Bullwhip?

Bullwhip?

This is a discussion on Bullwhip? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seeing how effectively the bullwhip can be used in cinema, what opinions do Defensive Carry members have of the bullwhip as an Other Weapon? Thanks. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bullwhip?

Bullwhip?

Seeing how effectively the bullwhip can be used in cinema, what opinions do Defensive Carry members have of the bullwhip as an Other Weapon? Thanks. By the way, one neighborhood tough had one when I was a kid, and I'll guarantee you that it made everybody scatter.

Welcome to the forum. As for your question, I can't say a bullwhip rates very high on my list of efective defensive weapons. Even Indiana Jones carried a pistol.
    PAPADALE1 and Brad426 like this.

VIP Member
    You know how effective a bullwhip would be against me? You would hit me once and it may sting, but be rest assured I would still be coming and would be even more pissed once I got my hands on you. LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

It works in the movies for Indiana Jones.

It probably won't work so great in reality. It's a fantasy weapon.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I really hope this thread was intended as a joke.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    If all you want to do is intimidate a bunch of kids it might work. However, do not confuse what you see in the cinema with reality. Flexible weapons are the hardest ones to learn to use effectively, with finesse. A bullwhip requires way too much room for any benefits it might bring. It is too easily moved inside of and taken from you by someone who is willing to risk being struck by it. It will also take up a lot of space in your pocket!

I saw a show once about it, with a guy who did most of the movie bullwhip handling, dont remember title of show, and I would agree with the posters, bullwhip wouldn't be something I would use in real life. But if you are really proficient, and person attacking is averse to pain, it could work. The tip, if I remember the show correctly, gets supersonic. If they get inside the whip,you could use the handle as impact weapon.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

With practice, you can put the tip wherever you want it, and it will break skin if it's a good whip. I bought a 6 foot bull whip a few years ago on a whim (nylon, not leather) and they are a lot of fun, but painful until you get good at it. I had gotten good at nailing soda cans, even managed to intercept some in mid-air.

Defensive tool? No thanks!! It would be good against snakes, and maybe small animals, but you need a lot of room to get the whip going correctly. You basically need a 6 foot circle around and above you if you want to use a 6 foot whip effectively, and 6 feet is considered short for a bull whip. Like I said, they are a blast to mess around with, but I wouldn't use it as a defensive tool.

Well, my daughter said it could be useful for my stealing food at the dinner table, so maybe it really isn't a good defensive weapon. Thanks for the welcome and the responses.

I'll get back to you. I need to put in a call to Lash Larue

I don't have personal experience with bullwhips, though I've always considered them an interesting weapon. They certainly have drawbacks, but in skilled hands are quite formidable.
    Consider that...
    "The popper (tip) can travel at 1,100 feet per second, and at that speed is totally invisible to both the naked eye and conventional video and film."

"The leather whip has the ability to cut flesh effortlessly and can break smaller bones in the body through impact alone."

"The crack of a heavy leather whip near the head is so powerful that it can cause permanent hearing loss, and any strike to the face is instantly incapacitating. A strike to the throat has enough power to crush the windpipe, ultimately resulting in death."

These quotes are all from the book, The Filipino Fighting Whip, by Tom Meadows. As the book points out, without extensive practice it is quite easy for the user to inflict all of these injuries on themselves. It is also suggested that a blade be used in the offhand to reduce the problems associated with a rushing attack.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eichorn View Post
    I don't have personal experience with bullwhips, though I've always considered them an interesting weapon. They certainly have drawbacks, but in skilled hands are quite formidable.
    Consider that...
    "The popper (tip) can travel at 1,100 feet per second, and at that speed is totally invisible to both the naked eye and conventional video and film."

"The leather whip has the ability to cut flesh effortlessly and can break smaller bones in the body through impact alone."

"The crack of a heavy leather whip near the head is so powerful that it can cause permanent hearing loss, and any strike to the face is instantly incapacitating. A strike to the throat has enough power to crush the windpipe, ultimately resulting in death."

These quotes are all from the book, The Filipino Fighting Whip, by Tom Meadows. As the book points out, without extensive practice it is quite easy for the user to inflict all of these injuries on themselves. It is also suggested that a blade be used in the offhand to reduce the problems associated with a rushing attack.
    I call Bull........
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I call Bull........
    In regards to anything in particular?
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I really hope this thread was intended as a joke.
    The OP is from Illinois like me. Just goes to show how desperate all of us Illinoisans are getting for CCW. lol
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I've handled whips for years. For combat you would use a shorter whip with a short stock. The infamous "Blacksnake" whips actually had no stock at all but had the handle end loaded with lead shot.

Using the coiled whip as a striking weapon is brutal. Much nastier than even the old fashion Black Jack and Saps that LE used at one time.

As for using it as people commonly think of a whips being used the face and fingers are the principle targets. It really will shatter small bones and rip flesh open in a very ugly manner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links