Fixed-blade recommendations?

This is a discussion on Fixed-blade recommendations? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a double-edged, fixed straight-blade fighting knife, such as an Applegate style dagger. Any recommendations? I'm looking for something in the $50-100 range. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed-blade recommendations?

I'm looking for a double-edged, fixed straight-blade fighting knife, such as an Applegate style dagger. Any recommendations? I'm looking for something in the $50-100 range. 5-6" blade, nothing fancy--doesn't even need to be super-ninja-cool in all black or camo.

It's not going to be used as a tool; I have a utility knife for non-combat tasks. (Heading out to someplace sandy in the near future...)

Thanks,

AX

A Fairbairn/Sykes knife might be worth looking into. They have a similar profile to the Applegate, but are a bit thinner, and seem to be a little bit lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by joker581 View Post
    A Fairbairn/Sykes knife might be worth looking into. They have a similar profile to the Applegate, but are a bit thinner, and seem to be a little bit lighter.
    Any recommendations on makers? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Any recommendations on makers? Thanks!
    I think mine are No-Will knives, or something similar. I got them at the Ranger Joe's store in Colombus, GA.

There are quite a few makers of varying quality out there. Brigade Quartermaster and RJs both sell good ones.

The downside of the F/S knives is the relative weakness of the tip. The Applegate is likely a better choice if it is going to be a high mileage knife.

Ex Member Array Roundeyesamurai's Avatar
    If you're not totally obsessed with having a double-edged knife (and truth be told, the only real reason to insist upon two full edges is due to obsession), then I would highly recommend buying a Glock field knife. They're built as tough as Ka-Bars, they hold an extremely good edge, and they have the sort of blade profile you're looking for. Best part, they can be had for about $30.

Ek Commando. Desert Storm edition with slight leaf-blade, double-edge. Beautiful.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Nevermind. Just checked and they are around $250 for Ek's now. I bought mine around 1995 for $90.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

If you can go a little bit more than $100 try this one: http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=156

Otherwise I would go with one of those Gerber Bootknives.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

SOG Pentagon

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My question is why fixed , new locking systems cure the " breakover " issue with folders ... why carry a larger package than you have to .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Fixed blades are faster to deploy & stronger, but do require dressing around them. Do some FoF with both and you will see it is no contest.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    SOG Daggert 1 or 2; Cold Steel Counter TAC 1or 2. Cold Steel is sharper, SOG is sturdier.

Oregon ... I do admit that i have limited FoF training , howeaver the last fof i had was in a bar and i got stitches for .. again why fixed for a knife .. the strength issues hold up if its a primairy but for what i and most of us carry a knife for ... the only legit reason is that " i prefer fixed blades " lol that is like i prefer 1911s , or i prefer polimer pistols .. ect.. anyway ... my thoughts on the issue , i like a good knife as much as anyone , but my day to day carry knives all fold up and have clips .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

I carry both. A small folder for opening boxes etc and a FB at the 11 o'clock position on the belt for accessing in a clinch. I'm having a custom Pikal made for this right now. It's a small 3" blade and 7"OAL for defense only.

Try accessing your knife under duress and you will see right away that popping a folder is not as easy as you think.

Most people will not want to add the burden of concealment to carry such, but one class with SouthNarc and I was convinced that my folder was not going to get into any fight very quickly or at all.

If you have time to access a knife before you are being beat down then you should have accessed your gun instead. The FB on the waist is for when you are behind the curve and can't draw.

I think there is a tendency to think that just because under no stress we can produce a locked folder in hand fairly easily that we will be able to when the adrenaline dumps. I think it's the same thinking that Pepper spray will stop someone.

Actually testing the theory leaves a lot to be desired of the folder. If it's all you have, it's all you have, but a FB is miles ahead in deployment IMO.

Am I addressing your questions or missing a point?

Ore I will agree with some of your thoughts , a fixed blade is allways going to be faster than a folder for example ... there is just no way to draw and deploy a folder as fast as a draw and deploy a fixed .. that is truth ... i have worked with kinves on both ends tho under stress and have not found unfolding the knife to be a real slowdown , my slowdown has been more selecting the tool than deploying a folder .. now granted i have only used a knife once for defense , but even then i did not find a folder ( spyderco ) to be a real slowdown ... and i have used it a lot for other than defensive uses ( from cutting folks out of wrecks to opening a pop bottle ( you remember pop tops dont ya lol ) and i am just saying that I and only I have never found a fixed blade to be worth the pain to carry around it .. in any fashon ... now that is once you discount guttig elk ect ... fixed do shine for that .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links