Sharpening

This is a discussion on Sharpening within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went out and bought a deluxe diamond lansky system the other day. It took me almost 2 hours to repair the damage that my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sharpening

Sharpening

I went out and bought a deluxe diamond lansky system the other day. It took me almost 2 hours to repair the damage that my electric sharpener did. Which sucked because I really expected a lot from that $35 sharpener. Anyway I'm very happy with the lansky and if you guys don't have one I would recommend it. I now shave paper with ease.
    Pyzik likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Were you ever any good (previously) sharpening knives? Just curious. I need an idiot proof system myself.

I have a kit that is similar to a Lansky kit. It might even be a Lansky, I seriously don't remember as I've had it for a few years. I just know it's the multiple stone kit with the bracket/holder gadget. Either way, it's an awesome kit and is pretty fool proof if you take your time with it. I can get one hell of an edge on a knife with it. You put the knife in the bracket, choose your angle, and then make circles in either direction with the stone. (keep it wet with the oil) It'll be a razor in no time. I hate the quick sharpeners because they're not as precise although it might "appear" sharp.

One of my friends was helping me cut up my deer this last season, and he was complaining that I was wasting time sharpening the knives...well after I saw him having a hard time with a dull knife that hadn't been 'tuned' in a while, I handed him the other knife from his kit that I had just re-done. His jaw dropped at how well it sliced through everything. He kept his mouth shut after that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    Do you mean Lansky?
    Yes, this auto correct on my phone seems to change words I don't want it to lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Were you ever any good (previously) sharpening knives? Just curious. I need an idiot proof system myself.
    Lol no I was very bad at it prior to this kit. I'm a sharpening pro now :)

Like jay said. It's fool proof.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Spyderco Sharpmaker. i have tried everything and spyderco Sharpmaker is the best I have seen excluding some high dollar belt setups.
    Poseidon likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I still use stones and guides for knives, tools, soon to be straight razors (new stones coming for them).
    A bit old fashioned I guess.

Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

VIP Member
    Spyderco Sharpmaker. I think you'll be happy with it.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I use a 1x30 belt sander and get excellent results. I get my belts from leevalley.com - from 80 micron to 9 micron, plus a leather belt and some paste for a mirror finish. I think I could do alright with a stone now - but it's very slow going. I can take a dull knife to razor sharp in ~15 minutes max with the belt sander - you just have to keep some water handy to keep things cool, and learn on cheap kitchen knives.

I've read excellent reviews on the Sharpmaker. Never had much luck with the Lanskys myself.

Austin

A belt sander, I ground off half a blade with an electric sharpener. I could just imagine the damage I'd do with one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Lol no I was very bad at it prior to this kit. I'm a sharpening pro now :)

Like jay said. It's fool proof.
    Rock and Glock needs an idiot-proof one. You say this one's a fool-proof unit ... will it work for the R&G types in the crowd??

Got any recommendations for a klutz-proof type? I definitely need one of those. (Can't sharpen a knife reliably, no matter what I do.)

I shudder to think what results I'd get with a belt "sander."
    Rock and Glock and DPro.40 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I do it like this guy - I learned from him (via watching this...) and practicing on cheap kitchen knives.

Belt sander knife sharpening - YouTube

Austin
    AZ_Larz_NY and Doghandler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I do it like this guy - I learned from him (via watching this...) and practicing on cheap kitchen knives.

Belt sander knife sharpening - YouTube

Austin
    Good video. I have the chefs choice one I think. Bought it a few years ago and does ok for me.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

I used the Lansky system for several years and then tried the WartHog system I saw demonstrated at a SHOT show. It was extremely simple to use and relatively fast. But a few years ago I tried the paper wheel system that has one wheel coated with fine emery powder and the
    other for buffing a fine edge. I was skeptical at first but now am a firm believer that it is one of the fastest and most effective systems for
    knife sharpening. I bought the wheels on eBay and put them on a $49 buffer from Harbor Freight. Does take a little practice but a video is
    included for instruction.
    John

I use the Lansky with very good results.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links