on Micarta or G10 and screws and posts. Personally, I prefer a good cord wrap to scales on this size/style of knife.
    Last edited by luvmy40; January 3rd, 2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: SP
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Well, pulled the trigger (so to speak) on an Esee 3 from knivesshipfree.com this afternoon. Thanks for all the input, and to any of you who own this knife, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Cheers,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jambie View Post
    Well, pulled the trigger (so to speak) on an Esee 3 from knivesshipfree.com this afternoon. Thanks for all the input, and to any of you who own this knife, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Cheers,
    Tom
    I have the ESEE 3, you're going to like it.

Links