What Is Your favorite Leatherman Knife? - Or Which One would choose?

This is a discussion on What Is Your favorite Leatherman Knife? - Or Which One would choose? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm seriously contemplating the Leatherman Charge with the Titanium handles. I have this "thing" for Titanium so I LIKE the Titanium handle idea. Which one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What Is Your favorite Leatherman Knife? - Or Which One would choose?

Administrator

Question What Is Your favorite Leatherman Knife? - Or Which One would choose?

I'm seriously contemplating the Leatherman Charge with the Titanium handles. I have this "thing" for Titanium so I LIKE the Titanium handle idea.

Which one do you own? How long have you had it? How happy are you with it?

If you had it to do all over again - which variation would you choose - something different?

What say you? All comments Welcome. All opinions welcome. This will be for inclusion in my B.O.B. contents and will not be for daily pocket carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Well, I like the Gerber multi-tools better that the Leatherman models 'cause I can "snick" the plier-function open with one hand in contrast to the reverse-opposet-two-handed-handle-fold that it takes to access the pliers on a Leatherman. I've had several of both models over ~20 years and it almost always seems that when I MOST NEED the pliers, I usually holding something together with my...other hand! Good Luck picking, QKS!
    QKShooter likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

count me a leathermen user abuser...Wave, new one every 18months on average...use it everyday, all the time, the needle nose breaks...or I break one of the easy open knives...tried the gerber..to much like a mouse trap...goodluck
    QKShooter and StevePVB like this.

I'm a fan of the skeletool. Great all around tool, small and not bulky, and has a pocket clip. I love this thing.
    Last edited by pittypat21; February 3rd, 2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: autocorrect :/
    QKShooter and CVarner like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

If you plan to use the wire-cutter very often, get the model with the replaceable cutter-heads. You might find some interesting info on the multi-tool forum > multitool.org.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    I have a GERBER - My Brother wants it. I pretty much just have it socked away in my BOB. I daily carry a SOG PENTAGON ELITE II as my self defensive blade and I would carry a multi-tool but, I'm pretty much already plumb out of available pockets and I'm not real big on belt hanging stuff. My spare mag pouch is enough.
    My carry flashlight these days is a very small Klarus. As I have stated I do have a GERBER stowed away and it has come in handy more than a few times.

If I were to carry a leatherman it would something with less accoutrements.

I have the Leatherman Surge. Great tool. Has everything you need. I like that it has both a full length clip point plain edge blade, plus a full length serrated sheep foot blade. Combo blades don't give you enough of either type edge to be useful for their intended purpose in my opinion.

The downside? It's probably the heaviest Leatherman tool made. Throw in a bit set for it and it is a chunk of steel to carry around. It's useful but too heavy for EDC or to even carry in my EDC car bag. I keep it in my tool box.

I'm looking for something more light weight for EDC and to put in various kits.
    QKShooter likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Obvioulsy you can probably tell That I am shuffling some things around in my head tonight.

When I go camping I belt carry a large fixed blade. A BUSSE NMSFNO (which is Nuclear Meltdown Special Forces Natural Outlaw) Those Busse folks are insane with their doggone knife names and abbreviations. But, it's an incredible uber functional larger task knife with perfect balance. It sucks for food prep though so I have a SVORD peasant knife from New Zealand. Which I love. It's INEXPENSIVE, SIMPLE, and takes a fast sharp edge in the field.
    You can find one for like 12.00 on ebay.

But, I've already decided to dump that one ONLY because I'm going to piggyback a Scrapivore onto my latest NMSFNO sheath. So...I don't really need two food prep/small chore knives. But...Buy a SVORD just to have one around. They are worth every penny.

This is the Scrapavore. It's nice and FLAT & great for a piggyback knife.

I use the 300. I find I don't need anything more than the 300 has to offer.

I really like the Scrapavore. Debated hard on getting one. Went with the ESEE Izula II instead. A little easier on the budget.

But I still look around for a Scrapavore at a decent price on ebay from time to time.
    QKShooter likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I am shuffling some things around in my head tonight
    Just make sure nothing falls out.

I have a Wave, and it's been useful mainly for the pliers and drivers, but I have dedicated blades, so the blades and scissors on the Wave are redundant.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Administrator
    The Surge & the Wave - yep, I could have probably gone with either one of those. But then I spotted Titanium and then my abnormal fixation for Titanium took over.

And I dunno what is acting up worse tonight. My brain or my computer. I think something might fall out of one or the other.

But, I'm holding back on punching the screen like I did with my now deceased Gateway Notebook when it kept blacking out on me everytime I moved it. May it R.I.P.

Titanium is very cool. I have a Seiko Titanium. It's easy to develop that fixation.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Administrator
    I switched out all of my Bug Out Stainless Cookware and U-TEN-SKILLS for Titanium. U-TEN-SKILLS (that's how POPEYE pronounces utensils)
    And I love the little Titanium alcohol burner. It weighs like NOTHING.

I have a leatherman from a long time ago and leatherman wave. When I was working I used my original leather man everyday for so many years and I bought the wave because I thought I had lost the other one. I like the original leatherman better than any of the newer ones. I have been retired for a few years and I still carry my original every day.
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links