Kansas City knife laws

Kansas City knife laws

This is a discussion on Kansas City knife laws within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any good resource for knife laws? Down here for work and sadly left My Glocks home because my Montana permit doesn't cover Kansas. I did ...

Thread: Kansas City knife laws

Kansas City knife laws

Any good resource for knife laws? Down here for work and sadly left My Glocks home because my Montana permit doesn't cover Kansas.
    I did bring my Esee Izula and I know I'm legal to carry it in MO with my Montana permit. But I looked and and saw Kansas says any ordinary pocket knife is legal under 4". But this is a fixed blade knife of 2.88"...

In God and Glock we Trust

VIP Member
    Hmmm. Fixed blades are not legal in MO, I believe. They have made some modifications to the MO weapons statutes that changed some of the knife laws but I believe that a fixed blade could still cause you trouble. Your weapons permit doesn't cover knives (at least here in MO) so if I were you, I'd avoid carrying it just to be safe. I can't tell you much about the Kansas side because I don't really keep up with their knife laws.

Were it me, I'd just keep the Izula packed up and go without, just to be safe.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Columbia, MO paid up b/c they arrested a guy with a fixed blade and lost. The concealed carry law states handguns, but other statutes state that any carry permit allows knives. See 571.030 1.(1) and 571.030 4.

Looks like you're hosed wrt a fixed blade in KS.

Sitting in on a MO CCW class last summer they said a carry permit covers knives....

Also read into the KS laws a bit. It had a thing saying, "with intent to inflict harm" or something along those lines. So if my intent is lawful use...???

Then I'm guessing a fixed blade would be considered a "dirk" or a "dagger"?

Amazing how confusing laws get when you leave "Cowboyville"!

In God and Glock we Trust

VIP Member
    The Missouri AG has stated in writing (I'll see if I can find a link) that the MO weapons permit is specifically for concealed firearms and anything outside of that is not going to be protected by the CCW. There's a whole bunch of dissent to that, and I've seen several well respected activists that claim that the CCW does indeed cover weapons, as opposed to just firearms.

My personal opinion is the letter of the law should protect you, but don't be shocked if some law enforcement official doesn't see it that way and arrests you for a weapons violation because there isn't (to the best of my knowledge) a well established common understanding of the application of the CCW to fixed blade knives. Do I think you could carry it? Yes. I'm just not sure if it's worth the potential headache if a LEO takes exception to it.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Kansas law on knives

Kansas law permits carrying a knife up to 4". It is considered a pocket knife and is legal. I am not sure about the statute as to fixed blade knives, but you can easily check it. Go to kansas.gov, check statutes on weapons control.

After July 1 , about any knife you want..... big changes in the knife laws were passed and signed. Also after July 1 , will recognize the CC license of any state. You just had bad timing..... LOL.

Present "State" Law (I think you are looking for )
    KSA 21-4201: Criminal use of weapons.

Don't know on Ks City specific laws.

Did find this (Much of Ks City , Ks .. is in Wyndotte cty) :

In Wyandotte County and Kansas City, the legal length limit for pocket knives is three and a half inches

Kansas Knife Laws | eHow http://www.ehow.com/list_6803652_kan...#ixzz2UBI6or2C
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sponsored Links