Suggestions needed

Suggestions needed

This is a discussion on Suggestions needed within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone, I have carried a knife most of my life. I currently carry a Ken Onion chive. I have never carried a knife for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sigs

Thread: Suggestions needed

Suggestions needed

Hello Everyone, I have carried a knife most of my life. I currently carry a Ken Onion chive. I have never carried a knife for the purpose of self defense. Well things change and now I am considering a new knife for that purpose. Looking for some suggestions from the better informed than I. I would like it to be a folder, legal, and probably partly serrated. I have read that you want serrated for seat belts, rope and the such. I would like to keep it around $150.00 if possible. So what say you?
    I Love Guns!!!

Benchmade Mini-Barrage, should be less than $150
    surefire7 likes this.

Just like choosing the best firearm, I'd suggest going to a store and handling some knives. What fits my hands and opens quickly and reliably may be awkward for the next guy. There are many you can buy within your $150.00 limit that would be a good quality.

If your happy with your Ken Onion chive you might look at the Ken Onion Leek which is reasonably priced. A lot depends on what you are comfortable with. Some people carry large heavy folders while other prefer a lighter weight knife that is not bulky and fits their pocket comfortably.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

you have a PM
    Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
    The Knife Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Knives
    Facebook - Instagram

Depending on your state's laws, the Barrage might be a no-no (assisted opening). I love the knife but if you can't have it, the Benchmade Griptillian or mini-griptillian are great knives, available in smooth or serrated blades. Spyderco is another company to check out. Have fun looking!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Depends what your state laws are. Can't really go wrong with a kabar tdi.

There are way too many options in that price range. I own and carry everything from Spyderco to Mantis to Cold Steel to Benchmade, Ka Bar, and Kershaw, and more. You have to narrow things down and figure out size and optons more specifically
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by rutcrazed View Post
    Hello Everyone, I have carried a knife most of my life. I currently carry a Ken Onion chive. I have never carried a knife for the purpose of self defense. Well things change and now I am considering a new knife for that purpose. Looking for some suggestions from the better informed than I. I would like it to be a folder, legal, and probably partly serrated. I have read that you want serrated for seat belts, rope and the such. I would like to keep it around $150.00 if possible. So what say you?
    You have answered your own question.

Spend the first $150 on self defense training with knives.

It's like having a Barrett doesn't make you a sniper. Tools without training are just back ups for the attackers.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Point well made N.C Bullseye, I have had martial arts training but not a class specific to knives. I have done some hand to hand weapons but not just knives. Thank you all for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You have answered your own question.

Spend the first $150 on self defense training with knives.

It's like having a Barrett doesn't make you a sniper. Tools without training are just back ups for the attackers.
    I Love Guns!!!

Sponsor
    CRKT M21 Veff

Zero Tolerance ZT035ST

As much as I love my ZT0350(plain edge) I'd have to go with CRKT's Veff serrations if I ever went with a combo blade.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Thanks for the suggestions luvmy40. I do like the ZT 350. I am kinda leaning toward the ZT300. It is more than I want to spend but isn't that how it always goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    CRKT M21 Veff

Zero Tolerance ZT035ST

As much as I love my ZT0350(plain edge) I'd have to go with CRKT's Veff serrations if I ever went with a combo blade.
    I Love Guns!!!

Links