euducate me-neck knives

This is a discussion on euducate me-neck knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of years ago neck knives seemed to catch hold in this area. everything from jewelry like to coarse utility. I purchased a MOD ...

Thread: euducate me-neck knives

euducate me-neck knives

A couple of years ago neck knives seemed to catch hold in this area. everything from jewelry like to coarse utility. I purchased a MOD necknife. I was quite happy w/ it. Utility was good it was very non-noticeable (concealed) and freed up pocket space. Worked w/ T-shirts, golf shirts, and suprisingly easy to access while wearing a button up shirt. I carry a knife for utility...and on the off chance for personal protection. One day a REALITY expressed itself...I was under my truck pulling off some polyethelene trash that had tangled up in the suspension. I soon I realized I needed something to cut with. I started patting my chest looking for my neck knife. I felt around my neck looking for it. I finally had to slide out from under the truck and sit up to locate it. WHAT IF I had been on my back being beaten by a miscreant....."just a minute buddy I need to sit up to find my neck knife." Perhaps I am being overly analytical.

thanks mtheo51

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you found the "weak-link" in the neck-carry method. Neck carry is something I experimented with and discounted for this very reason. If you end up on your back or rolling around, you're not going to get to it very easily.

If I were to go with this method of carry, I'd get a chest-harness type sheath like the ones built by Robert Humelbaugh of Survival Sheath. They put the knife in the same location but prevent it from "migrating" on you.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

My delema with carring my LeGriffe, is that I alwayes wear my crucifix that I recived after my First Communion.
    So, wearing two kneckless does get noticed. Ive been there.

Administrator
    I always thought the whole neck knife fad was silly, no matter what way you draw, you leave yourself open to injury with your own knife in addition to mtheo51 problem.

KenpoTex-

I think I have found a solution....I have a very hairy chest. I applied the hook portion of velcro to the side of my Emerson La Griffe....I can stick it anywhere!
    Thanks for the response--mtheo51

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I vote for "overly analytical."

I carry a neck knife, too. One of various models.
    I've been known to carry
    - Benchmade Tether Knife
    - Spyderco Swick
    - Cold Steel "The Spike"
    - CRKT Neck Peck
    - even a Spyderco Delica in a molded kydex sheath, as well as a Walker Linerlock in a molded kydex sheath

I have never really thought of the neck knife as a "reach it while in combat" knife. It's there in a pinch, but like any defensive weapon, circumstances are going to dictate whether it is really available to you. The fact that you can't reach it in 100% guaranteed circumstances is not a reason to not have one.

Currently I carry the Neck Peck (which is really for utility for me, and not combat. It's far too small). I also carry a Delica Wave in a pocket. I hope I never have to use a knife in a self-defense scenario. I have not trained for it. I would just be doing what any person with a knife chosen to use as a weapon would do -- simply try to cut or stab with it! (No art to my method, is what I mean.)

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I carry a neck knife (LeGriffe) for one reason only. Last ditch survival. I keep it on the same cord as my neck badge and it gets pulled out of its sheath only to sharpen and in the case that I need it to save my bacon. I carry other knives for other purposes, but I do not use the neck knife for daily chores.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I carry my neck knife for almost 4 years, Smith & W
    Up in the Sky, It's a Bird No, It's a Plane No, It's SUPERMAN

Links