Spyderco Military C36GPBK - REVIEW

This is a discussion on Spyderco Military C36GPBK - REVIEW within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Specifications: Blade: 4" Overall: 9.5" Length Closed: 5.5" Hole Diameter: 9/16" Cutting Edge: 3.69" Blade Thickness: 5/32" Blade Steel: CPM-S30V Weight: 4.2 oz. Handle: G-10 ...

Thread: Spyderco Military C36GPBK - REVIEW

Specifications:
    Blade: 4"
    Overall: 9.5"
    Length Closed: 5.5"
    Hole Diameter: 9/16"
    Cutting Edge: 3.69"
    Blade Thickness: 5/32"
    Blade Steel: CPM-S30V
    Weight: 4.2 oz.
    Handle: G-10
    Made in Golden, Colorado U.S.A. Earth

The blade on the Spyderco Military is constructed out of CPM-S30V stainless steel. The large blade, combined with the superb blade shape, and Spyderco's phenomenal full flat grind provides some of the best cutting performance. It slices extremely well, and thanks to the fine tip, pierces very well and excels at precision cutting. Between breaking down heavy-duty cardboard boxes, food prep and all the day-to-day cutting task. The blade still retains a razor sharp edge!

The jimping on this knife is very good. Whether you're wearing gloves or not you'll be able to get a firm secure purchase on the knife for making cuts. And the forward finger choil allows you to choke up on the blade for making precision cuts.

The handle on the Spyderco Military knife is constructed using textured G10 handles with a liner lock. One thing I really like about this knife is that the SS liners are nested into the G10. Not only does it look much better but it helps bring the weight down. The texture on the G10 is superb whether you're wearing gloves or not. Even in wet conditions you won't have to worry about slippage. Sliding it in and out of your pocket won't be an issue either like other knives with extreme textured G10. Closing the blade with gloves on can be a executed with no issues with the help of jimping on the liner-lock.

The one and only thing I wish Spyderco gave more consideration in when building this knife was the pocket clip. The clip position cant be changed, and it is set at right-hand tip down. While I can accustom to the changes, some people would find this to be a deal breaker. The clip is very very strong, but yet is easy to get in and out of the pocket.

More Pictures:
    - Military, Paramil2, Manix2XL - Closed - Open - Top
    - Military, Zero Tolerance 0560 - Closed - Open - Top

My final conclusion on the Spyderco Military: The Military is far above average in regards to cutting ability due to the high flat grind and thin and acute edge. The very slim point also offers extreme ease of penetration, though care needs to be taken to avoid lateral loads due to the small cross section. Fresh out of the box it had a RAZOR EDGE. Like I've said in the past, Spyderco does a superb job at making sure you get a sharp knife out of box. The handle ergonomics are excellent and the ability to get a secure grip is due to the great texture on the G10 slabs.

For other gear reviews check out my WEBSITE
    Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
    The Knife Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Knives
    Facebook - Instagram

Great review, and wonderful camera work!

RKM
    If the only made this capable of being tip-up, it would probably be on my top 3 list. Because of that, the Paramiltary 2 will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    If the only made this capable of being tip-up, it would probably be on my top 3 list. Because of that, the Paramiltary 2 will have to do.
    I have a brand new in the box Paramil2 for sale. PM ME if you wanna swing down to York for it :)
    Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
    The Knife Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Knives
    Facebook - Instagram

Nice review and great photos!

I think the Military/ParaMilitary line are some of Spyderco's best blades. I don't see why they don't use a deep carry pocket clip on ALL their knives. I have a Paramilitary 2 and the clip is deeper than the one on the Military, but still not as deep as some of their other clips. The PM2 also has a 4-way clip, so that's a plus too.

Every time they put a clip on a knife that carries high in the pocket, the clip always seems to be the only complaint for that knife.

Spyderco should wake up and stop putting high riding pocket clips on any of their knives. No one I know of likes them!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Nice photos and great review. If I had known about their military knives I might have opted for one before the Benchmade I just ordered.

Links