any free knife fight guides?

This is a discussion on any free knife fight guides? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hi, im just looking for some free reads of knife fighting guides/techniques, any suggestions?...

Thread: any free knife fight guides?

New Member Array rustyshackleford's Avatar

any free knife fight guides?

hi, im just looking for some free reads of knife fighting guides/techniques, any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    A great little book comes with every Randall that you buy. (still got mine)

'Bout as politically INCORRECT as you can get though. Show it to a liberal and they'ed probably faint. -------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    A great little book comes with every Randall that you buy. (still got mine)

'Bout as politically INCORRECT as you can get though. Show it to a liberal and they'ed probably faint. -------

Could you quote some and make bumber stickers?
    -Biker

VIP Member
    Here's a link to an interesting site:

http://www.gutterfighting.org/Main.html

Some free info on several different methods and tools...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My suggestion is DON'T , if you participate in a knife fight you WILL be cut . create distance , go to handgun if at all possible , if not suggest to the other participant you ajurn to the er now , and have the fight there .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

While I agree that a knife fight won't be pretty, I don't think we have the option to pick and choose.

As I have heard stated before by several experienced fighters, "the fight is not what you want it to be, it is what it is".

You may not have standoff distance and may not be able to get it. If you don't know how to defend hand to hand against a knife or be able to use your own knife, you may go on to your reward without ever getting a chance to draw your gun.

The anti gunners say that if attacked, call 911. We know that is not reasonable because you can't effectively dial the phone number when attempting to block a club, knife or dodge a bullet.

This is kinda the same thing. We say don't worry about the knife, just create distance and then shoot. That could be hard to do if the first indication of a fight is a knife slashing at you at close range.

And its not a matter of situational awareness. As much as we would like to believe it, it is not possible to keep everyone you meet outside of the "21 foot" mark.

I practice a lot and can generally shoot nice little groups at stationary targets on the range. A violent attack is different. You can prove this for yourself. Get something to similate your gun and have a friend attack you from six or seven feet away. You know the attack is coming but I guarantee you will not effectively get your gun into play before your friend crashes into you. In a real life fight, you won't even know the fight is on until he crashes into you.

You need to be able to create the stand off distance by using your hands, feet, teeth, your knife, your opponent's knife, club or whatever.

In my younger days, I have seen some extremely violent unarmed attacks where I believe that the victim would not have been able to draw a weapon if he had one until he stopped the violent onslaught.

My advice is to find a reputable knife instructor in your area. I am planning to enroll my wife and myself (she likes knives a lot more than me) in a class after the holidays. I would like to get someone like Sotas, Keating or Janich or maybe someone in my area recommended by them.

I have a martial arts background but that was many years ago. Somewhere along the way, I got old, fat and slow. I am working to lose weight, regain the strength I have lost and get in better overall shape. Knife training is definitely in my future.

As for free info, if you find any, please let us know. I know that Gabe Suarez has a $20 introductory knife video that goes over dynamic opening and various slashes and thrusts. It's well worth the money as it provides a solid foundation of the basics.

Do whatever you need to stay safe out there!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I know that Gabe Suarez has a $20 introductory knife video that goes over dynamic opening and various slashes and thrusts. It's well worth the money as it provides a solid foundation of the basics.

Do whatever you need to stay safe out there!
    +1. James Keating, Kelly McCann, and SouthNarc all have worthwile advice, also.

Bring a gun.

Granted time is of the essence - it is possible that you won't have any. But it does seem that if you can reach your knife, you can reach your gun. Why play games?

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    A study conducted by the USMS revealed that 92% of the people involved in a knife fight never even knew they were involved in one until after it was over. Knifes do not kill quickly, but in a situation where you need to create distance and do not have other means, a blade can mean the difference between life and death. Do a search of your area, or call a local knife manufactor. There are alot of knife fighting clubs in most areas. I highly recommend that everyone face off against someone armed with a shockknife. It will truly teach you what to expect when a knife is used against you.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nerual View Post
    Granted time is of the essence - it is possible that you won't have any. But it does seem that if you can reach your knife, you can reach your gun. Why play games?
    Not necessarily...

1. If you only carry one gun and you've either sustained an injury to your "strong-side" arm/hand, or you're involved in a wrestling/grappling situation with the BG, a knife may initially be easier and faster to deploy than your firearm.

2. If you're forced to utilize a "deep-concealment" method (smart-carry, ankle-holster, belly-band, etc.) it might be faster to draw the folder clipped to your pocket than to dig the gun out from wherever you have it stashed.

3. A knife can be "palmed" in anticipation of danger much more covertly than most pistols.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

IMHO Knives are actualy the proper tool for thoes " fight in a phone booth " situations . My large ( suitable for a fight ) kinves are bought as tools first thou with little or no thought to how it would serve as a " fighter " . My primairy plan is to stand outside that " phone booth " and shoot into it . That is where situational awareness plays a key role . I have btdt and did not like being cut , so I re evaluated how i handle strangers around me to help minimise the chances of a repeat .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

RE: 92% info-I'm not surprised that people involved didn't know it. I was WATCHING a knife-assault one night, happening as I was getting out of a car on a call. Suspect was "punching" victim in the upper body repeatedly. When they disengaged, I saw victim holding herself in an odd way, and realized that she had punctures. Story then involved much gun pointing and such on my part. I have talked with two officers involved in face-to-face, close quarter, edged weapon attacks. Neither was aware a knife was invoved until they saw the rips in their clothing. Luckily, neither was injured. Emphasis on LUCKILY.
    Last edited by sheepdog; November 18th, 2006 at 09:49 AM. Reason: detail
    What Would Gumby Do?

A knife can be "palmed" in anticipation of danger much more covertly than most pistols.
    +1. I used to work a job in a bad area of town and I ha to park quite a ways away from my job site. When walking back, I would palm a mid-sized pocket knife in one or both hands (usually one, though) and no one noticed a thing.

Also, I think it's a bad idea to attempt drawing a firearm when you are in extremely close proximity to a person (ie: knife-fighting range), because of the possibility of its being taken away and used against you. I think it's much harder to grab a knife away than a gun, due to the fact that a gun is only dangerous if pointed at you, but a knife -- especially double-edged -- is dangerous from many angles.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

read my sig line lol .

Links