what style blade do you prefer and why?

This is a discussion on what style blade do you prefer and why? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering what style of knife everyone likes to use and why, like tanto, spear point, clip point , etc. do you prefer straight edge ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: what style blade do you prefer and why?

Just wondering what style of knife everyone likes to use and why, like tanto, spear point, clip point , etc. do you prefer straight edge or serrated. i like serrated tanto's myself because the reinforced front edge and i prefer a serrated edge for cutting. thanks for any answers
    ruger91

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    I like a deep re-curve, drop point for a heavy work blade and spear point for a light duty general purpose blade. I'm not overly fond of serrations in general but the Veff serrations would be my choice if I needed a serrated blade.

Benchmade's modified sheepsfoot blade(Griptilian) is also a very good working blade.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

like a heavey blade for most work carry strider LMF works great on apples:)

Administrator
    A knife for what purpose?

For a self-defense knife only pristine serrations are a great flesh ripper.
    For a camp/survival/ woodcraft knife I HATE a serrated blade unless those serrations were possibly on the spine of the blade & up toward the tip of the blade. But, then that configuration is not so great for batoning through wood.

For camp chores the most used and useful portion of the blade that that gives you the most functional power/leverage for shaving wood, whittling down wood, constructing a shelter, etc...is closest to the handle and serrations in that areas are absolutely terrible. In my opinion.

I will never again own a camp/survival/hunting/woodcraft knife with serrations on the blade.

Carry a camp saw but, do not try to make a knife into a saw because then it sucks as a saw and it sucks even worse as a useful general purpose knife.

For slicing fresh bread and tomatoes in the kitchen at home a serrated blade is fantastic. I would never own one for out of doors survival apps.

Some folks will disagree but, if you cannot cut rope without serrations on your knife....something is wrong with either your edge or your blade.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.

I usually carry one of these three. Recently carrying the first one more but decided to carry my 110 yesterday

Benchmade LFK

Kershaw Tremor

When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    I'm not a knife-fighter. I carry a blade everywhere but it is for utility. For that purpose I like a folder with a thick-ish blade between 3-4 inches long with a straight edge. If I am camping I prefer a fixed blade with a bit more length and will carry a saw as necessary.

Like QKShooter, I don't like serrations on a knife. Generally, they just get in my way. Single purpose tools are nearly ALWAYS better than multi-purpose ones.

That's just personal preference.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

thanks for the replies. it can be any purpose but to lets just say what do you prefer for you EDC SD knife. also i really like that bencmade 860 bedlam
    ruger91

NRA member

My favorite is my Microtech automatic with bayonet blade.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    For general use, a spear or drop point plain edge. I like full convex grinds. For self-defense, a slight hawkbill, serrated or plain.
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    I've waffled over the years, but have settled on drop point blades for general purpose. Half serrated. I also like wharncliffe blades for chore duties. For tantos, I like the Japanese tanto shape over the American, although I own several American tantos (just in case a car hood ever attacks me).
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I'm not real picky about blade styles as long as it's not serrated. Standard drop points are fine for me. I have a Gerber EVO in my pocket right now that's holding the place of my Benchmade while I wait for a new pocket clip. I agree with Road Runner. My knife is for utility. If I am ever using it in a fight things have gone bad, bad, bad wrong.
    NewtownSam likes this.

Drop point plain edge for my edc. SOG Aegis full size and mini depending on what I am doing that day.

I am not a trained knife fighter, so my EDC knife is more of a utility knife than a BG poker but will do both very nicely. My personal favorite is my fullsize Benchmade Griptillian with partially serrated blade. I am not a fan of serrations but they serve a purpose, such is cutting a seatbelt or heavy material if need be. I keep it razor sharp if I should ever need it for defense purposes. I also carry a Ka-bar zombie knife ( the big one) a Kabar warthog with tanto point, a Camillus HEAT, A CRKT M16( medium and large) or whatever else is laying close at hand when I walk out the door.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

straight edge and spear point. But really as long as it is straight edge I'm good with it. Just not a fan of sharpening serrations.

For general utility I like a drop or clip point, partially serrated blade.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links