Stream pepperspray less stopping power?

This is a discussion on Stream pepperspray less stopping power? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering buying pepperspray. I'm still not sure whether to buy stream or fog. Now the general consensus is that stream is the way to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Stream pepperspray less stopping power?

I'm considering buying pepperspray. I'm still not sure whether to buy stream or fog. Now the general consensus is that stream is the way to go.

I understand the reasons why most people, also on this boards, favor stream. I think that for most situations stream is a good choice. But what if we look at stopping power only?

A short while ago I talked to a instructor who's also been sprayed several times himelf, and he claimed that a cone-fog has a more direct stopping power. Sure, after 30 seconds there is no difference between taking a hit with either of the two, but when not directly hitten in the eye with a stream the aggressor might still have a few seconds before the effects really kick in. When hit with a fog in the same spot (in the face, but not directly in the eye), the aggressor is sooner incapacitated because it inhibits the breathing more then with a stream.

Any opinions about this statement? Does a fog/cone really stops a aggressor slightly more direct than a stream?

I'm betting much depends on the assailant who's hit with it. To those most-sensitive in the lungs, aerosol inhalants can wreak havoc. To those most sensitive in the exposed membranes (eyes, nose), a direct shot with stream can be the most-immediate incapacitator.

So long as you're comparing equivalently dosed products, I wouldn't much worry about it.

My method of choice: decided that stream was preferable to avoid zapping myself as much as possible; and decided on going with the highest dose/heat measure of product out there. I'll accept that I can't control what susceptibility a given assailant's going to exhibit.

Fox Labs -- 5.3M SHU, stream or fog.
    USM1976 and FlaRon like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Actually unless you are going to practice on a regular basis using the stream you are better off using the cone pattern. Think of trying to hit a randomly moving target the size of a paper plate with either a hand held laser or a broad beam flash light. Which one would you stand a better chance of hitting your target with under an extreme stress situation?

The risk of getting a small amount of "blow back" on you is not nearly as bad as missing your target totally. A quality pepper spray such as Fox Labs with the cone pattern is a much better choice for someone who hasn't been through complete defensive spray training.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Buy a can of fog and try spraying with it...you and the bad guy will get plenty of it.
    Try spraying it out of a car window...hope you don't plan on driving right away.

The stream is much easier to direct and is quite effective. You may still get some back at you, but not like the fog.OMOYMV
    I speak from personal experience.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Buy a can of fog and try spraying with it...you and the bad guy will get plenty of it.
    Try spraying it out of a car window...hope you don't plan on driving right away.

The stream is much easier to direct and is quite effective. You may still get some back at you, but not like the fog.OMOYMV
    I speak from personal experience.
    Not sure of what brand you are referring to as a fog but I do know that the Fox Labs isn't like a spray paint can, it's more of a splatter stream it's defiantly not a fog. The stream is still more difficult for the untrained user to direct where it needs to go. The cone pattern is still easier to get on the vital target areas when under stress. For a stationary target it may be easy to correct your aim but on any moving target it's much more difficult to aim a stream.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I can only say as a person who has used can after can,,after can...after can...after can...especially in the 90's before we got the taser of OC both stream...fog...foam... alcohol propellant to non-flammable taser "friendly" propellant cn and cs blend to just straight out OC...the very best is the older alcohol propelled FOG or CONE pattern with a combination of both a choking agent such as CS along with CN and a %15 oc amount..Sabre makes some of the best stuff you can get...stream sucks..you wan't to coat the face not just go for an eye...
    Cheesewiz likes this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

The working agent of OC are small particles. Also in an oily solution. To achieve results the particles have to come in contact with the mucous membranes. It's more difficult to come in contact when OC is applied in a stream. The particles literally have to work their way through the solution. Therefore the time for results is a bit longer with a stream spray compared to a cone spray when all circumstances else are the same. With gel/foam it's even worse I think. You also can wash away some OC particles from the face if you stream spray too long or with a second burst. You have to weight this against other advantages of stream sprays, e.g. less affection from wind, less chance to hurt innocent bystanders.

Here in Germany it's nearly impossible to carry firearms on the street, so OC is an important (albeit unreliable) part of my defense. I use Fox Lab 5.3 cone and foam. I don't like to use a cone in narrow spaces, f.e. an underground where you cannot leave immediatly and other people can be affected.

Stream. Less chance of you getting affected but wind blowing it back to you. I've been sprayed three times in training and it sucks, bad. You can fight through it, we had to as part of the training, but why not lessen your chances of getting hit with it?

There are many treads about Stream vs Fog vs Cone. Try using the search before posting the thread.

My impression of pepper spray in any form is that the conditions must be absolutely ideal to use it. This means no wind, rain, masks, and what have you. Another thing about pepper spray that I gathered from bringing the issue up in the LEO/MIL threads here is that if you are going to use it in a SD situation you better be prepared to get it all over yourself as well. Not worth getting in my opinion. But still better then nothing if nothing is what you have.

there is also a better chance of "missing" your target with the stream versus the fogger...Actually missing includes hitting your fellow Officer versus your target. Same concept with a shotgun scatter versus one single inline round your chances are much better when it's a cone or dispersed better. Ive been hit plenty of times by other officers directly in the face by streamline earlier pepper gas versus the fogger. Sure you are gonna get exposed some to the fog but not as bad as a direct hit.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

when it's used in the right way none of those factors matter as much unless you are talking about huge wind gust. We are talking about point blank deployment and we are trained to spray in a zig zag direction like zoro to assure some eye exposure. When we had the streamline we would aim for the nose most of the time so it would splash better. Fog cone is better. It really is.

As posted above the best way is to be sprayed and learn if you can deal with said product. Having been sprayed, many times, and experienced a disco hut for riot control ( gas chamber- canister gas ) its not fun but it lets you learn much about yourself . :) Ive emptied most of a can on some people and they just look at you....so results may vary :)

In my opinion there is a huge difference wether you look for irritants for civilian use or LEO/security personal use. LEOs have to get the guy, they have to come to grips with him and arrest him. They possibly have to apply the irritant from some distance and then use unarmed force to subdue the individual. Civilians on the street without guns (a typical szenario in most countries of the western world I think, perhaps with the exception of the USA, Switzerland and Israel) should get away from the danger if possible (with a gun you should also get away in the first instance imho). The irritant system you use should fit into this scheme.

As I saw the OP is from Germany. You could use a tear gas gun with pepper and CS cartridges mixed. It is the extreme form of delivering the irritants aerially. It denies an area and offers the best chances to avoid getting attacked. You don't have to aim, too. You only have to get away fast to avoid self-contamination - and getting away is by and itself your best option anyway.

I have been hit with both a spray and the stream in training, i can vouch that both SUCK equally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links