Hide-Away Knife(HAK)..............

This is a discussion on Hide-Away Knife(HAK).............. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried a Crawford Leopard Cub as my pocket-knife for years. I have a Gerber Multi-Tool and Gerber folder(both RFI items from my Iraq ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsumner
  • 1 Post By Madcap_Magician
  • 1 Post By old grunt
  • 2 Post By Bark'n

Thread: Hide-Away Knife(HAK)..............

Hide-Away Knife(HAK)..............

I have carried a Crawford Leopard Cub as my pocket-knife for years. I have a Gerber Multi-Tool and Gerber folder(both RFI items from my Iraq deployment)in my truck. Plus two Leathermans also that I keep handy. I also own a couple Cold Steel fixed blades, but DON'T carry a dedicated "self-defense type" EDC to go with my firearm. I keep going back to the HAK as a potential option because of size and the idea behind it's design. It's NOT a fighting knife(and I'm NOT a trained knife-fighter either), but rather a weapon designed to be always carried because of it's size and utilized as a last option instrument. Does anyone carry one and have some input about this knife!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

Yes. I carry a basic HAK in my left pocket. Like you, I don't profess to be a shiv artist. That being said, I can access this knife very easily, (I don't wear jeans much now, have moved to DTC flex workpants with nice big pockets), and with its retention ability, it gives me a lot of confidence that I can inflict a lot of hurt up close. To better make it a part of my system, I try to use it as much as possible. Draw from pocket, open boxes, letters etc. While I realize its not the same as fending off an attack, it does make the motion of drawing and using the knife much more natural, than just leaving it in the pocket. And since it is set up to be a left handed draw, it allows me to develop the draw by doing day to day tasks.
    Hope this input helps.

dan
    Last edited by jdsumner; February 18th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
    old grunt likes this.

...thanks for this...I bought a CRKT Bear Claw for a neck knife years ago...sent it to Iraq with my middle son...he loves it...finally got myself another...but the grip shows under a tshirt too much...this one will soon be mine...

...I was astonished that the Army didn't even touch on knife/bayonet with either of my boys in boot camp or Advanced Infantry training...didn't issue bayonets in Iraq...I taught them some blade points and made sure they had one...but times sure have changed...every Marine got knife/bayonet...at least when I was in...(69-71)

VIP Member
    Its an interesting knife and holster system. I loved it until I looked at the price.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    They are difficult to get reliably. The company that made them had some spotty customer service, and a lot of the custom makers who were collaborating quit. I am not even sure if the original company is still in business. I would buy them secondhand or from an established dealer.

Great knives.
    old grunt likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...thanks for this...I bought a CRKT Bear Claw for a neck knife years ago...sent it to Iraq with my middle son...he loves it...finally got myself another...but the grip shows under a tshirt too much...this one will soon be mine...

...I was astonished that the Army didn't even touch on knife/bayonet with either of my boys in boot camp or Advanced Infantry training...didn't issue bayonets in Iraq...I taught them some blade points and made sure they had one...but times sure have changed...every Marine got knife/bayonet...at least when I was in...(69-71)
    Did bayonet training during my 11-series training at Ft.Benning 31 years ago. My son went thru Benning in 2010, and can't remember if they did the bayonet assault course or not. He's in A'stan right now and I don't think he was issued a dedicated bayonet/knife as part of his kit. Times they are a-changing....
    Snub44 likes this.
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    They are difficult to get reliably. The company that made them had some spotty customer service, and a lot of the custom makers who were collaborating quit. I am not even sure if the original company is still in business. I would buy them secondhand or from an established dealer.

Great knives.
    Their site is up, but the "updates" were about 18 months old......Don't know what that tranlates to.
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

I like the SOG Slim Jim. I've been carrying one everyday slipped into my back pocket for about 7 or 8 months and I never know it's there.

My primary carry knife is a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 but I use the SOG Slim Jim often enough to justify carrying it as a second knife.

Snub44 and old grunt like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links