Cold Steel - Page 2

Cold Steel

This is a discussion on Cold Steel within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you can ignore Thompson's attitude, they're great knives for the money. I own (or have owned) a Ti-lite, a Gunsite II (great knife), a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Steel

If you can ignore Thompson's attitude, they're great knives for the money.

I own (or have owned) a Ti-lite, a Gunsite II (great knife), a SafeKeeper (push-dagger), a Ready Edge (small fixed blade), and probably a couple of others. All have been great knives. The only thing I don't like is the way they cut their serrations. They don't seem to hold up to hard use very well.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    I have only used their fixed blades and they were good. They are good, hard working knives.
    I've bought a few for gifts also and folks were quite happy with them.
    Ebay is a good place to get an occasional deal on one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Knives

I think there is at least one Cold Steel knife in this pic~?

You bet, 2nd from the top~!
    Attached Images

I have carried a Recon 1 every day for atleast the last three years.I sharpen mine about every three weeks because it gets alot of use.I think Colt Steel knives are a great product for the amount of money they cost.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    The only thing I don't like is the way they cut their serrations. They don't seem to hold up to hard use very well.
    True, and they are somewhat mis-marketed. Their serrations are not for "hard-use", they are for making deep cuts in meat, and they do that better than anyone else's offering. Unless things have changed, CS serrated's are the only blades Hatch will not warrant their Resistor (kevlar lined) gloves against.

I have quite a few Cold Steel knives and they are a decent value for the dollar.
    I have an SRK that is my 'garage' knife and general outdoor 'beater' knife. It has been positively thrashed on and yet it still keeps an edge very well and the blade coating has withstood the test of time.
    I keep a CS Voyager Tanto in my vehicle and also have a Voyager Clippoint in my garage as a folder back-up to my SRK.
    All keep and hold an edge quite well and the folders do have very strong back-locks.
    I've owned and used many other CS knives through the years including: Hai Hocho, Recon Tanto, Special Ops Tanto, Bushman, Trailmaster, Oyabun, ProLite Tanto, and Master Hunter.

I would recommend CS knives because they are a great value.
    (If you can look past Lynn Thompson's brash marketing and the fact that CS doesn't actually manufacture any of their knives themselves.)

Regards,
    Mike

ckd
    +1 on Cold Steel as a product line. I see it as a Glock, they are not as sexy or pricey as some other very fine knives, but they are up to hard use, well balanced, reasonably priced and get the job done. For the dollar I can't think of a better blade; you guessed, I am biased, owning a few does make me partial.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Unless things have changed, CS serrated's are the only blades Hatch will not warrant their Resistor (kevlar lined) gloves against.
    That's interesting...I didn't know that. In one of the Cold Steel "proof" dvd's they show them cutting a pair of Hatch gloves with a rib inserted into each of the fingers of the glove (to simulate the bones and tissues of the fingers). The knife had no trouble cutting through the glove, the meat, and the bone.

OTOH, I cut up a pair of my old Hatch Resistors with one of my plain-edged Spyderco Enduras (just to see how hard it would be) and was surprised to see how little effort it took. Granted, I keep my knives sharper than many people (I'm kind of anal about razor-sharp knives) but it still makes you think..."cut resistant" does not mean "cut-PROOF."
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Have you noticed?

Have you noticed through this entire thread not one person has trashed Cold Steel knives (or anything in their product line) as junk, a poor value or a rotten piece of sh*t? That no one has told a horror story about their Customer Service or a wrongly rejected warranty claim? There's been some well-deserved jabs about Lynn Thompson's ego and mentions that they're not the FINEST blades available at any price on the planet. But I, like most folks joining us here, have knives EVERYWHERE! I have drawers full. They're snug in my pocket, packed on my belt, tucked in my truck, scattered in my toolboxes, slipped in my range bags, slung around my neck and (if I dared to look!) buried in my wife's purse. Some of those many dozens of knives are Cold Steel products. They've done everything I've asked, more than I expected & never let me down. What more can you ask of ANY product?

With all the well-spoken opinionators on this thread, if there was anything WRONG with a Cold Steel knife you can bet your Grandma's iron lung that SOMEONE would have let us know. Buy one, cut something, keep cutting somethings and decide for yourself. Me? I'm keeping every one of mine and likely will buy a another one or two.

They are good knives, are sharp and are very durable. I've purposly abused one for a few years in camping, hunting, logging, digging a trench and throwing it. It still sharpens great, cuts great and looks great oddly enough. Actually I love my cold steel knive. But after reading this remember that I purposly abused it just to see if cold steel's turture tests held water and ... they do!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links