neck knives

This is a discussion on neck knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; does anybody carry these? i was thinking about getting one but what kind show some pics....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: neck knives

neck knives

does anybody carry these? i was thinking about getting one but what kind show some pics.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

2. Remove Ads

I have one. To me, it's a novelty. I wore it maybe half a dozen times and then quit. Annoying, distracting and sometimes just plain uncomfortable.

I'll just stick to the folder in my pocket.
    sensei2 likes this.

Neck knive have been documented in this country since the French & Indian War....1750's.....and earlier in Canada and Europe.

Over 75% of the year it is dark in the morning when I do a premiter check with my dog. I have always worn a neck knife for over 20 years.

Depends what you are doing. They are often over looked during weapon search's (same with belt buckle knives) and could prove to be a very good back up. But if you aren't one that would find yourself in that kind of a situation then it would just be a novelty knife.

Senior Moderator
    The biggest problem I have with a neck knife is that it will not stay in place if you are fighting with a BG.

Depending on the length of the chain it can wind up under your arm or behind your back when you try to grab it.

I advise getting a fixed blade and carrying it somewhere more secure than hanging around your neck that you can draw with either hand

I have a KaBar TDI LDK affixed to my belt buckle. It is concealed, firmly mounted in place and accessible with either hand.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

neck knifes

I've got several different neck knives that I use when it seems like I've just got too much "stuff" in my pockets. Generally I find a pocket clip knife is quicker to deploy, though, as I tend to wear neck knives under my shirt or sweater.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

I tried with a a CRKT SPEW but know it hangs off my bed post. If I'm using it on a project it's ok. Not a full time carry though.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

neck knifes

I have an ESEE Izula and I love that little thing, but I rarely wear it as a neck knife. It is just too invasive.

Custom Kydex holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.
    www.armatuscarry.com
    www.Facebook.com/armatuscarry
    Eric357 likes this.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have a Ka-Bar LDK laced into my boot laces and can get to it fairly quick. I keep it well oiled so it doesnt rust. The LDK can also be used as a neck knife but I found it hard to get to if I needed it quickly.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I don't like neck carry for knives because of the awkward draw and the tendency for the knife to flop around everywhere but where you can easily access it. There is a sort of shoulder harness called a Mercharness made out of paracord that works brilliantly- Mercop makes them, and he is a member on this forum. Keeps a small knife under your shirt much more stably.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Re: neck knives

I just ordered an Esee Izula kit in Venom Green.
    Hopefully will get here soon. Not sure how I will carry it. Probably as a necker when I'm at the gym. I'm going to see if I can fit any more stuff on my belt. That or hang it down off of the pull tab on my cowboy boots.

In God and Glock we Trust

I've been carrying a CRKT stiff K.I.S.S for many years. It goes EVERYWHERE with me, even when I dont have one of my folders or fixed-blades on-hand. I take it off only for sleep and shower.
    But this is not always good- I sometimes forget I have it on me, since I'm so used to it. I once made it onto a plane for a flight- after passing through metal-detctors etc. (post 9/11). I got on the plane, got into my seat, and when I was putting on my seatbelt, felt it beneath my shirt and was like OOPS.

Another good thing, is that when being patted-down by anyone, they almost never think to pat there...or bad, depends on who's patting you down, and why, I guess..

Very handy, effective. I never use it for utility cutting, I had the edge sharpened by the guy that sharppens the surgical blades and tools at the hospital I was working at. I preserve the blade in case that one bad moment comes, in which it is needed for combat.

...in case that one bad moment comes, in which it is needed for combat.
    Not sure how much combat you've experienced, but what I've seen usually happens faster than a hiccup. IMHO, there are too many consistent, easier-to-deploy, less-tangle-prone options for knife carry than "somewhere around my neck, concealed somewhere under my shirt". I want to find my defensive knife in the same place, EVERY TIME, ALL THE TIME.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Not sure how much combat you've experienced, but what I've seen usually happens faster than a hiccup. IMHO, there are too many consistent, easier-to-deploy, less-tangle-prone options for knife carry than "somewhere around my neck, concealed somewhere under my shirt". I want to find my defensive knife in the same place, EVERY TIME, ALL THE TIME.
    More than I ever care to have had, ty.
    As for the mode of carry-it's how I've carried it for years, and I'm used to it, and can get it into action quickly enough.
    Long as I'm not prone/ face down, there's no prob.
    But, it's rarely the only one I carry- most of the time, I've a folder clipped front-right pocket, and a small FB on the left hip, so if for some reason I cant get to one, or whatever, I can usually reach an alternate.
    But if/when I can only carry one, this is the one that's on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links