New defensive carry knife: Ka-Bar TDI

This is a discussion on New defensive carry knife: Ka-Bar TDI within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried a knife for defense everyday for as long as I can remember. It usually a folding knife clipped in my pocket. But ...

I have carried a knife for defense everyday for as long as I can remember. It usually a folding knife clipped in my pocket. But I have been eyeing a nifty looking fixed blade for a couple of years. Why I took so long to get one, I have no clue. I ordered it Friday and it arrived today. Its a Ka-Bar TDI large plain edge. It has a bend in the middle to give it a pistol like grip. It was actually designed with police and other law enforcement in mind. It is supposed to be worn on the off side from the firearm in the case an officer finds himself in a situation where someone is trying to take his gun. He can then grab the TDI from its kydex sheath and defend himself. The knife can also be effectively used with an underhand grip. It came with 2 straps that can be used with a Molle strap system. I also ordered a clip that attaches and can be worn IWB. This is my intended use. I was looking at some videos about this knife and came across a demo by TDI instructors. They set up a balloon and asked volunteers to pull out a folding knife and pop the balloon with the use of a timer. The average time it took was 2.5 seconds. Then they were asked to use the TDI knife. Average time was .75 seconds. It was a really cool video. All I need now is some type of trainer to practice this uniquely shaped knife.

Knife is very good.

Sheath is CRAP.

Get a Fin Designs or Dale Fricke for IWB carry.

Nice knife man!
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

almost bought one just the other day but when i turned it over it said CHINA i put it down.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Mine says Taiwan. But it is AUS8 steel. I do find it amusing that the knife company that the US Marines carry makes knive outside this country.

Well, the issue bayonet is from Ontario Knife and Tool. But a long time ago when Ka-Bars were issued, I think they were made in the U.S....

Is it easy to conceal? Looks a bit on the large side.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Well, the issue bayonet is from Ontario Knife and Tool. But a long time ago when Ka-Bars were issued, I think they were made in the U.S....

Is it easy to conceal? Looks a bit on the large side.

Austin
    It is large. I wanted the large model. They do have a smaller version too. But it is fairly easy to conceal. If I had to compare it to something, its like carrying a Ruger LCP IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Knife is very good.

Sheath is CRAP.

Get a Fin Designs or Dale Fricke for IWB carry.
    I agree. The sheath is rather bulky. I like the ability to attach it to Molle gear. But I just looked at the Fin Design sheath. I like the looks of it. I think I am going to order it.

Great knife I carry one as well Train Train Train with that weapon it is a different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Great knife I carry one as well Train Train Train with that weapon it is a different animal.
    Yeah, that is going to be the trick. I am proficient with a straight blade and good with a karambit. So I hope this transition to this type of grip will come naturally. I just need to create some kind of trainer. Maybe I can make one out of a plastic sheet about a 1/4 inch thick and round off all the edges.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    My brother bought one and we were amazed that it's made in china

Links