Serrated or not???

Serrated or not???

This is a discussion on Serrated or not??? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in a Ka-Bar TDI fixed blade for SD only. Opinions on whether to get serrated or non-serrated blade....

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stevew
  • 1 Post By 031131

Thread: Serrated or not???

Serrated or not???

I am interested in a Ka-Bar TDI fixed blade for SD only. Opinions on whether to get serrated or non-serrated blade.

Re: Serrated or not???

I picked up a half-serrated, half-not serrated TDI a while back for SD. I bought the blade style I did just in case I ever forgot my folder and needed to open/cut something. Since I carry it solely for self-defense (hope I never have to us it), I would buy a fully-serrated blade if I could do it over again.
    "Holy crap, what a turd that thing was. I love Ruger, but man, the first time I pulled the trigger I thought I was going to have a birthday before it broke. " - Yarg28

Most recommend the non-serrated and say that the serrations may snag on clothing etc...

I recently picked up a TDI in combo edge (half and half) and noticed that the serrations are of a unique design...

They are canted toward the tip of the blade and rounded also.

So if it is used in a slicing motion (as opposed to a straight thrust/stab) then I don't really see how the serrations would snag...

If used in a thrust motion... the way that the blade lines up with the forearm would provide sufficient force to overcome the resistance of most clothing (denim, etc.)

Just IMHO and FWIW...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

If I will be using a knife to cut line, rope, cord, straps or anything of that nature I like serrated. For everything else I prefer a regular blade. Half serrated ends up clipped to my pocket most often.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Also...

I only intend to use the TDI for SD/sidearm retention purposes...

I carry it weak side.

There's a SOG Trident that I carry strong side that I use for my everyday blade needs.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    I like half-serrated/half-non. Serrations really make a mess of some things like paper (I use my knife to open letters), but are incredibly good at cutting rope/straps, etc. So the half/half lets me use the non-serrated part to open up envelopes, and the serrations give me fast, extra cutting power. If you're going to with serrations, make sure you have the tools to sharpen them properly.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

My rafting rescue knife is the only knife I own with serrations. My TDI is a large plain edge it is just a personal choice.

like Stevew and Betty, i recommend serrations if you frequently cut things like rope or cord. i rarely do, so virtually all of my knives have straight cutting edges. my only serrated knife is an old Spyderco Co-pilot, which only has 1-3/4" of cutting edge.

I knives keep my knives very sharp with a stone but the thought of using that technique of sharpening seems like it would leave dull spots on the valleys of the serration. How do you guys keep a keen edge on a serrated knife?

VIP Member
    I'm not a knife guy but I'm fully qualified to answer your question as I have stayed
    at that famous motel chain, and I've read, "Knife fighting, a practical course, by Janich."

I think I'd choose one without serrations. And I'd also choose to never get in a knife
    fight.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

My Ka-Bar is 1/2 & 1/2...I do not use it for cutting anything...only carried as an emergency knife.
    Never play with a Ka-Bar unless you have a box of bandaids around.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've had half-serrated blades, as well as some plain-edge blades. The serrations have their place, but generally I personally find the plain-edge to be more commonly useful, given my uses for the blade. I typically need to cut boxes, tape, occasional cloth, some twine, rarely rope, and very rarely anything else. (Smaller folder for SD and daily use, here.)

Up to you. Depends on what you need it to cut and how effectively you feel that type of blade edge cuts those things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

straight edge, I'm not a fan of serrated just because I'm not particularly good at sharpening a serrated blade. However for a sd knife, especially one such as the tdi that is meant to stab and not slash straight is all you need.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member

Serrated or not???

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I've had half-serrated blades, as well as some plain-edge blades. The serrations have their place, but generally I personally find the plain-edge to be more commonly useful, given my uses for the blade. I typically need to cut boxes, tape, occasional cloth, some twine, rarely rope, and very rarely anything else. (Smaller folder for SD and daily use, here.)

Up to you. Depends on what you need it to cut and how effectively you feel that type of blade edge cuts those things.
    I agree. I have some half serrated blades but generally I found that they didn't see any more practical use than my plain edged blades; add the fact that they are harder to maintain and I just can't see much reason to carry one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Links