I did something stupid...

This is a discussion on I did something stupid... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking to add another blade to my collection. I ran across a Strider SA-L. I have been going back and forth for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: I did something stupid...

I have been looking to add another blade to my collection. I ran across a Strider SA-L. I have been going back and forth for three days. These seem hard to find and they don't restock very fast. I guess this is what keeps the price up. I called Monkey Edge to see if they would give me a break on the shipping...of course they couldn't. I found out it was the last SA in stock so I bought it thinking I wouldn't find another for months. Someone please give me some good news and it wasn't a mistake to spend so much on a knife.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

they sure are proud of them huh? good looking blade tho! ergonomics look great, i hear their warranty it very good too!

We all have,done something like that at some point DPRO.I know,i've bought something and paid to much.I just stopped beating myself up over it.Doesn't do any good.Enjoy it.

I know a couple of folks w/ Striders. They use them, abuse them, and bet all the marbles on them. And they swear by 'em.
    When it comes to quality, "buy once, cry once".
    I realize there 'may' be other comparable blades at a lesser price, but I don't think you can go wrong w/ the Striders.
    Enjoy your blade, and use it-get your money's worth out of it.

dan

Thanks folks. I hope to get a lot of use out of it. The wife is in a grief giving mood. I think I should keep it out of sight for awhile. Like they say, It's easier to get forgiveness that to ask for permission.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

001.jpg You definetly did not make a mistake I carry a Strider LMF an the quality speaks for itself it will never let you down

It's pretty but 3 bills? Ouch. Makes me like my Izula II even more. Wait.....thats not even possible.

Got the Strider SA-L today. Unwrapped the cord and put on the VZ slab grips, dirty olive. I then made my two color box stitch lanyard 550 paracord, black and green. Got out the heat gun and made adjustments to the kydex sheet and oiled up the blade. After it was all done, I would do it again despite the three bills. It's a beauty. I've heard people say the tiger strip blade is stupid but not when your holding it. All I need now is a leather pouch sheath for CCW but that another 75 and going to have to wait. I thought Benchmade was my best blade until now. I think I need a Strider Folder. What have I done? 🙈🙉🙊
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Every time I think of buying an expensive knife I think "I could buy a gun for that price...".

I guess like always, buy once, cry once.

Nice knife, hopefully it will last you a lifetime, just don't lose it!
    oneshot likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I have never owned one of those, so don't know if you made the wise choice or not. I'm a SOG, Cold Steel, and CRKT man myself.
    oneshot likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Without getting flamed, would anyone be so kind as to explain why they are so very expensive? Are they like the Stradavarious (sp) of knives? In all honesty I know very little about cutlery thats primary use isn't in the kitchen :)

Respectfully,
    Sam
    Take the long way home...

I really like Striders and have had several but they are over priced, there are other brands that last just as long and are just as tough that cost less. If you're wanting a good folder you might look at zero tolerance, My 0301 will be here in todays mail.

Quote Originally Posted by NewtownSam View Post
    Without getting flamed, would anyone be so kind as to explain why they are so very expensive? Are they like the Stradavarious (sp) of knives? In all honesty I know very little about cutlery thats primary use isn't in the kitchen :)

Respectfully,
    Sam
    No flame here Sam. The type of steel is a factor I suppose. I suspect the other part is the knife is made by Mick Strider. The cost of this knife is minuscule compared to the cost of some of his custom folders. I've seen those with a $3000 price tag. I'd just look at one that much. I sure wouldn't use it. Not practical. The finish on the blade is a bit different too. A tiger stripe. Well balanced blade. I would call it a Stradivarius...more like an Abrams.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    Ronald Reagan

Although I have a tremendous love for knives. I don't think I could spend more then $150 on a single knife. It reminds me of that kitchenware store I went into that has a single pot priced just over $800. I turned to my GF and said that pot better not only make the food by itself, but it better also bring it to me for $800.

But as long as you are happy with it, it wasn't a mistake to buy it.

When it comes to knives, we all get an itch we just have to scratch.

My most recent purchase was the digital camo verson of the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (S30V blade with black DLC). I went to ebay and they had two or three of them. All for way more than I've seen them going for last year.

So I started shopping at all the online knife shops. I went to at least 20 online knife outlets. Every one of them were out of stock on that version of the PM2. Several of them had (delayed from supplier). I found two sites which said the digital cammo version has been discontinued. I know for a fact that Spyderco has a tendency of doing that, even with very popular running items.

So, I went back to ebay and got one. And dispaired about it up until the day it arrived. Once I got it in my hands, I found it to be worth every penny I paid for it. It is one sweet, wicked little knife!

So, trust me, once you get your Strider SA-L, I'm sure it will be worth the price.
    DPro.40 and QKShooter like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links