Questions About CO Knife Laws and Benchmade

This is a discussion on Questions About CO Knife Laws and Benchmade within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been looking for a good EDC, and have narrowed it down to a few choices. However, a friend told me to look at ...

Thread: Questions About CO Knife Laws and Benchmade

So I've been looking for a good EDC, and have narrowed it down to a few choices. However, a friend told me to look at the Benchmade Presidio and I saw one of the autos. My question is whether the Auto-Axis release is legal under CO laws. I've looked around a bit, and most of the debate seems to focus around the definition of switchblade ("Switchblade knife" means any knife, the blade of which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in its handle...) and if the Auto-Axis falls under this code.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

VIP Member
    Soon you'll be regulated to plastic knives, or maybe just sporks in CO.

Sorry I can't help on your actual question but I'm pretty disappointed with Colorado. I hope the good people of that state get their state government back soon!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Michigan has very vague knife laws which are open to much varied interpritation.
    Laws make knifes "easily opened with one hand" technically illegal, but everyone carries them without LE issues. And I guess that gives them legal standing.
    One day you will be asked to make the ultimate sacrafice for your country, freedom and liberty. Give only blood.

- Retired Army Major in 1976- My Grandpa

As long as it isn't a true auto with a button, you will be okay as long as it is under 3.5 inches. In places like Douglas County size (within reason) doesn't even matter. Just do do something stupid. A DA may try and use it as a tack on if you committed a separate crime, like shoplifting, disturbing the peace, fighting, etc. I was talking to a Denver PD LE and he said he has never taken a single knife from anyone. I would assume he means just out of the blue. I would assume he has taken one during an arrest.

One guy told me he went to DPD to turn in the paperwork for his CCW and he had to leave his SOG Trident with the front desk. When he returned the desk cop said it was an illegal knife as he handed it back to him. It was officially listed as 3.75 inches and he was in Denver.

Links