Fox labs 5.3 pepper spray

This is a discussion on Fox labs 5.3 pepper spray within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you guys use Fox Labs Pepper Spray? I have tested several OC sprays and this stuff was IMHO the most evil and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fox labs 5.3 pepper spray

How many of you guys use Fox Labs Pepper Spray? I have tested several OC sprays and this stuff was IMHO the most evil and vile pepper spray I have ever been exposed to. I know manufacturers all have their own measurement of pungency. Some claim it is the SHU rating and others claim the product with the highest Capsaicin content is the most intense. I think what makes this Fox spray work so well is it uses a very fast acting carrier, highly refined OC resin and extremely hot pepper extract.

I ordered the 2 ounce Flip Top Cone/Fog delivery as it sprays in a wider pattern and it affects deep lung breathing. I know it is more wind sensitive but given the fact hat most pepper sprays are deployed at very close distances I figure any of them can cross contaminate.

I ordered mine from defense devices and they shipped fast and had excellent service.

Opinions on this product? Have any of you used this? I also have heard that the minimum size can of OC one should carry is 2 ounces (something about the key chain sprays not having enough output).
    tony1990 likes this.

I have a few small cans I carry and keep in the car. Its the stream one. Very effective. Only used it once on a loose 75 pound Boxer that was attacking my little dog. After 3-4 seconds, he was down.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

It works
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I have actually been looking for that in my area. Will have to go to the website.

Where can I buy some?

I use sabre cs red pepper tear gas. have had to use it twice. once to deter a girl running up to my truck trying to punch my girl friend and the second time my girl friends dad was trying to run up to my truck to fight me theirs more to story then they just casually walked up so i tear gased em... im not gona stay and fight ill hit you quick and be gone before you know what even happen. both times it stopped the people right in their tracks and they have learned not to run up on my vehicle looking for a fight. and when you use it they instantly stop and their eyes slam shut. i trust it with my life and will always try using that before having to use my sidearm

Quote Originally Posted by AR15VSCoyote View Post
    Where can I buy some?
    This is where I buy mine. Excellent service and fast shipping.

Fox Labs Flip Top
    tony1990 likes this.

If a person has asthma they can't be around any of this type of thing. What can a person use who has asthma?
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    If a person has asthma they can't be around any of this type of thing. What can a person use who has asthma?
    That is a very good question. I would recommend a Pepper Foam, Pepper Gel or a Taser C2 (not a cheapo stun gun). Another excellent tool is the Kubotan. Foam and Gel stay confined to the attacker and minimize cross contamination. It is used in sensitive air environments such as hospitals, courtrooms, detention facilities etc. The Gel is prob the best product as it can't be scooped off and thrown back on the user. Gel is sticky like syrup.

Fox, Sabre, MSI, and many of the discount brands (OC-17, Guard Dog, etc) make a gel or foam that has much less residual spray, should be safer for an asthmatic.

I have used MSI 10% for years in my EMS gear for the occasional "bad dog". I preferred the flip top canister shape. However, when a certain school that a certain person's kids go to was looking for some real ideas about school security, "someone" bought them a couple canisters of Fox spray (not stream, but the fog) that were the size of small fire extinguishers to keep in the front desk in the office where the secretary and vice principal/office manager could get to them.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Fox, Sabre, MSI, and many of the discount brands (OC-17, Guard Dog, etc) make a gel or foam that has much less residual spray, should be safer for an asthmatic.

I have used MSI 10% for years in my EMS gear for the occasional "bad dog". I preferred the flip top canister shape. However, when a certain school that a certain person's kids go to was looking for some real ideas about school security, "someone" bought them a couple canisters of Fox spray (not stream, but the fog) that were the size of small fire extinguishers to keep in the front desk in the office where the secretary and vice principal/office manager could get to them.
    + 1 on the Mace Brand Foam. Mace invented the Foam pattern in 1994 and I think they have the best one. It melts within seconds covering the entire area unlike some that remain a foam for minutes.

Those Fox Labs 1 Pound Fire Extinguisher units are nasty! They shoot a 25 foot cloud of the Fog in an 8 foot diameter pattern. Very effective for less lethal defense.

I like FOX 5.3 and get mine with the stream pattern. I also get it from the same supplier as the OP. Good stuff, good service, quick shipping.

FOX also has their new Mean Green formula which is supposed to be more heat and more refined than the 5.3 OC spray. I haven't tried it yet, but may get some the next time I order OC.

I'd say Fox Labs is one of the top manufacturers of OC spray. Definitely premium stuff.
    oneshot likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I like FOX 5.3 and get mine with the stream pattern. I also get it from the same supplier as the OP. Good stuff, good service, quick shipping.

FOX also has their new Mean Green formula which is supposed to be more heat and more refined than the 5.3 OC spray. I haven't tried it yet, but may get some the next time I order OC.

I'd say Fox Labs is one of the top manufacturers of OC spray. Definitely premium stuff.
    I agree. Fox is top notch. I did speak with Ed at Fox and he still recommends the 5.3 for personal defense or for most applications. The 5.3 has a carrier that strips the oils off the skins surface allowing the OC to take effect on contact. The Water based Mean Green is the nastiest water based spray on the market but because it is water based it is slightly slower acting. I would not want to get hit with either formula.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I will continue to carry and recommend both Fox Labs and ASP Defenders.

Stay Safe

Brent

Fox Lab products work very well...don't forget to order an 'extra' to experiment with...you need to know: how far? how much? (spraying into the wind) can I stand a bit of blow back?.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

I keep a couple of cans of Sabre Red in handy locations. I think it's good to have some less than lethal options available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links