Tactical Knife or Multi-tool?

This is a discussion on Tactical Knife or Multi-tool? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the past several months, there have been hundreds of times that I thought, wow a knife would be handy right how. Additionally, there have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Tactical Knife or Multi-tool?

Tactical Knife or Multi-tool?

Over the past several months, there have been hundreds of times that I thought, wow a knife would be handy right how. Additionally, there have been many (although less) times where something more than a knife was needed.

Which raises the question, what would be better, a tactical knife, or a multi-tool? I have been searching for something and for something good, they would be about the same price.

2. Remove Ads

Or both? Leatherman multi tool, price varies based on the one you get. I think I have the 300 model which was about $70. Leather sheath goes comfortably on my belt and until just now I forgot I even had it. Then I got a gerber ar 3.0 roughly $30-35 for my general purpose cutting needs. That blade has served me well in the 3 years I've been carrying it. But generally speaking I like knives and if you want to count the leatherman multitool I have 4 on me.

I do recommend an actual knife for cutting things. I've had 3 other multitools of which I've broke the blades on all of them and the pliers on one of them. I have never broken a real knife blade. Those thin multitool knives just don't hold up to any real task.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Both...

Multi-tools are good for everyone, great for no one...

You can get a good knife for around 50 dollars (aus8 or 440c steel).

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I used to carry a multi tool everyday and used it everyday.
    I honestly do not know why I stopped carrying it.
    Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.

Romans 13:4
    But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Both. Have carried a multi-tool (Gerber) for years to work. Started carrying on weekends, also. Now, also carry an autoknife.
    "As the economy gets weak, the dollar loses value. Invest in precious metals." I'm investing in lead.

Both. I carry a Wave and three knives.

I have not been without a knife since about 9th grade. I'm 39 now. Bought myself a nice new toy at the gun show this weekend. A Spyderco Delica with Emerson wave. It's not cheap but it's a great knife and you can open it one handed when the wave catches the back of the pocket. I vote for knife for sure. I've had a couple multi tools and never really like them. I just keep pliers and screwdrivers in my bag at work instead.
    LynnL likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Been issued a lot of different multi tools, but I found that I preferred regular tools better. I keep a small toolkit in my car for those occasions where I might need them. The only multi tool I ever seemed to enjoy was the Leatherman Wave.

I carry a Razel everyday (combo knife combing a straight edge like a razor or box cutter and a cutting to like a chisel.) I have the stubby from Columbia River Knife & Tool. I don't have the extra cash for one from Graham knives out the time to wait for one to be made &delivered. If I'm in the woods I carry a Knives of Alaska "Elk Hunter" in D2 tool steel.

I thought the razel was gimmicky until I held one. Its useful fur everything I generally need each day. It's so useful I gave my Spyderco Endura in VG10 to my teenage son.
    Check out the links: http://www.crkt.com/jongraham
    http://www.grahamknives.com/razel.as...- Razel? Facts
    Last edited by zcostilla; March 19th, 2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: clarity & fix links

Both.

When at work it's usually a discrete midsize folder like a spyderco caly3 paired with a swiss army knife that includes pliers (usually a mechanic model) and a flashlight (usually a 2AA or 2AAA streamlight or 4sevens). The swiss army is super non-threatening for performing little tasks around non-knife people.

Off work it's a larger folder like an endura or Aegis paired with a mid sized leatherman and a second flashlight (1AAA that rides in the sheath with the leatherman).

I've been carrying the Leatherman MUT and I use it just about every day. Not only is it the most rugged tool in my daily carry kit, but it also looks like it's a transformer
    "I don't know what it's called... I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life"
    - Tropic Thunder

Goodness... let see, that ould mean I would carry a gun (S&W Shield in super tuck deluxe), multi-tool, knife, flashlight, iPhone, wallet, and keys. Is it me, or does that seem like a lot? Even More so given that in the summer, I am in dress pants and a polo shirt.

Perhaps keeping the multi-tool in my car would be a good thing. Another friend bought a key chain flash light and I was shocked at how bright it was and how the beam could be controlled. I should ask him about what kind it was. I know it was super small and insane bright.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Over the past several months, there have been hundreds of times that I thought, wow a knife would be handy right how. Additionally, there have been many (although less) times where something more than a knife was needed.

Which raises the question, what would be better, a tactical knife, or a multi-tool? I have been searching for something and for something good, they would be about the same price.
    I like multitools but i decided on a tactical folder.Two reasons .1. A multitool has to be carried in a sheath of some sort on the belt.I do not whant any more items on my belt.2. A knife can be a weapon and a tool .A multitool makes a poor cumbersome weapon.
    The easy way is always mined.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I'll also go with "both". I hardly ever use the blade on my multi-tool, mainly using the screw drivers or pliers for light work. The knife is mainly for cutting. The blades are too fragile for anything other than opening letters and the metal on the rest is not such good quality, either.

Dumb story: One of my co-workers was stopped by a police officer down in Los Angeles for carrying a multi tool. This kid works in fish plants, where the knives range from 6" trimmers to 24" halibut heading knives that would make the typical gang banger wet his pants, so he is a little puzzled by how upset this cop was about a multi-tool. The cop flips out both blades and says something about how fearsome a weapon that was.

Try threatening someone with a multi tool in that configuration in an Alaska village and children will follow you around, snickering. People will still be laughing about the dumb cheechaco 30 years from now. Try it in the local barrios and you might be able to escape while all the locals roll on the floor, laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Goodness... let see, that ould mean I would carry a gun (S&W Shield in super tuck deluxe), multi-tool, knife, flashlight, iPhone, wallet, and keys. Is it me, or does that seem like a lot? Even More so given that in the summer, I am in dress pants and a polo shirt.

Perhaps keeping the multi-tool in my car would be a good thing. Another friend bought a key chain flash light and I was shocked at how bright it was and how the beam could be controlled. I should ask him about what kind it was. I know it was super small and insane bright.
    Full size hg iwb, fixed blade (5" blade 3" handle or 3.5"blade 3"handle depending on the plants) iwb opposite gun, zytel tri lite clip to right pocket, gerber ar 3.0 clipped to right pocket. iphone, keys, wallet, leatherman on belt, pen, lighter (I don't smoke, just good to have), and a usb thumb drive. I love not having knife laws :). Anyway all that is easy to carry.

Give it a week you'll get used to it.

Administrator
    I just recently bought a Leatherman but, it is for the Bug Out Bag.
    The actual knife that I carry every day is a SOG Pentagon Elite II.
    The blade in the Leatherman though razor sharp is not what I will need a blade for when I need a blade.
    I carry the SOG because it sports a 5" blade which is what I want for a defensive knife that is decently quick to deploy with one hand.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links