any other waves?

This is a discussion on any other waves? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Spyderco Delica 4 Wave C11PGYW and the Endura 4 Wave C10PGYW both have the point-facing hook on the back to open them on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any other waves?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

any other waves?

The Spyderco Delica 4 Wave C11PGYW and the Endura 4 Wave C10PGYW both have the point-facing hook on the back to open them on the edge of the pocket when drawn.

This looks like an excellent feature---instant opening without any gravity or spring assist, which are illegal in many places.

If you know of other examples of this opening-hook technology, please let me know. I plan to get one. Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Anubis; November 7th, 2006 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling difficulties

2. Remove Ads

Thanks! I knew there had to be more.

Actually I think (someone here will correct me if I'm wrong) that Emerson is the one who first came out with the idea. There are also a few videos on the website that I posted above if you want to see them in action. I love Emersons but can't afford one at this point. Very good knives though...but then you pay for quality so...

New Member Array rustyshackleford's Avatar
    i think he was the first to patent it, but ive read that there were a few other knives that unintentionally had a sort of wave in their knives, such as in the case this one Kershaw folder that had a bottle opener on the opposite side, and could be used as a quick deploy.

that was the kershaw talon you're talking about. they stopped making them, and put thumbstuds on them. cold steel is now putting thumplates and quillons on some folders, and they're supposed to work like the wave.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a couple of " waved " spydercos myself , and let me tell ya " Wavin " them is easy , but getting them " waved " where they are an adiquate drink bottle opener ( yea pop offs on bottles lol ) and wont tear pants up due to draw is another thing LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I got a Spyderco Delica---nice knife. It has "Emerson Pat. #5,878,500" on the blade, and the literature refers to the Emerson Video Vault.

Less than half the price of the waved Emersons, plus the hook appears to be larger on the Delica, which I like.

I may have to get an Endura wave too, just for the collection. Unfortunately, Colorado is one of the states with a statutory blade-length limit (3.5 inches) for concealed carry. The Delica is under it, the Endura is over.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    I have a cold steel ak and it has a triangular thumb stud that opens it as it comes out of the pocket verry quick.Oh and a skull crusher on the but of it i like it alot

The Emerson wave feature is grade A #1... If you are buying one for edc, I'd recommend buying one of the "mini" models... Plenty big enough, but not too big...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I was given a Delica Wave for my birthday in September (bro is always good for cool gifts!) and I really like it a lot. It's simply amazing how with the right draw technique (not hard at all to master) the knife comes out of the pocket OPEN!

I have the Endura, its my EDC knife. I really love the feature. I wish that spyderco would purchase the rights to make more waved knives. I have finally gotten the hang of it so that I have stopped tearing my pants. I would love to own a waved Civilian. One day I will own an Emerson, but it might be a while.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I think that there is a limitation to which knives may ever receive the "Wave" treatment, based on the fact that some Spydercos are designed to be carried tip-down in the pocket. This means that the hinge rides high; it is a feature that helps keep a long, heavy blade from inadvertently opening in the pocket and presenting a hidden hazard to the hand as it reaches in to extract the knife.

To get an idea, grasp a large book by the spine. Notice how it wants to stay closed when you hold the spine high and let the pages dangle. Notice how it wants to splay open when you hold the spine low and point the pages up.

Same basic principle applies to the knife in the pocket. The smaller the knife, usually the more likely it will be designed for tip-up carry. In my experience, I think most of the larger Spydercos are designed for tip-down carry. (Some of their knives, like the recent Delicas and Enduras, have four positions for the clip to be attached, allowing for tip-up/down, left/right carry. Yet another reason why Spyderco has an almost fanatically devoted following.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    In my experience, I think most of the larger Spydercos are designed for tip-down carry. Some of their knives, like the recent Delicas and Enduras, have four positions for the clip to be attached, allowing for tip-up/down, left/right carry. Yet another reason why Spyderco has an almost fanatically devoted following.
    I noticed and liked the fact that the 4 clip positions are featured on both Spyderco waves, Delica and Endura. Luckily the Torx #6 drive I bought for the Benchmade clip screws also fit those of the Spydercos.

I have spent enough money on mid-range Benchmade knives; I too am becoming a Spyderco fan.
    Last edited by Anubis; November 23rd, 2006 at 12:24 PM. Reason: OCD

Quote Originally Posted by JKFrost68 View Post
    The Emerson wave feature is grade A #1... If you are buying one for edc, I'd recommend buying one of the "mini" models... Plenty big enough, but not too big...
    I am still on the quest for the perfect EDC. I like the "Americanized" tanto profile, so I looked into the Emersons. Found the waved CQC tantos ranging from 3 to 4 inch blade lengths. Settled on the CQC7BW-BT; its 3.3 inch blade is legal here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links