TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes

This is a discussion on TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hmmmm.....Common sense? I wonder how many of us will be stopped with our pocket knives? TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes - Yahoo! News...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes

Hmmmm.....Common sense? I wonder how many of us will be stopped with our pocket knives?
    TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes - Yahoo! News
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

How abt box cutters? That what the terriosts used...same thing IMHO. Might as well do away with TSA now.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Box cutters and razor blades are still banned......however the pocket knife with a 6cm or 2.3 inch blade it OK....BTW....Bottle of shampoo is banned.LOL
    Jeanlouise and Betty like this.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

If you fly First Class on Delta they give you a real metal knife on Lunch and Dinner Flights (nothing on snack flights). It is just like what is in my kitchen drawer for table silverware. They can be sharpened as they have a serrated blade, way longer than 6MM.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

For some strange reason they have allowed screwdrivers for a long time. I'm sure it would be real hard to figure out how to hurt someone with a screwdriver
    mulle46 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I saw a link that said that only "Swiss Army-style knives" with blades under 2.36" and .5" in width that don't have "molded handles" (whatever that means) will be allowed.

Totally unsure what the heck that means.
    Hakkaa päälle!

The TSA is decorative. They haven’t stopped a single incident, though passengers have tackled several would-be bombers. In my opinion hijacking a plane with Americans on board will not be possible so long as 9/11 persists in living memory. It doesn’t really matter what weapon you have if you’re outnumbered 5 to one.
    Jeanlouise, MrsHB and bmcgilvray like this.
    "If you are scared you die every day. If you are not scared, you die only once." -Giovanni Falcone

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I seldom fly but am against relaxing the rules. Look what happened with a simple box cutter.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    And now you can carry whiffle ball bats........

That's right the little plastic bats were banned...... I am feeling so less safe now that people can carry those yellow sticks of death with them on planes now.....
    mprp, shockwave and bmcgilvray like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes

I just the rules would be consistant. you can have knives on a plane but can't have a picture of a bb gun in school. You can have a .308 hunting rifle but if your .22 is black with a pistol grip its banned. An ar-15 is the angel of death and meant for war zones but dhs says its a good personal defense weapon. The government isn't even consistant in their tyranical takeover of our lives.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    TVJ, msgt/ret, bigsky109 and 1 others like this.

What really matters is the person carrying it and what they intend to do with it.
    phreddy likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I can't find anything on the TSA website supporting the article. Anyone have links? I'm flying this weekend and it would be nice to not have to check my little Case knife.

EDIT:

Found it. Doesn't go into effect until April 25th.

Statement on Changes to the Prohibited Items List | Transportation Security Administration

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    The TSA is as irrelevant as are highjackings. 911 fixed that. There will NEVER be another seccessful highjacking, as soon as a airliner is off course, unresponsive and headed toward a populated area... it will be shot down. Thats assuming someone could get past the cockpit door.

Went to Tsa website, no locking blades, 1/2in width or less, 2.36 inch blade. Allowing pool sticks now? And as Steve posted, they've allowed screwdrivers under 7" for a long time. I always carry my stinger flashlight when I fly.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    2.3 inches is pretty small. The blades on my Leatherman Charge are at least 2.75. I carry that all the time and hate having to leave it at home if I fly or check it in my luggage.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links