Large folder - Buck, Benchmade,or Spyderco - Page 2

Large folder - Buck, Benchmade,or Spyderco

This is a discussion on Large folder - Buck, Benchmade,or Spyderco within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well for a basic load carry I like (and carry) a Spyderco Endura that I have had since 1990. I have carried other similar models ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large folder - Buck, Benchmade,or Spyderco

Well for a basic load carry I like (and carry) a Spyderco Endura that I have had since 1990. I have carried other similar models with a pocket clip but still go back to what I have always used. In a wilderness survival situtation it would be a different story but that is my norm.
    Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

LaP
    My Buck Strider ($50 low end version) holds an edge fine. I like the strudy construction, heavy duty blade, and great fit in my hand. It opens fast one handed...doesn't look "tactical = dangerous", and for the price, I don't cringe when putting it thru some rough treatment.

In the realm of Buck, Benchmade or Spyderco I would recommend the Spyderco for a pocket folder, the Buck for a folding hunting knife and I would not recommend a Benchmade.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    My own recommendation would be the Spyderco Military, or the Chinook, or the Manix.

I have a few Benchmades too, but the only really "large" one I have is the AFCK. Not even sure if you can still get them, and they go for over $100. (Most of the knives of the type and brands you mentioned are somewhat over $100.) I like my Elishewitz Dark Star, too. It has gold anodized titanium liners.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    In the realm of Buck, Benchmade or Spyderco I would recommend the Spyderco for a pocket folder, the Buck for a folding hunting knife and I would not recommend a Benchmade.
    Wow. De-recommending Benchmade, but recommending Buck?

In my view, Buck has been churning out nothing but Walmart-level crap!

Benchmade, on the other hand, makes some serious quality knives! Even the ones they have made in Taiwan (only a small part of the lineup) are well-regarded.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Wow. De-recommending Benchmade, but recommending Buck?

In my view, Buck has been churning out nothing but Walmart-level crap!

Benchmade, on the other hand, makes some serious quality knives! Even the ones they have made in Taiwan (only a small part of the lineup) are well-regarded.
    es tut mir fruchtbar leid!
    Ruger and Marlin are also found at wal-mart.
    In my personal experience Buck has been the best for me growing up on a farm, hunting, fishing, camping, taking care of haybale string (the torture test) and my Buck knives still are awesome edge holders and are still under the Buck lifetime warrenty ;) My great grandpaw, grandpaw and paw swear by them, I swear by them from personal abuse and flawless use.
    I love Spyderco as well, it is my everyday knife! :D

You still have to watch Buck on some things.

The last folding hunters I saw that were made in the USA and discounted @ $20 I bought 4 of to put back just in case.

Sure enough this year the new Buck gift sets at Wally World say Made In China, period, nothing about the knives being USA made that I could see. Though these are not the hunter models.

Quote Originally Posted by MTHall49 View Post
    In the $100.00 or a little more, price range, anyone know of an unusually good large folding knife that will hold a decent edge, and appears to be fairly good quality overall?
    I love Spyderco knives!! For me, they are very good quality knives at a very reasonable price. I have 2 that I will suggest. The Para Military and the Mini Manix. Both are very nice knives and should serve you very well. The Mini Manix is built like a tank. The Para is light and strong. Both have G10 handles and both have S30V steel blades. You could not go wrong with either one. Here are some pics for you.

Ron

The Para Military

The Para and Delica4

The Mini Manix/Caly3/Para Military
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Senior Moderator
    My two folders that I carry is a Sypderco and a Gerber. I carry the Gerber more now becuase I need to sharpen the Spyderco and have been lazy.

MiniManix?

Is the Mini Manix the one on the top in the last picture? I guess that means there is a full sized manix? Is the Manix the one you would say has one of the stronger blades in the Spyderco lineup?
    Thanks for providing the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    I love Spyderco knives!! For me, they are very good quality knives at a very reasonable price. I have 2 that I will suggest. The Para Military and the Mini Manix. Both are very nice knives and should serve you very well. The Mini Manix is built like a tank. The Para is light and strong. Both have G10 handles and both have S30V steel blades. You could not go wrong with either one. Here are some pics for you.

Ron

The Para Military

The Para and Delica4

The Mini Manix/Caly3/Para Military
    The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance

Quote Originally Posted by MTHall49 View Post
    Is the Mini Manix the one on the top in the last picture? I guess that means there is a full sized manix? Is the Manix the one you would say has one of the stronger blades in the Spyderco lineup?
    Thanks for providing the pics.
    Yes, the Mini Manix is the top knife in the last picture. The Mini is not a small knife so don't let the name Mini throw you. It is one strong knife and yes, I would say that it is one of the strongest blades in the Spyderco lineup. It is a very nice knife!! This knife will take whatever you throw at it!
    If you have never dealt with New Graham Knives before, they are FANTASTIC people to deal with. They are the best. Here is a link to the Mini Manix on their website.
    http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4398
    I hope I have helped you.

Take care, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

SOG Pentagon Elite II
    Last edited by dairycreek; February 22nd, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

The best hard duty folder and TOUGHEST as well is none other than one of the following:

Spyderco Manix
    Spyderco Chinook

I know BM and others make good blades and knives, but all things considered, look at the make up of those 2 knives, see the torture tests done to the 2 of them and tell me if another blade can hang.... I dont think they can.

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Yes, the Mini Manix is the top knife in the last picture. The Mini is not a small knife so don't let the name Mini throw you. It is one strong knife and yes, I would say that it is one of the strongest blades in the Spyderco lineup. It is a very nice knife!! This knife will take whatever you throw at it!
    If you have never dealt with New Graham Knives before, they are FANTASTIC people to deal with. They are the best. Here is a link to the Mini Manix on their website.
    http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4398
    I hope I have helped you.

Take care, Ron

I couldnt agree with Ron more. I live in east Tennessee and i make frequent trips to see Mike up at NGK. He owns the store and they are the absolute best to deal with. Their prices are the best and the CS is top notch! Listen to Ron, he has done his homework and knows...

Oh yea, the Manix.

T
    A
    N
    K

For the money, the Spyderco endura is a great knife. I like my Spyderco stainless handle police model also.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links