A knife for self defense

This is a discussion on A knife for self defense within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't carry at work. Our handbook states employees can't have any weapons. I am in TX. Would a pocketknife be considered a weapon? Also, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A knife for self defense

A knife for self defense

I can't carry at work. Our handbook states employees can't have any weapons.

I am in TX. Would a pocketknife be considered a weapon?

Also, I know nothing about knives. I would like to carry one where I might not be able to carry a pistol.

What might I consider so I can start the research process?

2. Remove Ads

Don't know. I carry a knife as a tool

The rule is unclear as the term "weapon" in this context indicates intent to do harm....or the HR folks are trying to prevent "scary" objects in the office.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Depends on your local knife laws. Without knowing them it is hard to recommend anything but there are plenty if options you can't go wrong. Would your work consider a box cutter as a weapon as it is classified as a utility tool?

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    I don't mean to be impolite, but do you know how to fight with a knife? I don't! On one hand it seems like a knife would be better protection than harsh language, but I'd think anything you might find useful as a weapon would probably be viewed as a weapon by HR. I guess even a small knife like my Spyderco Ladybug could be lethal, especially if the assailant didn't see it coming, but I don't think a knife fight is likely to go my way.

Knife regulations make gun laws look simple; it's often baffling to try to figure out what you can legally carry and where. Even the police don't seem to know, and in some jurisdictions they like to hassle you over knives that are legal. Just Google "KnifeRights.org" to read up on the issues.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Just do your homework as best you can.
    Hopyard, FlaRon and .45acpguy like this.

A quick search produced this link. Doesn't look good for carrying a knife legally in this case.

Texas Concealed Handgun ( CHL ) Laws - Texas Gun Laws

Your Comb could be considered a weapon..................

Technically a stapler is a weapon if used like one. Most HR handbooks are vague knowing things might go to court. The use of weapon covers then and makes you think twice about anything you can carry to protect yourself. Glad I am self employed. My boss rocks!
    pittypat21 likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

You have good knife laws. =6) "Illegal knife" means a:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches
    You can legally carry a 4-5" blade no worries. A knife is a tool.

I recently took a knife course and although the guys I train with (all LEOs) recommend we carry knives, they also admit that unless you train with a knife a lot, realistically you probably won't be able to employ it too successfully. They also admit that if you engage in a knife fight, you will almost certainly get cut. That said, I carry a Combat Karambit, because it is quick to deploy and it's the only knife I have seen that has a grip I feel confident about holding onto without having the knife slide in my hand.

VIP Member
    @Iron Mike---Sadly, it isn't anywhere near that straight forward. There are municipal variations allowed and
    no state preemption on knife laws. There are restrictions as to the type of knife in addition to blade length.
    The cops sometimes don't even know the blade length which is legal, or the styles which are legal.

I previously posted a story about a conversation with a cop I practiced H2H with at the gym. In the
    game /scenario I briefly pinned him and shoved my thumb into his chest. Then I asked him if he knew
    what happened to him. In the FOF game he was stabbed in the chest. So, as we left he reminded me,
    3 1/2 inches. Of course he was wrong.

For the office, pepper such and a folder such as the ordinary pocket knife Retsupt mentioned
    the other day, the Leech, if kept discretely won't be seen as weapons. No one will know you have them, and
    the knife is innocuous. I have a similar knife (Gerber) I use for cutting up pills which need to be halved.

Whether someone wants to risk a job on the off chance they out themselves is their business.

Can you go to an antique store and find an old style dart board with darts? Will your office
    let you hang the board on the wall in your cubicle? If so, you have you weapon-- Throwing darts.
    Just double check that they aren't listed as prohibited in the penal code; one never knows. What to my mind
    is a game item someone else can see as an illegal weapon.

Box cutters are still good in TX, not in big NE cities. If caught you can always say you were doing some
    work at home and forgot to take it out of your pocket. Probably will get a one time pass.

And there are stout pens made for SD. They won't be seen as a weapon as they are functional pens.

Good luck.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You could carry a knife, a kubotan, a paracord monkey's fist, a tactical pen, or pepper spray.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I would consult your employer rather than being surprised. I don't understand the knife laws as the appears to be more varying and difficult to understand than the CCWing a firearm. If you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, why are not knives in the mix? They are classified as a weapon thus, knife laws and less lethal. In Missouri they have changed the laws to allow for auto knives except where it violates Fed Law. Says you can carry a knife up to four inches but does that mean you can carry a 4 inch fixed blade in your pocket or if its a folder only. My concern is how an LEO measures the blade to determine if your legal. It's too subjective. I fear carry a blade as I am confused by the laws.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    @Iron Mike---Sadly, it isn't anywhere near that straight forward. There are municipal variations allowed and
    no state preemption on knife laws. There are restrictions as to the type of knife in addition to blade length.
    The cops sometimes don't even know the blade length which is legal, or the styles which are legal.

I previously posted a story about a conversation with a cop I practiced H2H with at the gym. In the
    game /scenario I briefly pinned him and shoved my thumb into his chest. Then I asked him if he knew
    what happened to him. In the FOF game he was stabbed in the chest. So, as we left he reminded me,
    3 1/2 inches. Of course he was wrong.

For the office, pepper such and a folder such as the ordinary pocket knife Retsupt mentioned
    the other day, the Leech, if kept discretely won't be seen as weapons. No one will know you have them, and
    the knife is innocuous. I have a similar knife (Gerber) I use for cutting up pills which need to be halved.

Whether someone wants to risk a job on the off chance they out themselves is their business.

Can you go to an antique store and find an old style dart board with darts? Will your office
    let you hang the board on the wall in your cubicle? If so, you have you weapon-- Throwing darts.
    Just double check that they aren't listed as prohibited in the penal code; one never knows. What to my mind
    is a game item someone else can see as an illegal weapon.

Box cutters are still good in TX, not in big NE cities. If caught you can always say you were doing some
    work at home and forgot to take it out of your pocket. Probably will get a one time pass.

And there are stout pens made for SD. They won't be seen as a weapon as they are functional pens.

Good luck.
    This is true the City codes for a knife. What I did was take the smallest blade length allowed in my Cities near and carry that. I was just surprise they can carry fixed blades. I like to carry my 3" Izula but no fixed blades. Other then camping

Distinguished Member
    And once u get a weapon charge on you, there goes any hope for a CHL. So be careful....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I carry A small browning dress knife at school, 1 1/2 blade burlwood handles brushed steel boslters, its discreet and non threatening looking, but sharp enough to shave with. Dont mess with work rules it will bite you in the butt everytime.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links