Large folder - Buck, Benchmade,or Spyderco

This is a discussion on Large folder - Buck, Benchmade,or Spyderco within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the $100.00 or a little more, price range, anyone know of an unusually good large folding knife that will hold a decent edge, and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large folder - Buck, Benchmade,or Spyderco

In the $100.00 or a little more, price range, anyone know of an unusually good large folding knife that will hold a decent edge, and appears to be fairly good quality overall?
    The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance

Define "Large"! I carry a Cuda Maxx 5.75" on occassion, and I know several guys that carry the XL Cold steel Voyager- both are excellent blades.

In the 4" range, I confess a prejudice for Spyderco then BM. Buck was just too late in the SD/utility folder market, and so they haven't had any practical improvements. Not knocking Buck's quality, just the offered packages don't fit my needs.

Spyderco's waved Endura is my EDC, currently.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I am a big fan of Emersons and carry a CQC-7 daily. However my "large" folder is from CRKT and is made off the Bob Kasper designed knife that Pat Crawford origionally made. It is called the Crawford/Kasper Black and has a great blade, LAWKS blade lock, which once engaged might as well be a fixed blade as it will not close. http://www.crkt.com/tactflds.html

I have carried this knife in addition to my Emerson when I thought I might need a fixed blade but couldnt carry a large fixed blade. It works and only cost about $75.00.

Oh just FYI, Bob Casper passed away not to long ago. He had taken a break from his KNI-COM school to recruit for one of the large contract companys. He will be missed.

One final thing, to open the knife all you have to do is flick your wrist. Bob was real big on a blade opening with a single flick of the wrist.

Take care and good luck.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

my three favorite large ones are the cold steel X2 voyager, the Spyderco Military and the Benchmade Skirmish.

My military is one of the ones with a black blade made for moteng.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I vote for...

I vote for Benchmade. I have several Benchmade knives and love them all. They hold such a good edge and the steel is hard enough that you almost need a diamond stone to put an edge back on should you bugger it up. They will also sharped it back to a factory edge if you send it back with$5.00 for S&H. They are by far the best knife that I have ever owned. Just look at their web site for the models, then find a local dealer for the best prices.

Excellent question. The answer is 4-6 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Define "Large"! I carry a Cuda Maxx 5.75" on occassion, and I know several guys that carry the XL Cold steel Voyager- both are excellent blades.

In the 4" range, I confess a prejudice for Spyderco then BM. Buck was just too late in the SD/utility folder market, and so they haven't had any practical improvements. Not knocking Buck's quality, just the offered packages don't fit my needs.

Spyderco's waved Endura is my EDC, currently.
    I was thinking of 4-6 inches. Any idea the price on the Cuda Maxx?
    The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance

Administrator
    I think the Buck folders are extremely difficult to sharpen with a lasting and good cutting edge unless you use a diamond sharpening system.
    It seems like you have to completely remake the edge bevels starting with Extra Coarse every time you sharpen in order to get a hair shaving edge.
    They are true aggravation to "field sharpen" and quickly dress the edge to a keen razor sharpness.
    Just my opinion on that and I'm sure some folks will disagree but, I personally would never buy another Stainless Buck folder for that reason.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Benchmade makes some good knives, not as good as a CRK product, but far less money.

I have a CR fixed blade and Sebenza Classic. No need or want for any others, but a I wouldn't turn down CZ-USA model Benchmade folder.

Quote Originally Posted by MTHall49 View Post
    You really have to shop- I got mine from a FS post on another board for $90. I've seen several on Ebay, in the last couple of months in the $100-120 range. If you can get used to the feelof a folder that size, they are worth it. I like the XL voyagers also, but the Cuda Maxx has a much slimmer profile.

i would suggest the spyderco chinook, either version. it's a pretty beefy knife, nothing like what spyderco normally offers. the xl voyagers from cold steel are good, too.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I guess ( like guns ) I don't have much brand loyalty when it comes to knives , depending on what i am doing that day i carry a spyderco police , crkt m16 , or a gerber ( dont remember the mod , but semi serrated with a skinning type blade ) . I see large knives as tools more than weapons and consider some serration nessicairy on day to day carry knives .
    I do prefer partial serration to handle cardboard , twine from bales , rope , ect.. while having some conventional edge to razer up good .

Imho for most folks Large folders are a lot like ccw guns , should be descrete.. so like a gun pick what you can carry unobtrusively . Most in the close to $100 range will hold an edge ok , so go on style and how it fits your wardrobe .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I like the American made Schrade LB-7.You can still find these if you look around on the net but they are going fast.The new ones are made overseas.

Benchmade Skirmish. Nuff said.
    Keep your powder dry

Quote Originally Posted by MTHall49 View Post

I also carry the CUDA MAXX 5.5 and it is one great knife..light, flat, easy to carry for a big knife, shaving sharp and BIG . Retail is $200.00 but if you find the right dealer you should be able to get one under $150.00...well worth the money.

One problem...Camilus is having problems and my go under. Just finding one to buy may be a problem now and who knows what the knives will be worth if the go...

Bob

My Buck Folding Hunter has done everything from "discourage" a drunken Frat Rat from picking on freshmen ROTC cadets to skin an ELK and gut a wild Hawg. Strong spine and holds an edge well. I've had it since high school. In 1975 IIRC it cost about $50. Little bit on the heavy side though. These days I carry a Spyderco Delica partial serrated. However, I have no job that I might call upon a blade to perform that requires a six inch blade, though.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links