First knife I made

This is a discussion on First knife I made within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wanting one of these HAK's and firgured I could make one. It was my first try. I think the Steel is 01. My ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First knife I made

First knife I made

I've been wanting one of these HAK's and firgured I could make one.

It was my first try. I think the Steel is 01. My buddy at work is going to make his out of A1.

A being Air hardened and O being Oil hardened.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Man, I respect your desires, just be sure its a "personal-use" deal. The lady has a unique concept, and deserves the credit and $ for it.

cj
    Nice work. Would you mind talking about what tools were used?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Who is "the lady"? I recognize the knife's "type" as being similar to the "Hideaway Knife". ("HAK")

I wasn't aware it was a lady who came up with that -- if that's what you're talking about.

Now, as far as it being a "unique concept"... Is it really unique? I see it as sort of a common sense design, based on the "push-dagger." Do people really "own" those concepts? Does anyone really "own" the concept of opening a pocket knife with one hand (a la Spyderco, etc.)? Sometimes these notions make me wonder.

in fact, the spyderhole is a patented concept, as is the emerson wave. both of these were unique designs that other companies need permission to replicate. frontsight came up with a unique concept for for blade retention in the hand, a design that she came up with, and that makes it intellectual property. i've had the pleasure of speaking to her twice, and she doesn't seem the type to be litigious as far as her designs are concerned, but it IS her design. as someone said, give credit where credit is due.

Lead Moderator
    She who? Your post is unclear. Nice looking knife , anyways.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Nice job. can you also make an aluminum flash light with a beam that will focus? (or is that someones idea too?)

I know I can't name my new hamburger a "big mac" but I can make one like it and call it a big falkon.

I think your knife looks great and I say make more and sell them if you want.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    She who? Your post is unclear. Nice looking knife , anyways.

"she" is FrontSight, the woman who designed the HAK.

Lead Moderator
    Is this a user name on a forum, company name ? Never heard of it before.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    As long as he's not going into business selling them then I think he can make anything he wants for his own personal use.

Is anybody absolutely sure how the patent laws work on that sort of thing?

VIP Member
    A1 tool steel and an oil heat treat. Thats going to be one hard knife. But how about rusting?

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    Nice work. Would you mind talking about what tools were used?

I took the Idea from the Original HAK. Yeah I read an article in some Combat Handgun Magazine about her and her knife. Credit, credit, cridit.........Just no credit card today!! Really I will probably buy one someday.

I make tools all the time. I tend to make what I fancy and what I need. I really like the the HAK design. So here is what I did.

Took a peice of scrap O1 tool steel off the rack. I think it was 3/8" x 3" X 4.5".

Drew the knife in MasterCam. Guessed on most all dimentions. I did measure my fingers with some calipers. Just made the knife fit my piece of scrap material.

I used a 3/8 high speed steel endmill for the basic outside contour and inside pocket .

Used the same 3/8 endmil and made some soft jaws so I could flip it over and face the other side off.

Used a 1/2" ball mill for the blade contour on both sides. The blade contour was written as a surface in MaserCam. Had to mirror the soft Jaws for the other side of the bade.

It looks a lot like the same method that HAK probably uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    A1 tool steel and an oil heat treat. Thats going to be one hard knife. But how about rusting?
    I probably won't heat treat it. I might.

Heat treat would help to keep it from rusting some. Really though I don't live in a really damp part of world, keeping it clean and dry should keep it from rusting....maybe a little oil. Any Ideas??

I'm sure the art of knife making is a long and fascinating study, I probably should get a book on the subject. I knew a guy that made knives at my last job........did not get to ask him too many questions though.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I can certainly understand why you would want to make your own knife. The cost for one of the custom HideAways is 139 to 189 bucks. For me that is very high. I understand that there is shipping and different processes to pay for, but I'm not paying 139 bucks for a box cutter.

That being said... There is also an economy model available for 69 bucks. Ok that is more like it, but I would be more willing to pay 30 or 35 bucks for a box cutter.

The HideAway is a great knife and comes with great extras like a well thought out sheath and those cool "sheath sticks".

If you can make your own why not.

If you start selling box cutters let us know.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    I can certainly understand why you would want to make your own knife. The cost for one of the custom HideAways is 139 to 189 bucks. For me that is very high. I understand that there is shipping and different processes to pay for, but I'm not paying 139 bucks for a box cutter.

That being said... There is also an economy model available for 69 bucks. Ok that is more like it, but I would be more willing to pay 30 or 35 bucks for a box cutter.

The HideAway is a great knife and comes with great extras like a well thought out sheath and those cool "sheath sticks".

If you can make your own why not.

If you start selling box cutters let us know.
    Amen to that, I have a nice folder that holds an edge and is more complicated than a tiny 1-piece knife. I paid $40 for it, and it'll be a cold day when I pay $120 for something that cost $20 to make. Can you even patent a shape?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links