Defensive Flashlight for a man on a budget.

This is a discussion on Defensive Flashlight for a man on a budget. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just came back from a job interview that, if I am accepted, will have me working as an unarmed security guard for a hospital. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Flashlight for a man on a budget.

Defensive Flashlight for a man on a budget.

I just came back from a job interview that, if I am accepted, will have me working as an unarmed security guard for a hospital. From what I understand so far, the items I'll be wearing on my belt are 1. A radio 2. Handcuffs, and 3. a flashlight.

Many times I have heard people talk about using flashlights as impact weapons for self defense, so this question actually extends beyond what I do at work to my everyday life. What flashlight (within reasonable means of expense) would you recommend for defensive carry? At the moment (paying for schooling) I am pretty lean in the wallet area.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I think for a combination impact weapon, light, and cost, one of the Maglites would be hard to beat. Maglite is also making some LED versions now, but I don't know how the price compares to the incandescent models.

The Maglites are around the $20, varying slightly with model an size.

+1 for the maglite. You might be able to find a brighter light with better throw, etc., but you can't find a surefire for $20 that you can beat the crap out of someone with!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Brinkman Maxxfire. $20 at Walmart. Surefire-type tailcap switch bright as hell. I have two that I use as a pizza jockey. Bright enough to light up an address and front of house from across the street. Yes, I have run over them with my Blazer and yes they still work.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    The Maxfire is an excellent illumination tool at a great price, but it's not much of an impact weapon and that was one of the needs.

I wouldn't want to get struck with a Maxxfire.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    I wouldn't want to get struck with a pencil, but a Maglite is a pretty formidable tool.

Maglight

Try your grip on the C battery Mag. It seems to me to give a better hold than the D version because of the diameter. Feels more like a baton and feels better in my (average sized) hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I think for a combination impact weapon, light, and cost, one of the Maglites would be hard to beat. Maglite is also making some LED versions now, but I don't know how the price compares to the incandescent models.

The Maglites are around the $20, varying slightly with model an size.

you can get a regular maglite, then upgrade with an led kit from terralux later on at your convenience. i think the kits run between $19-$30.

Mag-Light.

If you want to use it as a baton, go with a 2 or 3 C-cell model. If you use "short-stick" methods, go with a AA Mini-mag
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Mag Lite for the budget minded........

Occassionally I see a two-fer at wally's world,a D cell and a minimag for 25 bucks......you can get the LED heads later if you wanted. The bulbs do burn out and you have to make sure there is no finger oil on them....the LED gives OK light, doesn't burn ut and makes the batteries last longer.
    Some guard posts may say something about having too big a light on your belt. Sometimes secwork is about being politically correct.
    The C cell is alittle handier than the D for impact work. And looks less menacing.........

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Brinkman Maxxfire. $20 at Walmart. Surefire-type tailcap switch bright as hell. I have two that I use as a pizza jockey. Bright enough to light up an address and front of house from across the street. Yes, I have run over them with my Blazer and yes they still work.
    Ditto this recommendation......
    For God, Family and Country!

get a d-cell maglite.. that is all you need.. good light, cheap price, and you can knock someone in the head with it and the light will still work. been there, done that, got the t-shirt!!!!

4 C-cell Maglight.Might have to find one on-line but Superhouse 15 has nailed it.

I went with a 4D-cell Mag light for my unarmed security work. A 3-cell always leaves you with an extra battery an 5-cells are too heavy. BTW 3 watt LED bulbs are ~$18 dollars at wallie world. They are a bit dimmer then the krypton's but last 10,000 (they say) and are VEARY shock resistant. Nothing like dropping you mag in the dark and having the filament break. I glued a plastic anti rolling accessory to the head(kept falling off) and now it has even more sure grip for swinging.

I would consider the 4C-cell now that the LED lamps are out because the LED is not dependent on the battery output as Incandescent. I'm waiting for the mini-mag tailcap switch next year before I buy a mini-mag but the 3AA LED mini would be a brutal SD item IMO.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links